Jaguar X-Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are these? They seem to be a good value. I assume that the 3.0 is the one to get. I see many with AWD; is this system okay on these cars?

I test-drove a gently used one at a dealer in '07. It was okay, but there was nothing special about it, nothing that said "luxury plus performance." The S-Type I drove the same day was better in those two departments, but it seemed cramped inside, and I'm not a big guy. If I'd driven the big XJ I might have felt differently.

You realize its built on the ford contour platform right? It might be a good deal used I suppose, but ive read problems with brakes and the AWD isnt reliable and is VERY expensive to repair. Also this variant of the 3.0 ford engine is an interference design.

The X Type is based on the European mk3 Mondeo platform.

The interior is better appointed than any Mondeo however but I don't think any amount of input from Jaguar engineers will completely hide its true origins.

The best ones are auto and 4wd.

They diesels for Europe which although better than the Mondeo diesel for refinement, they use the same engines and gearboxes, they are not as refined as some expect from a Jaguar.

They did improve over the years and were better towards the end of the production period apparently.
They are underrated as far as driving dynamics go if you go for the 4wd versions.

Do you even have the fwd only versions in the US?

They are not as roomy as the mk3 Mondeo probably due to the seats being somewhat plusher.

All of them sold here were AWD only, and V6 only, 2.5 and 3.0 litre. A few were sold with manual transmissions.

My sister bought a new one in '04 and still has it.

You can buy them used for pocket change over here.

why bother? Seriously? Get a Fusion with the Duratec and proven Aisin Warner trans combo as it is twice the car those "jag's" are.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
why bother? Seriously? Get a Fusion with the Duratec and proven Aisin Warner trans combo as it is twice the car those "jag's" are.

I guess I could, but it's a little above my budget. I'm looking for something at the $6-$7K price point.

Rolling problems and expensive to fix is the experience of two folks I know who wanted a Jag/luxury nameplate but could not afford it so they went with a used one of these.

Caddilac Cimmaron in Brit clothing.

I own one. A 2003 2.5L manual trans. I inherited the car from my late father, and I was prepared to hate it. (I'm a hard core sports car guy)

I've come to like it very much. It's a drivers car. It's got great throttle response, steers well, shifts well, excellent brakes, good ride and very good cornering (with good tires) . I even find it comfortable. Don't get me wrong, it's not fast, just responsive. Much more so than any of the rental cars I generally get. I prefer this 10 year old Jag to any rental, when it comes to driving dynamics and comfort.

I've had some issues. The 4wd transfer case had issues, easy for me to fix but not for someone else. Jag quoted me $4,000 to replace the TC. I fixed it for $100 by replacing the 2 bearings, sourced locally. Did not even have to remove it from the car.

The throttle body is throttle by wire and quite intolerant of dirt. It goes into "limp" mode and leaves you stranded. A good cleaning helps a lot. If it's too far gone, replacement is the only option. AND, they ain't cheap.

My rear bank cat is failing, along with the rear downstream O2 sensor. The cat is very expensive too. Guys on the forum have had success soaking the catalytic converter in a warm citric acid solution. But, it's a lot of work to remove it. So, I'm putting that off. The cat failed due to a misfire (bad coil)

The headlight internals are made out of a plastic that degrades rapidly. They then stop being headlights, and become owl-patrol lights, shining way up. It took me a weekend, but I repaired mine by removing the bumper, removing the wheel liners, removing the headlights, disassembly, and machining up new adjusters. I then installed HID's. Much better.

130,000 miles, most of which I put on the car. The 2.5L rev's out wonderfully. I use M1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in this little engine, as it gives the absolute best UOA's here. Runs better too, as the engine has cam phasers, which are quite sensitive to oil's that are too thin.

Don't spend too much on one. They are really cheap here in S. Florida. $4K gets you a really nice one. And, the later the model year, the better.

No electrical problems at all, as it's Ford stuff.

By the way, the engine is a Ford Duratec, but it has many tweaks that are "Jag only". It's much more pleasant than the Ford variety, more revvy too.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

By the way, the engine is a Ford Duratec, but it has many tweaks that are "Jag only". It's much more pleasant than the Ford variety, more revvy too.

Every X-type that comes into my shop has had a laundry list of electrical oddities. Radio displays that come and go, odd warnings on the display like "BOOT OPEN" when the trunk is definitely closed and "CRUISE NOT AVAILIABLE" when you haven't even selected cruise. Nothing to keep you from driving it. Just annoying.
21.gif
it is English....electrical problems happen.

The Jag AJ 3.0 looks just like the Mazda MZI except the Jaguar has an aluminum intake and plastic valve covers and the Mazda has a plastic intake and aluminum valve covers....I wonder if they interchange?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Every X-type that comes into my shop has had a laundry list of electrical oddities.

My sister has had an '04 since new. AFAIK, the only electrical problem she's had was the need to replace the battery. My '04 Xj8, also bought new, has had no electrical problems. It still has the original battery in it, that tests as new.

If memory serves me correctly, '04 was when Jaguar went to the fiber optic data bus - there really shouldn't be anything to go wrong.

Quote:
The Jag AJ 3.0 looks just like the Mazda MZI except the Jaguar has an aluminum intake and plastic valve covers and the Mazda has a plastic intake and aluminum valve covers....I wonder if they interchange?
smirk.gif

IIRC, and I don't really keep up with the X Type, the Jaguar AJ-6 had different heads, pistons, and some other internal parts that were unique to Jaguar. I also seem to recall reading ( in the magazine that Jaguar would send out ) that there was a separate assembly area in the factory just for the AJ-V6. Again, this is from memory and I really didn't keep up with the X Type that much.

You could probably get an AJ-V6 from a scrapper for not a lot of money and give it a try! What would that be, a Mazer? Jagza? A friend of mine's Mom had one of the Maserati TC's. We called it a Dodgearati.

I do sometimes wish I had bought one the X Type Estates when they were available, though.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Every X-type that comes into my shop has had a laundry list of electrical oddities. Radio displays that come and go, odd warnings on the display like "BOOT OPEN" when the trunk is definitely closed and "CRUISE NOT AVAILIABLE" when you haven't even selected cruise. Nothing to keep you from driving it. Just annoying.
21.gif
it is English....electrical problems happen.

smirk.gif

There is a known problem with the positive battery cable. It overheats at the terminal, causing many bizarre issues.

That's good to know
thumbsup2.gif
'cause every problem that happens on an X-Type seems to get blamed on my install.

I have to go through it with a fine tooth comb and document every issue it has before I even lay a wrench on it because of all the little things that show up on them.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh, not a real Jag, too much Ford.

After owning mine for many years, I totally disagree.

It's got all of the wonderful features of Jaguar ownership! Right down to the electrical quirks. If you did not know that they used Ford parts in this car, you'd swear on your life it was 100% Jaguar, the good and the bad.

For example, one day while backing up, I smelled that wonderful electrical burning smell so common to older Jags. I then noticed that the backup lights were not working and the alternator light was on. Fuse blown! Ok, replaced fuse and all was well.

Then again that same smell when backing up. Blown fuse again. This time, I had to drive it. Power steering was not working correctly, alternator light was on and backup lights did not work.

Come to find out, it's common for the backup switch on the transmission to "short to ground" if the manual transmission is forcefully placed in reverse.

Pure Jaguar!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back