bypass valve pressure differences in 7317 size filters

I realize bypass pressure is a function of the filter - not specified by the vehicle OEM, and I also understand that it is the differential pressure across the filter aka delta P - not an absolute pressure rating. However I have observed a pretty good spread in several filters I own.

I was wondering, what is the primary criteria filter manufacturers use to select the bypass pressure rating?
Would a higher or lower pressure indicate anything about the filter media itself?

Examples. All of these supposedly cross for the 7317 filter size which is used extensively by most Honda and Nissan's and several other vehicles

• Fram ultra XG7317 - 13 PSI
  • Fram Orange Can PH7317 - 9 - 15 PSI
  • Wix 57356 - 8 - 11 PSI
  • Premium gard PG4612EX - 14 - 17 PSI

Last edited:
I think the only way you’d know for sure would be to have @Ascent Filtration Testing run the gamut of tests on them, but that’s really cost-prohibitive considering you’re talking about $4-10 filters.

Because of this, I’d simply rely on picking the best-rated filter and trust that the mfr did the proper math and testing, and run with that filter.

I think the only way you’d know for sure would be to have @Ascent Filtration Testing run the gamut of tests on them, but that’s really cost-prohibitive considering you’re talking about $4-10 filters.

Because of this, I’d simply rely on picking the best-rated filter and trust that the mfr did the proper math and testing, and run with that filter.
I plan on running all the above filters. I was just trying to understand what goes into the bypass pressure - if anyone knows?

I realize bypass pressure is a function of the filter - not specified by the vehicle OEM, and I also understand that it is the differential pressure across the filter aka delta P - not an absolute pressure rating. However I have observed a pretty good spread in several filters I own.

I was wondering, what is the primary criteria filter manufacturers use to select the bypass pressure rating?
Would a higher or lower pressure indicate anything about the filter media itself?

Examples. All of these supposedly cross for the 7317 filter size which is used extensively by most Honda and Nissan's and several other vehicles

• Fram ultra XG7317 - 13 PSI
  • Fram Orange Can PH7317 - 9 - 15 PSI
  • Wix 57356 - 8 - 11 PSI
  • Premium gard PG4612EX - 14 - 17 PSI
For one would be efficiency of filter & holding capacity that would decide bypass PSI.

Back