Valvoline Synpower 5w20, 5000mi, '99 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I purchased this car last year... It was previously owned by some elderly people. I've tried different 5w20 synthetics in it every 5,000mi since the unit had 100,000mi (I bought it when it had 98,000mi on it). So far, I have used Mobil 1 5w20, then Castrol Syntec 5w20, and this last run, Valvoline Synpower 5w20. Since the car seems to be doing well, I'll gradually back down to some dino's (like Chevron, Havoline, or Pennz from Shucks) and then sample again next year. I'm currently running Motorcraft 5w20 and have enough for a couple more changes. I've been using Motorcraft oil filters as well.

CrownVic.jpg

Yeah, I told them in the notes that I was thinking about switching to dino. I just wanted to see how the engine was doing so far before I did that (paranoia). I really like the 5,000 OCI, easy to remember:)

Quote:

Looks really good. B/S Lab's comments crack me up.

Yeah, the comments section on a Blacktone UOA should have the following disclaimer at the bottom: "For entertainment purposes only."

Yeah it is at least ironic (until I read that he told him he plans to change to dino)......a pretty good "synthetic" report and they say they all run conventional! Reminds me a of an (old) Groucho Marx joke.

Quote:

I wonder how Valvoline Synpower 5w20 stacks up against conventional Valvoline 5w20.

should this question be phrased "I wonder how conventional Valvoline 5w20 stacks up against Valvoline Synpower 5w20." as you should compare up quality when using "stack up" terminology? Etc. I wonder how a custom ricer stack up against a Ferrari instead of the other way around.

Sorry for the rant. I find it amusing when people question synthetic power over dino, especially when looking at 1 brand.
repost.gif

Quote:

Yeah it is at least ironic (until I read that he told him he plans to change to dino)......a pretty good "synthetic" report and they say they all run conventional! Reminds me a of an (old) Groucho Marx joke.

Thanks:) This is why their comments were the way they were. I just wanted to see how the car was doing so far and was considering using Shuck's rebate oils after my Motorcraft supply is finished.

I was sorta hoping that iron would be in the single digits, but oh well... Perhaps 10 is good for a Ford 4.6L? The flashpoint, visc, and everything else looks great so I ain't complainin' The engine ran fantastic on the three brands I've tried so far. After I finish my next three runs of MC 5w20, I'll sample again.

Thank you for the comments
smile.gif

Quote:

I find it amusing when people question synthetic power over dino, especially when looking at 1 brand.
repost.gif

offtopic.gif
Not to take this too far off-topic, but could you explain to me the "power" of synthetic over 'dino' for normal street driving and reasonable OCIs? In simple terms please, I must be a little slow to not grasp something that is so obvious.

Iron - 2ppm per 1000 mi...
I think the only way to reduce it more is by slapping on a Toyota Badge.

Iron tends to rise in linear proportion to mileage.

Quote:

Not to take this too far off-topic, but could you explain to me the "power" of synthetic over 'dino' for normal street driving and reasonable OCIs? In simple terms please, I must be a little slow to not grasp something that is so obvious.

Extended drains
Cleaner engine
Extreme engine temp insurance
(even a few degrees difference may mean not looking at a repair/replacement job - versus needing a repair/replacement)

Quote:

Quote:

Extended drains
Cleaner engine
Extreme engine temp insurance
(even a few degrees difference may mean not looking at a repair/replacement job - versus needing a repair/replacement)

Cleaner engine using synthetic, says who? I've read post after post on this forum from people running conventional and using a reasonable oci for their engine and have spotless engines after a couple hundred thousand miles. So how can anyone say an engine is going to be cleaner if you run synthetic? The only way you could assert that is if you are running the conventional on rigorous 6-10k oci's under stressful driving conditions...

Says me. Every engine and driving style is different.
When you add up the multiple variables available, synthetics are definitely cleaner in engines across those variables. Sure, many don't need synthetics. But, many do.

The question should be how much longer can this oil be run? Any labeled syn oil should be able to go many more miles before changing.

Quote:

Cleaner engine using synthetic, says who? I've read post after post on this forum from people running conventional and using a reasonable oci for their engine and have spotless engines after a couple hundred thousand miles. So how can anyone say an engine is going to be cleaner if you run synthetic?

There's a ton of info on the internet that says you're wrong. You can start by-way of google.com search engine - by typing "synthetic oils keep engines cleaner" (or) "cleaner engines using synthetic oils" in the search box.

Quote:

Quote:

I personally would buy some Amsoil 0-20 and a Eao oil filter and triple the OCI and save some money. See how Blackstone likes those savings
laugh.gif

Is the triple the mileage guaranteed?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

15K can be done with a UOA...it is
crackmeup.gif
guaranteed
tounge2.gif
for 25K. Synpower performs just like a good group 4/5 synthetic, but 5K is a reasonable number to change it at. A group 3 synthetic does not go the distance of a 4/5 synthetic. Synpower 5X3=15K plus 3 filters...about 80 bucks. Amsoil 0-20 and a Eao about 60 bucks and less labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back