2002 dodge caravan transmission controle module?

Status
Not open for further replies.
per code on dashboard it looks like the tcm is toast. I have no gear selections on the dash and no speedometer or odometer functions and the transmission seems to be in limp mode.

Anyone ever have this problem? Per haynes manual it is located under drivers side front wheel and you need a code tool to do a quick learn if you replace it. anyone ever replace one is it hard any pitfalls to look out for?

Also this is our only vehicle is there any issues with driving it "city driving" while in limp mode until I can get it fixed???

Probably has a bad input/output speed sensor. Not really hard to change at all. Try pulling the battery cable first and see if it acts normal for a while.

Last edited:
from the symptoms, it sounds worse than a speed sensor. failure of either speed sensor will put the tranny in limp mode where it stays in 2nd gear. failure of the output speed sensor will render the speedo, cruise control, and odo worthless. but everything like you have? check for wiring problems first (broken wire, etc.)

Yeah I didn't catch the "no gear selections" part when I read it the first time. I would start by disconnecting the battery then check and clean all the ground connections.

Last edited:
It almost sounds like you blew a fuse that powers the dash cluster and possibly the TCM and/or transmission range sensor. I'd investigate that first.

Joel

Thanks for all the input!!!

we have checked all fuses and they are OK checked for wires and they seem OK. I had a fried who is a mechanic stop by with his code reader machine and he wiped out the codes which is what disconnecting the battery would do and it still has a problem.

looking on other dodge forums it seems to be a recurring problem with the dodge vans some suggest "flashing" the tcm 1st then replace if needed. I hope I don't need replacement since it looks like the only place to get one is from the stealership and online they have been priced at $550 to $650!!
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
37.gif

I am having to call the stealership this morning when they open to get the official part number from them and what they charge. I will take the part number to local parts stores to see if they cross ref... oreilly's requested we do that since the part was not showing up in their system but they said sometimes if they have the dealer part number sometimes they can cross ref it.

It really sucks since there was NO prior warning. It was fine when we parked then when we went to go again I went to look at the speed and noticed there was none, then noticed the other symptoms one by one.

Oh and the check engine light is on too. per my mechanic friend he thinks that the tcm took a dump and because of that the speed sensor is also not being seen by the primary engine computer so it is not getting the info it needs to run correctly. And so that is why the limp mode sort of a fail safe imposed by the computer since it does not know what is going on as there is no input from the sensors.

too many computers!!!!! not like the old days when you could fix most problems with a pair of pliers and a screw driver!!!

OK just drove it again!
57.gif

still:
NO gear selections
NO speedometer
NO odometer
check engine light IS on
does seem to be stuck in second gear or limp mode!!

codes via the key and dashboard method are:
P0500 "no speed sensor signal"
P1698 "no CCD messages from the TCM"

checked fluid it is full and clean and smells and looks good.

It should as it was just changed last month, not flushed but a dropped pan and drain. Yes new filter is the correct one and everything was double and triple checked all o-rings gaskets etc are correct and installed right. no leaks!!!
and yes the correct "synthetic" fluid was installed. old fluid was measured and the same amount of new fluid was put back in and checked again after a test drive...

that was a month ago with NO problems at all until today. In fact it was shifting better after the fluid change and seemed to drive smoother than ever.

This is also a "new" transmission as it was replaced new sept 2007 and is still under the 5 year warranty, however the TCM was NOT replaced with the transmission since it was OK then so it would NOT be covered under the warranty
frown.gif
frown.gif

is it possible the speed sensor shorted and temporarily (until fixed) brought down the 5 volt bus(ccd)? bringing down the bus would cause all sorts of comm problems for the tcm. mike

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
is it possible the speed sensor shorted and temporarily (until fixed) brought down the 5 volt bus(ccd)? bringing down the bus would cause all sorts of comm problems for the tcm. mike

??? I don't know how would one check if that is the case or not??

OK stealership price for the TCM $329 for a reman exchge.

NAPA no go

Oreilly's needs to e-mail corp for price, part num, availability!

so pay my mortgage and eat or get raped at the stealership!!

I wish there was a way to make sure and I really wish it is something simpler and cheaper!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back