2014 Forester, Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drained the factory fill from our 14 Forester and replaced it with Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 0w20. The only location I have been able to source the Kendall is online and my local Wally World only carried 0w20 in Mobil 1 up until recently, which I will not use. Now, they have started to stock PP 0w20 in the 5 quart jugs. So, my dilemma now is which do I want to use? Any Subaru owners out there that have used both Kendall and PP? I am sure that both will work just fine, but any real world experience would be helpful.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I like the look of the add pack on the Kendall better than the PP, not by much though. But, enough to purchase it and have it shipped? Where I can just pick the PP up at Wally World 5 minutes away? Either way, I know it is splitting hairs, but, isn't that what we do here on BITOG?

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Mobil 1? I have a new Outback so I'm wondering what's up?

My Subaru dealer uses Mobil 1 80% of the time for maintenance under warranty. Mobil 1 0W-20 goes in the newer 4-cylinders and 5W-30 in the 6-cylinders (including my 2013 Outback 3.6L).

Between the PP and Kendall, I'd choose the Pennzoil product as it's slightly better in most aspects of new oil analysis.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html?utm_source=Copy+of+May+29+2013+&utm_campaign=June+3%2C+2013&utm_medium=email

Originally Posted By: Cooper
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I like the look of the add pack on the Kendall better than the PP, not by much though. But, enough to purchase it and have it shipped? Where I can just pick the PP up at Wally World 5 minutes away? Either way, I know it is splitting hairs, but, isn't that what we do here on BITOG?

A Pep Boys I shop at carries the Kendall 0W20. Do you have a Pep Boys near you?

The Kendall is probably very good and it is nice to see someone trying something other than PP, QSUD or M1.
In your position, I'd probably have taken advantage of the MIRs for new car registration available with PP and QSUD.
This is the reason that my '12 Accord has PP 0W-20 in it now.
I do have some HGMO SM 0W-20 on deck, though:)
How long will you run this change?

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Just drained the factory fill from our 14 Forester and replaced it with Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 0w20. The only location I have been able to source the Kendall is online...

There are several ConocoPhillips distributors in your vicinity that purport to sell Kendall oil. I buy GT-1 syn blend from my local distributor at $44.40/case and use it in 3 vehicles (2012 Veloster, 2010 Fusion, 2004 F-150) at 5K/6 month OCIs.

Last edited:
I have the same vehicle and recently swapped the factory fill for 0w-20 Kendall GT-1 Full Syn as well. Purchased online through a distributor. I also have a few jugs of PP I plan on running as well. With my plan of 5k changes, I don't think it's possible to go wrong with either of them.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

How long will you run this change?

I plan on running this change from 3k to 7.5k, at that time, I will start a 7.5k mile OCI routine.

Originally Posted By: jrsdws
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Mobil 1? I have a new Outback so I'm wondering what's up?

Of course the answer is nothing if it meets your spec. I have been using M1 0-20 for 3+ yeras now and find it to be outstanding for 10K+ OCIs. My engines are are very clean, quite, and have no oil consumption. Also M1 0-20 is easy to find as opposed to the little used Kendall 0-20. Some seem to think that an oil hard to accuire is a better oil.

I do like the Pennzoil rebate and warranty idea. I may go with PP on the next change to take advantage of the warranty.

Not sure of the aversion to M1 0W20, but at $22 for 5 quarts, I've stashed a 4 year supply for the wife's Vibe.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: jrsdws

Of course the answer is nothing if it meets your spec. I have been using M1 0-20 for 3+ yeras now and find it to be outstanding for 10K+ OCIs. My engines are are very clean, quite, and have no oil consumption. Also M1 0-20 is easy to find as opposed to the little used Kendall 0-20. Some seem to think that an oil hard to accuire is a better oil.

Okay. I thought maybe I had missed some known valid reason not to use M1 in the Subie. I'll be following the owner's manual schedule of 7500mi OCIs.

I don't like Mobil products. That is all there is to it. I have used Mobil 1 in the past and it made my engine louder..... From past experience, I don't have any interest in using their products again. YMMV.

Last edited:
Napa has a 0W-20 (made by Valvoline) on sale this month for 3.49 qt. That should be fine just like any other 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I am thinking you will like it in a boxer engine. I think it works well in them.

The Kendall or the PP?

Those linking the 5w-30 comparison on PQIAmerica in their references about additive packs, please be cautious as not all weights from the same product line will have the same add packs. The levels will vary. For ex. different weights of Mobil 1 have different weights.

0w-20 seems to have a bit lower levels of additives in general than the 5w-20/30 weights.

Originally Posted By: dgsbikes

0w-20 seems to have a bit lower levels of additives in general than the 5w-20/30 weights.

This is a good point. Could this also be because of additive depletion? I have only seen UOA results for the 0w20 in PP and Kendall FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back