Motul 8100 X-lite ester 0W30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking with Motul Canada they tell me that the Motul 8100 E-tech lite ester 0W30 will be discontinued and that this is the replacement. This new bottle looks the same also showing as 'ester' on the label. No Boron nor Magnesium in this one though and just a small amount of Molybdenum, and with a slightly higher viscosity.

img702a8f2bzik7zj.jpeg

MotulX-lite0W30.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, now I don't feel as good about Motul. No Mg or Boron and way higher CA in this formulation. Just my personal opinion, butI'm not happy with this change. Makes me wonder about the 5W30 Motul I', currently running (in a Volvo).

No concern needed, tiley. Magnesium is part of a detergent molecule and calcium is as well (interchangeable roles) and calcium detergents are mostly superior to magnesium detergents. Boron can be part of a wide variety of additives, detergents, dispersants, or anti-wear additives. Most internet discussions have misleadingly named boron as an anti-wear alone and thus praise it for supposedly making up for reduced ZDDP levels in some oils. There's very little way to know what the boron is part of in any given oil, so don't be concerned about it. Having it is not fantastic and not having it is not bad.

This oil is loaded up in calcium detergents and ZDDP, with a very strong TBN. That is a great start and with Motul's high quality, I'm sure it's excellent, as some UOAs have shown already.

Originally Posted By: tilley
Hmm, now I don't feel as good about Motul. No Mg or Boron and way higher CA in this formulation. Just my personal opinion, butI'm not happy with this change. Makes me wonder about the 5W30 Motul I', currently running (in a Volvo).

Are you running the Motul Eco-nergy 5W30 or the 300V 5W30? In either case it might be worthwhile to pull a small sample out of the dipstick with those plastic syphon pump/hoses available in CanTire and get it UOA'ed. Somewhere I read that the Eco-nergy is a PAO oil with minimal ester content so that's why I've been using the ETech lite 0W30 as it supposedly has more ester as stated on the label.

Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight

Are you running the Motul Eco-nergy 5W30 or the 300V 5W30? In either case it might be worthwhile to pull a small sample out of the dipstick with those plastic syphon pump/hoses available in CanTire and get it UOA'ed. Somewhere I read that the Eco-nergy is a PAO oil with minimal ester content so that's why I've been using the ETech lite 0W30 as it supposedly has more ester as stated on the label.

The Motul 5W30 I'm using is 8100 X-Max. It doesn't seem to be listed on the Motul web site, but I did get them to send me a spec sheet on it. It's 100% synthetic - ester based, TBN 10.9 etc.

I have never had a UOA performed. Any suggestions where I can get one here in the east?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tilley
The Motul 5W30 I'm using is 8100 X-Max. It doesn't seem to be listed on the Motul web site, but I did get them to send me a spec sheet on it. It's 100% synthetic - ester based, TBN 10.9 etc.

I looked at the data sheet for the X-Max 5W30 but didn't think it was available in Canada. Talking with Garrett at Motul in SoCal, he said the stuff is flying off the self to the BMW crowd.

tilley said:
I have never had a UOA performed. Any suggestions where I can get one here in the east?

I picked a local lab of about three choices in the city as the fellow is an experienced P.Eng who does his own analysis to keep both his costs and prices low, his lab is about 20 minutes from home so I can do drop offs rather than using mail, and his postings of the results to his lab website where I can download them are always within 24 hours and occasionally sooner. Best of luck finding something as good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back