Genuine Toyota Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can these do a 10,000 mile interval with the best full synthetic oils?

I have never stretched one past 6,000 miles.

There is a similar thread here, but my car is a 1996 Avalon, not a Prius.

Thanks.

I took a used Toyota filter apart (Prius) and I was very impressed with the quality of construction and large amount of media. I currently have a Mobil 1 filter on my Prius but I would have confidence in going to a long OCI with a Toyota filter.

I only like the Japanese denso foam media, not thai denso glass blend media. these are the 10000 series other than the Yzz. The Thai's may be better now but they didnt work around DOM 2005-2008.

Originally Posted By: mva
I took a used Toyota filter apart (Prius) and I was very impressed with the quality of construction and large amount of media.
Was this the factory filter or an aftermarket filter from the dealer?

Pep Boys is running a Mobil 1 special with the M1 oil filter, which is designed for an extended OCI

Yes these can do a 10k OCI with M1 or other synthetic of its caliber (PU, Edge, anything ACEA A5/B5 should work). I have a 96 ES300 (same engine, same Camry platform)

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
After I watched this video of a Toyota OE foam, I would say pass entirely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cloYFhPwsHc
The vvti on a 1NZ would only phase properly with the factory Toyota-Denso filter 90915-10003. My dealer will not sell or order this unit stateside. Only other option that ran close to this was a Delco made by champ. Not Wix , Not Purolator, Not Bosch, not Fram. I tried tyhem all. Picky freaky motor.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
After I watched this video of a Toyota OE foam, I would say pass entirely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cloYFhPwsHc

What is it about this video that would make you avoid the filter?
confused2.gif

Looks very clogged and partially decomposed. Watch how the dudes fingers were able to pull the foam apart easily. Would hate to get a chunk of that causing a blockage somewhere. that visual formed my opinion which is all it is, opinion. No facts behind it.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
My filters in the stash have TOYOTA stamped on them. Would these be the foam ones?

I think only the Toyota/Denso filters made in Japan are the foamy type. The other Toyota/Denso filters made in Thailand are the typical pleated type.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
So these Thai production filters of mine - I wonder how they stack up?

According to the Amsoil tests per ISO standards, the Toyota filters don't so so well in the efficiency department.

I'm not a Toyota expert, but I have to believe that if Toyota says to run their filters 10,000 miles, you should have no problem.

Disclaimer: this is presuming an engine in sound mechanical condition.

The 90915-20004 are the foam ones made in Japan. I get them by the case of 10 from cruiserdan on www.ih8tmud.com. I run them on the first 4 cars in my sig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
the denso filter is not a foam filter.

It's wound differently that packs in a lot of filter in a small space.

the OEM Lexus Topyota P/n 90915-10004/3 are some sort of density (Foam/Synfibre) media - not pleated like you've shown - unless they made a running change. Ive ripped a few apart back in the days of my failing toyota engines ( 2AZ, 1nz) due to inappropriate spec/qc Thailand Denso filters.

looky HERE >
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1409407&page=1

Last edited:
You can order them here too,

http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217

But at $16 I have never been able to justify in my own mind they are so awesome I would pay that price.

That video creeps me out, touching used oil like that. Maybe I'm paranoid but still...

Originally Posted By: Gebo
The 90915-20004 are the foam ones made in Japan. I get them by the case of 10 from cruiserdan on www.ih8tmud.com. I run them on the first 4 cars in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back