Changing Oil Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often heard that changing oil brands once you've been using a certain brand, was not a good thing to do. Can someone shed some light on this as to whether or not this might true. I've been using Quacker State regular oil not synthetic for my 2007 Camry with 28000 miles since purchasing it new. I change my own oil and filter, but if the time should come when I feel I would just rather take it to a dealer for a change and he doesn't use what I have been using, will there be potential problems down the road?
Thomas J

No potential oil-related problems should arise - when having the dealer change your oil and filter. No potential oil-related problems should arise if you change SL/SM - GF3/4 brand names every time you do an oil change. Dinos/conventional oils are all compatable with one another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThomasJ49
I've often heard that changing oil brands once you've been using a certain brand, was not a good thing to do. Can someone shed some light on this as to whether or not this might true. I've been using Quacker State regular oil not synthetic for my 2007 Camry with 28000 miles since purchasing it new. I change my own oil and filter, but if the time should come when I feel I would just rather take it to a dealer for a change and he doesn't use what I have been using, will there be potential problems down the road?
Thomas J

In my 2006 J30A5 Honda V6, I changed out the FF((EM-based) and subsequently used similar EM Driveclean 5000 and DC 7500 until 21,500 miles. I had to bring my own oil at 5050 on the ODO when I switched out the FF and brought them the EM DC 5k instead of the Quaker Flake they normally use but after 21,500 miles, I too switched oils to Motorcraft and loved it instantly!

I wanted to see what all the hub-bub was with top-shelf synthetics and so I tried PP and M1 for only ONC OCI but after that I went back to 'another MC' in the CP based Super All-season Synthetic blend and have been on it now for my third straight OCI and plan on more of the same oil(using up my satchel!). I may go back to MC just to 'get a different add-pak in there' or to keep getting that stellar Walmart price but I am stuck and quite smitten with my current CP-based oil products!(inc. MC)

But yes, I too had my fling with changing oils back in the day (of my current car anyway) but that was due to synthetics and their 'it costs more so it must be better' mentality.

I haven't wrecked my car and infact am looking to wax and add touch-up paint to get those scratches out!

I do my own Oil Changes now completely from A to Z including filter and new crush washer as well my own ATF. It's been a long road coming from that day I too brought my own oil to the dealership for my first oil change!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Quacker State regular oil

That must be the Number 1 oil preferred by ducks.
55.gif
55.gif
55.gif

As far as changing oils brands -- no problem whatsoever. Many people here change brands almost every oil change, getting whatever oil is on sale.

Quote:
That must be the Number 1 oil preferred by ducks.

People always said I was Bit of a quack, now I know why.
LOL.gif

Anyway guess what I heard was wrong. Thanks for all the
replies.
thumbsup2.gif

Swapping brands will not hurt your engine in the slightest, as long as you stay with the correct weight/grade as recommended by the manufacturer. That goes for engines, trannies, diffs, etc.

UOAs will be misleading because of the small chemistry changes swapping from brand to brand, but that doesn't seem to stop many here from doing it.

I follow the BITOG oil of the month craze!!!

Actually I am a certified Amsoil user now and have commited now to 10k oci's! I'll have the DT's from sliding under and doing changes but it's time to get some return on $$$ spent.

no problems if want to swap brands every oci, but like dnewton said, it is harder to trend, it is usually easier to trend and spot potential problems if stick with the same oil.

But it is not necessary

Originally Posted By: ThomasJ49
Thomas J

The potential problem is they might not change the oil.My sister took her 07 Camry in for its first oil change at a Toyota dealer in Deerfield Beach and upon picking up the car opened the hood to check the oil and the same dirty oil was in there.Knew something was up cause there were several leaves stuck in the side of the hood when it was brought in and nothing changed when picking it up.When I went in to talk to the manager he had a I don't care attitude and said it couldn't be investigated.She made a complaint to Toyota and it fell on deaf ears.She ended changing it at another Dealer in Oakland Park.The oil change there took 5 hours.Toyota service down here in South Florida is a complete nightmare.She has since sold the Camry and bought a Grand Marquis so she would not have to deal with Toyota anymore.

Bottom line check your oil BEFORE leaving the dealership.More so if it is a Toyota.Even my Ford dealer short changed me a quart several times and forget to put the oil cap on it one time.

Well I called a few dealerships today and for what it's worth they just so happen to use the same brand of oil as I do, except one uses synthetic oil, and both of them said they use 5W30 when the manual and oil cap clearly states 5W20. I've always used 5W20 so should I be leary of this change, and what about putting in synthetic oil at almost 30,000 mi after using only regular oil from day one?
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back