Info on Ford Racing Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any information on the qaulity of the Ford Racing Filter (CM-6731-FL820)

It's for a Mustang GT and I picked up a few at a good price (Same price as a Mobil 1 Filter) I do alot of Drag Racing so I need a Good filter any ideas.

I found a reference doing a search that someone stated that it is a re-branded WIX Filter (PN 51372)

Thanks...

Seems like a quality filter. Purolator made.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id11.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

welcome2.gif

Quick Question..
I was reading the sites descriptio on the filters and why is the location of the relief valve on the dome end a concern?

This was with the Denso 150-1014, Wix 51372, Mobil 1 M210, and K&N HP-2010 filters.

Well, there's different opins on base end vs dome end. The base end is generally considered preferable and Motorcraft specs it on their filters. The benefit being oil doesn't wash over the outer dirty oil/silk on the media on the inlet side when in the filter is in bypass. The downside is it generally leaves less room for the media.

IMO, it's not that big a deal but Ford likes base/thread end bypass and that's why it's spec'd on the MC filters.

HTH

A filter's efficiency is generally considered a major factor in what makes a filter better or worse. But also, construction such as metal endcap vs cardboard endcaps, silicone vs nitrile adbv and to some extent, type of media (synthetic v cellulose).

The cut apart shows some of these factors ie. media area, type of adbv and bypass location etc. By no means the final judge, just more information. Don't have to agree with authors conclusions, just read the specs and be your own judge. Check out river rat's bench tests on the board for more info.

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
Originally Posted By: sayjac

welcome2.gif

Hey Thanks..
The Second one has great information and reviews on all filters, sure they are his opinions but the pictures say a thousand words. I am impressed that the Motorcraft filter is better that Mobil 1 I may start using the Motorcraft filters again

Just curious what you see that makes you say motorcraft is better than the mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: sayjac

welcome2.gif

Hey Thanks..
The Second one has great information and reviews on all filters, sure they are his opinions but the pictures say a thousand words. I am impressed that the Motorcraft filter is better that Mobil 1 I may start using the Motorcraft filters again

Just curious what you see that makes you say motorcraft is better than the mobil 1?

The Qaulity looked better for one, it looked stronger.
In the specs it says that the M1 Filter efficiency (25 microns 99%)
and the Motorcraft states 20 Microns at 80% efficiency
To me the numbers are so close yet the Motorcraft is $4 and M1 is $10
I was just thinking price.

Maybe I am wrong.. I do not understand the Filter Efficiency Standard and Micron Ratings
The M1 (SAE J1858 Multi Pass @ 25 microns) 99.20% w/ Micron Rating 10
Motorcraft has 80% Rating w/Micron Rating 20

If it were between Royal Purple (20-820) and Ford Racing (FL820S) they are the same price
yet the FRPP product looks so much better.

Last edited:
fyi, I think the figures you used for the Motorcraft was the standard 820S. I didn't see an efficiency for the racing filter but my guess is it's more efficient. It does have substantially more media that the standard FL820S.

The M1 is much more efficient than the standard 820.

Mobil 1 filters are very sturdy filters with synthetic media which makes it good for extended drains. They are expensive when compared to say Wix/Napa or Pure One filters which is the only reason why they are not a favorite around here. With the mobil 1 deals at Autozone and Advance Auto, I use them as much as I use Wix or Pure One.

Maybe I am wrong.. I do not understand the Filter Efficiency Standard and Micron Ratings
The M1 (SAE J1858 Multi Pass @ 25 microns) 99.20% w/ Micron Rating 10

I believe those are correct, or nearly so, But neither Mobil 1, nor Champion Labs (who build it) give microns in the efficieny specs for the M1 filters.

I have got to hand it to you guys on this site, you really know your stuff.

I found a good answer to my earlier question

Quote:
To compare filters using micron ratings, the following is a good rule of thumb. A filter is considered nominally efficient at a certain micron level if it can remove 50 percent of particles that size. In other words, a filter that will consistently remove 50% of particles 20 microns or larger is nominally efficient at 20 microns.

A filter is considered to achieve absolute filtration efficiency at a certain micron level if it can remove 98.7% of particles that size. So, if a filter can remove 98.7% of particles 20 microns or larger, it achieves absolute efficiency at that micron level.

Most off-the-shelf filters are based upon a cellulose fiber filtration media. Most of these filters are, at best, nominally efficient at 15 to 20 microns. They won't generally achieve absolute efficiency until particle sizes reach 30 microns or higher.

High efficiency oil filters have filtration media made of a combination of at least two of the following: glass, synthetic fibers and cellulose fibers. Those that use all three are generally the best in terms of filtration. Those that use only two will fall somewhere in between. The best of these high efficiency filters will achieve absolute efficiency down to about 10 microns and will be nominally efficient down to 5 microns or so.

Last edited:
Wow Good info..

So the Best Filters for My Application are !!!

Ford Racing - $12
Royal Purple - $10
Mobil 1 - $10
Amsoil - $18

I am going to toss out Amsoil because I do not care about extended drain filters since I do my oil changes @ 5000 miles
no need to pay the extra cost. But I ordered a UOA so I can make my decision at that time whether to change at a higher milage. I need a Warm Fuzzy though to push me into extended drain intervals camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back