Differential Pressure Gauge Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got my differential pressure gauges installed. Works fine. Instead of buying a single gauge, I just hooked up two Isspro stepper type pressure gauges with senders on either side of the filter using a Pareto base. As you can see by the pics, I am using all the ports on the base now. The picture shows the side of the base that faces the block and,yes, the hold-down bolt is in the wrong place in this photo. Here's a breakdown of where the ports go.

1) Filter Out: This is the only port on the base that reads the pressure on the clean side of the filter.
2) Sample port for oil samples.
3) Filter in: This sender reads the pressure at the inlet of the filter, just downstream of the oil pump.
4) This just shows you how the inlet ports are plumbed into the base.
5) This goes off to a Racor 3um bypass filter.

So, what was the diff pressure? It ranged from 4-6 psi on a Purolator P1 # PL24641 and MC 10W30 HDEO, both with about 12K miles on them. These are just preliminary numbers from one outing. I'll observer further and soon will datalog a cold start with a run to stabilized oil temp. Bear in mind, 7K of those 12K were with a bypass filter installed, which lessens the contaminant load on the primary filter. The list bypass pressure for this P1 is 8-16 psi and my biggest curiosity is whether the filter will bypass on cold starts.

The higher part of the range, 5-6 psi, is with cold oil at about 70-80F @ 2000 rpm and the lower numbers are from an oil temp around 150F. In this test, on a cool 44F day, the oil temp only reached 165F on a 15 mile test drive but I didn't see any changes in DP once the oil was a bit over 120F. I'll keep you posted.

BaseLR.jpg

Here is the Pareto base with the ports numbered. Don't ask for an installed shot becase it's so tight in there at the filter to be practically worthless visually. This is the Pareto Point MagDog base, which contains magnets to remove ferrous metals. I can't speak too highly of the quality of this piece. It ain't cheap but in this case it was worth the money to me. Normally, this base is paired with Pareto's parallel flow bypass filter which uses an Amsoil synthetic filter (I can't recall the micron rating). Here Pareto is the Pareto link, though in checking it today, it says "closed" for some reason. I hope that's not an indicator of any trouble there.

DPGaugesLR.jpg

Here are the two gauges with the oil at 153 (see top left numbers on Gryphon programmer which is set to read oil temp). The top gauge is the pressure before the filter and the lower one (reads the pressure after the filter. I'm holding the engine at 2080 rpm here and in case you can't read the gauges well, the top one (inlet) is reading 70 psi and the lower (outlet) is reading 66 psi making the differential pressure 4 psi.

It would be interesting to test a wide variety of filters, from the super cheap Chinese-manufactured ones all the way up to ones that are $10+ each. I'd be willing to throw some your way.

Kruse: That is my eventual goal to test a variety of filters. They have to be MC FL820S equivalents, though. It'll be a while because I have multiple tests going on here. I've got at least another 3K miles to go before this oil and filter gets changed.

redbone3: If you mean will a more efficient filter have higher differential pressure, not necessarily. It's true that a more efficient media may be more restrictive per square inch of media, but it depends on the media. If you compare a cellulose media with a synthetic fiber media with equal efficiency, the cellulose media will be the more restrictive (in almost all cases I can think of) but the filter manufacturers adjust for a more restrictive media by adding more media area to compensate so it levels out.

Also bear in mind that the Pure 1 is a highly efficient (99+% @ 20um) cellulose media blended with some synthetic fibers. As such, it would tend to be on the more restrictive side versus some others but look; 12K miles and it looks like it really isn't anywhere close to reaching a high level of restriction. Anyway, I have a lot of observation to do before I can reach too many conclusions.

For the sake of discussion: how hard is it to swap the gauge units? I would want to verify that some of the 6 psi difference isn't just variation between the two displays.

Originally Posted By: AITG
For the sake of discussion: how hard is it to swap the gauge units? I would want to verify that some of the 6 psi difference isn't just variation between the two displays.

It's a 30 second job. Good idea. That's something I hadn't thought to do, but I will. However these are very accurate stepper motor type gauges so I predict there will be no difference.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
I would expect that the better the filter, the greater the differential pressure.

Not necessarily. There are many factors that determine what the PSID will be across the filter. Having a lot of media area helps reduce the pressure drop. Fully synthetic media flows better than cellulose media, etc, etc.

Here's some bench testing that Purolator did on a PureOne. As you can see, the oil pressure drop across the filter is pretty small considering the flow rates.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2088884&page=1

Jim ... nice job on the gauge setup. Look forward to the data you're seeing.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

DPGaugesLR.jpg

Here are the two gauges with the oil at 153 (see top left numbers on Gryphon programmer which is set to read oil temp). The top gauge is the pressure before the filter and the lower one (reads the pressure after the filter. I'm holding the engine at 2080 rpm here and in case you can't read the gauges well, the top one (inlet) is reading 70 psi and the lower (outlet) is reading 66 psi making the differential pressure 4 psi.

As the oil temp goes up, the PSID will decrease at the same RPM. Of course, as the RPM goes up the PSID will also with constant oil temp (ie, viscosity). The most PSID will be seen with cold oil at high RPM.

Looks GOOD !!!

Looking for your data findings !! I LOVE test that put all [censored] aside with fact.

Great to see you're not wasting gage space!

Yes - it would be nice to see the two gages swapped to validate the readings. Of course, that same concept needs to apply to the actual pressure sending units as well! Probably too much effort now that the unit is installed.

I would have suggested something even easier, and cheaper. Take the two "input" leads and wire them to a toggle switch, where you can "select" the input from either sending unit. That way you at least eliminate one variable (two gages down to one). But then, that would be one less gage, and I suspect that's not in your plan.
grin2.gif

I'm sure the project will be a lot of fun, and reveal what most of us already agree upon. The filter represents very little to the overall deltaP of the lube system. And I suspect the element rarely ever bypasses once warmed up.

Last edited:
Dave: Don't think that idea will work because it's the Isspro Performax system. All the sensor inputs run to an ECU under the hood and then all the gauges are daisy chained on one wire in the cab. Google Isspro to read more about it.

Zee: Sensor is in the pan and reads bulk oil temp.

How does port 1 get pressure from the clean side of the filter? Isn't the threaded steel part that the filter screws onto (clean side) a solid tube?

Originally Posted By: jegs
How does port 1 get pressure from the clean side of the filter? Isn't the threaded steel part that the filter screws onto (clean side) a solid tube?

There is a gallery around the center bolt with a passage leading to port one. The center bolt is o-ringed and also has a port in it. When used as designed in a parallel flow bypass filter situation, my port 1 is the return from the filter.

Jim,

I have a Bosch D+ and an MC FL-820s that I will send to you for the testing. Let me know if you want them.

J.A, it looks like you have a 04-08 F150. Is there something special about it, or do you just like to monitor your fluids? Nothing wrong with that, I just thought it might be super charged or you pull trailers.
smile.gif

It's an '05 and I use it here at my farm as well as a test bed for testing products for my other job, writing for various auto related magazines.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: AITG

It's a 30 second job. Good idea. That's something I hadn't thought to do, but I will. However these are very accurate stepper motor type gauges so I predict there will be no difference.

No problem. I'll send you a bill ;-)

I've seen hundreds of hours spent chasing 'problems' indicated by gauges that turn out to be a gauge problem. We have a tendency to believe any instrument - human nature, I guess. Think Three Mile Island, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back