Barium 0

Phosphorous 723

Zinc 736

Viscosity 100*C 9.0

TBN 11.8

Oxidation 47

Nitration 15

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I thought that Amsoil did not believe in adding Moly to their oils? TBN looks good though

lol they caught up finally.

Looks good though.

They've been using moly for awhile now. Looks like the increased it for better fuel economy.

Yes, moly was in their previous formulation of some oils prior to "SN" and the re-release of their Signature Series Oil lineup. At least, the 0w30 flavor had 25-50 ppm or so. Now it's enough of a more meaningful shot(125-150 ppm).

Really, really like the add-pack that Amsoil is now using for the SS line of oils.

I know the 'old' ones performed well, but I just like to see lots of moly - I think it really helps.

Thanks for doing the VOA!

This makes me like AMSOIL for the 0W-20 and 0W-30 apps. 10k OCIs, appears to be what the oil was designed for...

Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps this oil is what i need.

Is this the oil designed for extended drains, that you can go 10k on the OCI?

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
This makes me like AMSOIL for the 0W-20 and 0W-30 apps. 10k OCIs, appears to be what the oil was designed for...

Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps this oil is what i need.

Is this the oil designed for extended drains, that you can go 10k on the OCI?

Most UOA's posted with ASM, it's barely breaking a sweat at 10K miles. Yes, it's a long drain oil.

Any idea what base oils they are using these days? The high oxidation reading suggests a good amount of ester. There are so many types. This oil does look really good and it's always held up pretty well. I don't know if it uses any VM's. It never shears.

Originally Posted By: buster
Any idea what base oils they are using these days? The high oxidation reading suggests a good amount of ester. There are so many types. This oil does look really good and it's always held up pretty well. I don't know if it uses any VM's. It never shears.

Here is my take. Nothing official.

The VI is relatively low. This always [censored] off some of the low flow nazi's such as Caterham. I say the oil will flow just fine, even in very, very cold situations. I have requested Amsoil run MRV tests, and they are taking it seriously. But it says something else - it says Amsoil is not doping their 0W oils with VII's - and you noticed it. It doesn't shear. HTHS of 2.8 for a 0W-20? Stout. Reason - blend of the correct esters and PAO's and no PPA's. VM's? Well - I'm not sure what amines are used nor am I sure what form the Mo is.

Thanks, I think you're right. That's basically what I thought.

The low flow oils are new and unique. They are pushing the limits of low vis. and if absolute maximum fuel efficiency is what you're after, then those are good choices. I think that is why CATERHAM likes them.

The Amsoil 5w20/0w20 have the lowest volatility according to Amsoil. I'd like to see the Noack on M1 0w20. I think it's definitely under 10% because it meets the GM 4718M spec. MRV specs are very good on that but the Tbn is 25% lower.

Most of the group III synthetics have higher volatility.

Originally Posted By: buster

The low flow oils are new and unique. They are pushing the limits of low vis. and if absolute maximum fuel efficiency is what you're after, then those are good choices. I think that is why CATERHAM likes them.

That's why I like them too, I want maximum MPG out of my Civic and I'm not driving it hard at all (hardly ever go above 2000 rpm!) so I know my engine will be fine with a low HTHS oil. I'd love to see more choices of these super thin 0w20s!

Originally Posted By: laki
Is Amsoil Signature 0W-20 will be good for Toyota Prius 1.8 2010?

Yes. Considering most people actually run 5W-30 in their Prius engines.

The Gen2 Prius owners may be running 5W30, but the Gen 3 (2010-2011-2012 ) specs 0W20, and Toyota's 0W20 is a very fine oil. Also, with a 214 VI, it is the lightest currently available and perfectly matched for the 2010 and up 1.8 Prius engine with it's frequent start/stop use.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
The Gen2 Prius owners may be running 5W30, but the Gen 3 (2010-2011-2012 ) specs 0W20, and Toyota's 0W20 is a very fine oil. Also, with a 214 VI, it is the lightest currently available and perfectly matched for the 2010 and up 1.8 Prius engine with it's frequent start/stop use.

I never said:

a) any thing different was specified for the 2010 (or 2010 or 2012), I just said what every single person that I have encountered, in real life, is actually running. To a PERSON. 5W-30.

b) anything is wrong with Toyota oil

ASM will be plenty robust to stand up to those start stop cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back