Amsoil 0W-30 Honda S2000 40,700 OCI w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
...the amount of oils the OP added is skewing his UOA results...

That's a different issue which is usually accounted for in an engine UOA (make-up oil). Filtration level/type is not usually documented and assumed to be 'stock'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq
...the amount of oils the OP added is skewing his UOA results...

That's a different issue which is usually accounted for in an engine UOA (make-up oil).

No, it is not accounted for in the "result" of the UOAs. The wear metal reading (ppm) is a one shot look of the final used oil only. I can make my UOA look stellar by adding a quart every 500 miles instead of every 5000 miles. The UOAs have no mechanism to adjust for that.

Adding top-up oil is a different issue that is not that interesting compared to 1um filtration. Adding a quart of new oil every 500 miles is a terrible position to be in.

^That and there is no quantifiable data tracking the frequency of top up oil/change in ppm in typical UOA results seen on these boards; though anyone can be my guest to waste their entire life trying to get that together. (please dont)

Another thing to consider is, a UOA is a relative 'snap shot' of engine health to begin with. As long as lubricant properties appear fine, there is 'nothing' to definitively suggest an oil change of 40,000 miles or 4,000 miles will in of itself increase wear. Usually, it's a host of other 'factors' that dictate.

Of course the OP would not perform this OCI without the by-pass system for one.

You have to prove contributing factors in a specific application for reasons (such as service seen or FAILED parts not directly related to performing an extended OCI) that condemn the practice of extended OCIs as being 'unverified' via UOA; even if one has a by-pass set up or not. One course argue in some event the may be an oil flow issue by letting the bypass system go too long between filter changes and providing a source not stock of restriction to the system.

I suppose this: That this engine torn down will probably be no better off or worse for 'wear' as one that sees typical service(not referring to catastrophic failed engines of course).

Originally Posted By: martinq
Adding top-up oil is a different issue that is not that interesting compared to 1um filtration. Adding a quart of new oil every 500 miles is a terrible position to be in.

Yet, do you know GM stated that adding 1qt/1K miles is normal for a new Northstar motor under warranty? How about adding 1qt/500miles is normal for a new Corvette?

Last edited:
Yet, do you know GM stated that adding 1qt/1K miles is normal for a new Northstar motor under warranty? How about adding 1qt/500miles is normal for a new Corvette?

Still not interesting and still not a position I would want anyone to be in.

Interesting discussion. I'd like to add a few points that I took into consideration when I conceived my setup:

DalesS2 on the JeepsUnlimited forum showed clearly that if you slap a bypass on a car with dirty oil the contaminants and wear metals would be significantly reduced. Since his experiment allowed larger wear particles to accumulate and cause wear, it's possible (and IMO likely) that more larger wear metal particles were produced that could be removed with a BP.

I do believe that wear particles tend to be small and jagged (as seen in photos here on BITOG) and I'd be inclined to think a depth filtration media could snag them easier than rounded silicon particles of the same size. This isn't a fact - just an opinion.

DalesS2 posted his UOAs before and after the bypass installation and I don't recall any significant change in additive levels. And if you look at the additive levels in my UOAs you can see they aren't getting filtered out.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I suppose this: That this engine torn down will probably be no better off or worse for 'wear' as one that sees typical service(not referring to catastrophic failed engines of course).

Of course I beg to differ. There was a Government study done years ago that confirmed reduced wear due to bypass filtration. Several large truck fleets are seeing significantly more miles between major overhauls using bypass filtration. Time will tell, but I expect that my engine will outlast all other Honda S2000 engines. There currently are only a handful of S2000s with more miles than mine on the road.

^The only reason I posted that was because the implied 'cant see if the extended OCI is good or bad b/c all wear metals are being filtered out' questioning could imply that somehow your engine is wearing worse than other S2000s. My point was tear down and see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back