Valvoline Synpower 5w20, 5000mi, '99 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Not to take this too far off-topic, but could you explain to me the "power" of synthetic over 'dino' for normal street driving and reasonable OCIs? In simple terms please, I must be a little slow to not grasp something that is so obvious.

Extended drains
Cleaner engine
Extreme engine temp insurance
(even a few degrees difference may mean not looking at a repair/replacement job - versus needing a repair/replacement)

• Extended drains ,But not always with the best results.

• Cleaner engine ,usually ,maybe,not always.

• Extreme engine temp insurance ,what do you mean high oil temperatures? few degrees? 300 degrees ok 307 degrees part fails ?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I personally would buy some Amsoil 0-20 and a Eao oil filter and triple the OCI and save some money. See how Blackstone likes those savings
laugh.gif

Is the triple the mileage guaranteed?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

15K can be done with a UOA...it is
crackmeup.gif
guaranteed
tounge2.gif
for 25K. Synpower performs just like a good group 4/5 synthetic, but 5K is a reasonable number to change it at. A group 3 synthetic does not go the distance of a 4/5 synthetic. Synpower 5X3=15K plus 3 filters...about 80 bucks. Amsoil 0-20 and a Eao about 60 bucks and less labor.

ok lets see 5,000 mile oil changes without a uoa ,but 15,000 miles if a uoa is done. That is the Amsoil secret.

With SM oils being so good, I see a major shift on BITOG. A lot of people are using store brand SM oils and changing them ever 5-7k miles. I drive too much to be doing that so I'm using Amsoil.

These comments are more from the mature crowd, buster. Doing 5k is a very major part of their annual drive. There's no other reason to waste oil on 5k OCIs unless it's occupying 6 months (or more) of your life. Even those doing 5k (or 6 months) OCI look at great UOAs time and time again ..with ample apparent life left in the oil (good TBN, no fuel, H20, visc good)..and still continue to do 5k OCI. Those doing higher annual mileage that still insist on 5k OCIs are just into 'habits'.

I don't care what oil I run. 6 months works for all except the most severe service. Oil selection in that mileage span, however long or short, should either be dictated by sensible economics, or the severity/length of the duty.

About the 25k OCI boasted by Amsoil on some of their oils. Does anyone here (there may be one or two) do 25k in one year?? Most of the "protesters" aren't doing 10k ..so I don't think that their opinion is based on sound reasoning and certainly not experience. At 25k a year no one is using a car for going to the local supermarkets to get todays sale items for the empty nests needs. They're driving an average of 500 miles a week. How much of that is subject to the majority of insults that degrade oil? Even with fuel dilution, and the elevated wear markers that come with it, my daughter did 9k/13m and an oil like RTS was STILL OIL. It was still suitable for continued use. Now the wear marker profile was not favorable and indicated the need for corrective action, but that's exclusive of the oil's ability to do its job.

I think everyone here should establish a multitest relationship with Terry. I think that the education aspects alone make it worth the trip. If you pay attention, you can get a fuzzy view of how he can integrate the data. It's almost like pharmacology, you have direct acting agents, and those that act on a tertiary level. Sometimes it's the outside influences degrading the oil and causing a problem, sometimes it's just the outside influences indicating a correctable problem with no effect on the oil whatsoever. He can slice up a UOA from multiple angles. Now, sure, you can point out the cost of the service and rationalize that you can just do another 5k OCI and sleep well at night. OTOH, during the 15th Century most of the western world KNEW that the world was flat and slept well with that knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back