Nissan Antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my truck uses Nissan Long Life Antifreeze. I inquired about this at the dealer and it's $18.50 a gallon! Cripes.

From reading this forum, I see the Japanese are using silicate-free OAT with phosphorus added. However, when viewing antifreeze specs from such fluids as Peak Global, they are silicate AND phosphorus free. Where can I find an OTC OAT antifreeze that has no silicates but phosphorus? Or am I stuck using the Nissan stuff.

*The reason I wish to purchase some is that there is some left over assembly crap that has floated up to to the coolant recovery tank and I wish to empty and refill. (first oil analysis was negative for antifreeze and the coolant in the radiator proper is beautifully green, so it's not a leak).

[EDIT] I have a 2004 Nissan Titan.

sometimes these days OE manufacturers put a couple pellets of 'bars leaks' or similar, to ensure that there are no problems. This appears like crud.

If its a new truck and youre unhappy about crud in your coolant tank, take it to the dealer and have them flush it.

Buying a high tech Japanese full size pickup is an expensive proposition, and along with all the fuel that thing must burn, you need to expect lots of high costs for things. In my experience, one of the main reasons why Japanese vehicles last so long is because they have a rigorous maintenance schedule that most owners dont bat an eyelid to, and get stuff done. There is lots of profit in that maintenance, because there is such a high markup on parts. Add onto it a weak dollar, etc and youre looking at many $$$.

But that said I would only go with nissan antifreeze, especially given the age of the truck, warrantee, etc. You dont want to screw up the coolant chemistry by accident and have some sort of sludge or effects upon gaskets, etc.

Coolant is the only fluid that I typically buy from a dealership. I dont want to chance it... And Ive been pretty successful... the radiator on my 83 MB was original at 21 years and 230k (using only MB coolant and the scheduled citric acid flush every time), and the one on my 91 BMW is original too.

JMH

I already took it to the dealer and they said it was normal for the stuff in the recovery tank to be dark. This happened after only 900 miles, btw. It bugs me though so I want to drain the recovery tank and put some nice green stuff in there, the stock Nissan LL is green.

I was thinking of just putting something like Peak Global or Pennzoil Universal ONLY IN THE RECOVERY TANK. However, I want it to be GREEN so that if the dealer looks at it, he won't know that it's not Nissan AF. When it comes time to do a full flush, I'll use the Nissan fluid.

BTW, my truck was not expensive, it's an XE Crew Cab 4x2 and I picked it up for $22,400. I was looking at Ford SuperCrew XLTs that stickered higher but also had bigger discounts, so in the end they came out about the same. I know maintenance is higher on Japanese vehicles but still it's not too bad if you do most of it yourself. I've already changed the engine oil twice in 1600 miles and the rear end oil to Schaeffer's 267 80w90.

I was contemplating new antifreeze for my 02 Maxima and discovered my dealer had a bargain on the Nissan branded stuff, $15/gal. Not liking this very much I got heavily into reading about the stuff here and elsewhere. After digesting everything, I concluded that Zerox G05 was as compatible as one could get. Since it's impossible to get 100% replacement by draining and flushing, whatever you use must mix without problems. Anyhow, I bought 2 gallons of GO5 from Autozone for $6.99/gal because they are selling all stock and don't plan on carrying it anymore.(Lack of demand I suppose. It is now in my garage and I'm nerving myself up for the job, both because it's a PITA and my car is still under warranty.

After I carefully studied the coolants available and consulted with several 'in the know' I settled with the Zerox G05 for the two Sentras I own and recently did coolant changes on.

After checking with Zerex, I now have Zerex G0-5 in both my Sentra and my 300Z, as well as both of my Jeeps. However, since you're still under warranty, I would make sure that changing coolant won't cause warranty issues.

I don't know why you all think G05 is compatible.

Nissan Long Life is OAT and has NO silicates but has phosphates.

G05 has NO phosphates and LOW silicates, it's an HOAT.

Y'all have fun, I'm not using G05.

quote:

Originally posted by Brons2:

They're not compatible for mixing, except for short-term use when it's that or run low on coolant.

However, you can do a complete drain and refill of the Nissan (or Honda or Toyota) coolants and replace with G-05.

Ditto a Dexcool-type coolant.

The risk to water pump seals with G-05 is minimal, but you gain a higher tolerance to air in the system.

And with both you lose the phosphate, which is can cause problems with hard water in the U.S..

So, from what I'm hearing there is no compatible "top off" antifreeze out there for nissan? I was planning on using some honda OAT stuff I have for my accord in my new altima. I too am curious about national brands and which is most compatible though.

quote:

Originally posted by DR:
So, from what I'm hearing there is no compatible "top off" antifreeze out there for nissan? I was planning on using some honda OAT stuff I have for my accord in my new altima. I too am curious about national brands and which is most compatible though.

I believe that PEAK Global Lifetime would be the most compatible as far as toppin off; Peak Global appears to be very similar to G 05, with the exception that Peak Global does not contain any silicates. Peak Global and G 05 both use sodium tertaborate for their corrosion inhibitor, as far as I know.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

quote:

They're not compatible for mixing, except for short-term use when it's that or run low on coolant.

However, you can do a complete drain and refill of the Nissan (or Honda or Toyota) coolants and replace with G-05.

Ditto a Dexcool-type coolant.

The risk to water pump seals with G-05 is minimal, but you gain a higher tolerance to air in the system.

And with both you lose the phosphate, which is can cause problems with hard water in the U.S..

The Phosphates in Japanese engines' antifreeze are used to coat the aluminum, which apparently it does much more quickly than the OAT salts.

As far as problems with hard water, you should be using distilled, deionized water anyways.

Of all the options, the Peak Global appears the best, I agree, if you can live without the phosphates. It does meet JASO standards, which no others appear to do. However, I will just probably swallow the $18 and buy the Nissan stuff.

quote:

Of all the options, the Peak Global appears the best, I agree, if you can live without the phosphates. It does meet JASO standards, which no others appear to do. However, I will just probably swallow the $18 and buy the Nissan stuff.

I hope that the Nissan isn't 50/50 premixed...if so...deng, a very expensive coolant IMO, even more than some european coolants of Audi/VW and BMW etc.

Like others, I do not believe there is an equivalent after market brand to the Nissan LL antifreeze. Except maybe Toyota's red coolant. So it is the one outrageously, over priced Nissan brand item I still buy for my Max and Altima. It's gotten up to $24-29 a gallon around here this fall. Still, I buy it cause finding a equivalent replacement cheaper is more trouble than what it's worth.

I'm with Bamaro, what harm can come from topping off a nissan factory fill with, in his case Peak global or in my case, Honda or new ex life Prestone? Glad to see you finally weighed in on this Ray H, you really helped me with that drain and flush procedure a few months back.

I would add Honda antifreeze to the short list of high dose phophates, no silicates, carboxylic acid HOAT antifreeze/coolants that appear to be the mainstay of current Japanese thinking*. I have no idea whether it's priced the same, higher, or less than its Toyota and Nissan counterparts. Honda's is dyed green. From what I've read, Honda car dealers only stock 50% pre-diluted coolant, but the concentrate is available through Honda motorcycle dealers.

*I have NO idea what the Koreans are thinking. All I can attest to is that when I drained and distilled water flushed my Hyundai's juice in late August (distilled water brew I used to replace the factory fill concoction has remained perfectly transparent green.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
OK, if I top off with Peak Global, what's the worse that can happen?
What is OAT?

Organic acid technology. HOAT is hybrid; it doesn't use 2-EHA as its corrosion inhibitor.

The Peak Global MSDS states that it's 2-EHA free, I don't know what they use in lieu of that.

Sodium benzoate - another in the list of carboxylic acid salts used as corrosion inhibitors. All can be used in the production of plasticizers. (None of these carboxylic acid salts, including sodium and potassium 2-ethyl hexanoate [2-EHA], are outright plasticizers themselves.) If there's cross contamination in a given cooling system that results in the formation of plasticizers and attendant gasket/seal damage, it would most likely have had a similar outcome with any of the various extended life carboxylic acid salt containing antifreeze/coolants. 5-year/150,000 mile extended life coolants are great - I've used 'em myself for over five years without incident, and in two cars it was the "dreaded" Havoline DEX-COOL. Just be careful to take the "extended life" claims with a grain of (carboxylic acid?) salt... Check frequently* and at the first sign of trouble have the cooling system flushed thoroughly and refilled with the proper concentration diluted with distilled or de-ionized water. Even $30.00/gallon coolant concentrate is cheaper than outright repair work.

*In addition to removing the radiator cap and visually checking with a bright light, I like to drain a small sample at the drain cock every several months with the engine cold. If it's clear and crud free (as it's usually been for me), it goes back into the overflow bottle. If it's cloudy or gunked at all (as the factory-fill coolant was in my '03 Sonata recently), it's time to get personal with my cooling system.

What year did Nissan start using the long life antifreeze? I have an 01 altima and the owners manual just says to use ethelyne glycol antifreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back