Castrol Edge not fully synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Castrols German website, translated to English of Course, and they have the Edge line (which is supposed to be their top), then they have another line called full synthetic.

Anyone shed some light?
popcorn.gif

So Edge is their 'top of the line', but is a G3?

I thought that Edge replaced Softec TXT (which I also thought GC was), AND that these were G4's?

I would have thought the fully synthetic to be the top

Quote:

in europe they cant get away with calling G3 oils synthetic like they can here.

Yes they can. Shell, Castrol, Agip, Fuchs etc. sell grp. III as synthetic in Europe.

Quote:

Yes they can. Shell, Castrol, Agip, Fuchs etc. sell grp. III as synthetic in Europe.

Exactly. I remember someone got some of the Castrol 0w-40 and 10w-60 tested in Europe, and the results pointed to it being Group 3.

Last edited:
Quote:

So Edge is their 'top of the line', but is a G3?

I thought that Edge replaced Softec TXT (which I also thought GC was), AND that these were G4's?

I would have thought the fully synthetic to be the top

GC cannot be equivalent to TXT because of viscosity: 0W-30 vs. 5W-30.

"Edge" is the name of a new product line where there are full synthetic and synthetic technology oils and which are positionned as a top in their categories. Think the only reason of its launching is to justify a price increase.

Castrol is still positionning lines depending on application:

Shop oils
Formula SLX, Formula SLX (LL01, LL01-FE, A1 and GM), SLX (LongLife 2/3 and R-Tec) and later Formula SLX Longtec, TopUp (DCO, LongLife 2/3, GTX A1 and GDT 505.01) and TXT Softec/Softec Plus/LL01, TWS

Retail oils
Formula RS, Power and Performance, different GTX, except A1, and different Magnatec

Some oils are discontinued. Interesting when TXT and Formula SLX were launched, there were not postionned as shop oils. And don’t be deceived with a wide range of oils: some of the are (were) often the same blend sold under a different brand name:

Formula SLX = GC green
Formula SLX LL01 = BMW LL01
Formula SLX LL01 FE = BMW LL01 FE
Formula SLX A1 = N.A.
Formula SLX GM = DCO TopUp = Formula SLX Longtec = GC gold
SLX LongLife 2/3 = LongLife 2/3 TopUp
SLX R-Tec = N.A.

Time will show how Castrol will position Edge.

Last edited:
Edge has been around Sweden for a number of years and is touted as fully synthetic along with RS and some,but not all, SLX, I don't know what group. The price however for 1 liter bottles is around $25 in the shops-gaah!

Quote:

I went to Castrols German website, translated to English of Course, and they have the Edge line (which is supposed to be their top), then they have another line called full synthetic.

Anyone shed some light?
popcorn.gif

Not exactly comprehensive answers can be found in the spec sheets (TDS) on the site:

- EDGE FORMULA RS 0W-40 and EDGE FORMULA RS 10W-60 are full synthetic oils

- EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 is an HC oil

- EDGE 5W-30 pedigree is not mentioned

- EDGE 0W-30 and Edge 0W-30 Turbo Diesel could be anything, because the description is just too vague ("developed with "Best Performance Synthetic" technology")

Last edited:
I've asked this before, but what is HC oil? Is it synthetic or not? I read that GTX7 and GTX9 Magnatec are HC oils. But are they synthetics?

HC generally means Group III.
Motul use the term 'Technosynthese', Fuchs use 'MC' or 'Molecularly Converted' for the same thing.

Quote:

I've asked this before, but what is HC oil? Is it synthetic or not? I read that GTX7 and GTX9 Magnatec are HC oils. But are they synthetics?

HC = hydrocracked mineral oil (Group III); it may be called "synthetic," because it's been processed enough (controversial flaming war topic), depending on where this type oil is marketed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back