Home

[cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax

Posted By: wwillson

[cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/06/18 09:05 PM

This filter is from my 2018 Duramax. This is the original spin-on filter with a total of 8,000 miles. There is a small amount of metal flakes in the filter and only enough clutch friction material to discolor the media. I see no reason to change this filter more often than 25,000 miles. The magnet that mounts between the filter and trans body had a small amount of dark material stuck to it - probably a couple grams.

Attached picture IMG_3131 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3134 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: Zee09

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/06/18 09:25 PM

Yeah looks like a long term filter.
Posted By: DoubleWasp

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/06/18 11:49 PM

My understanding is that most transmission spin-on filters by the OEM are still rock catchers. Better rock catchers than the pan filters, but still around 60-80 microns. That's why I replaced mine with an XG7317.
Posted By: bobbobtar

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/07/18 02:10 AM

When I had a 2009 Chevy Duramax with the Allison 1000 transmission I would change the trans. filer every oil change about 10,000 miles cheap insurance.
Posted By: Linctex

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/07/18 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by wwillson
I see no reason to change this filter more often than 25,000 50,000-75,000 miles. The magnet that mounts between the filter and trans body had a small amount of dark material stuck to it - probably a couple milligrams grams


There, I fixed all of that for you.
Posted By: BlakeB

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/10/18 08:22 PM

I changed the spin-on trans filter on my Dads 2016 LML at 31k with 2073 hours. The magnet had some fuzz on it, but nothing excessive. I haven’t cut the filter open yet, but if I do I’ll post pics.

I checked on Allison’s site and this is what the fluid and filter calculator gave me:


Attached picture C96566FF-8A59-4933-8C2D-0738751ACD16.jpeg
Attached picture A6222260-C39B-407E-935B-02E90F36F89E.jpeg
Posted By: wwillson

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/11/18 01:28 AM

Allison calculator here: https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/fluid-filter-calculator
Posted By: BlakeB

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/11/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by wwillson
This filter is from my 2018 Duramax. This is the original spin-on filter with a total of 8,000 miles. There is a small amount of metal flakes in the filter and only enough clutch friction material to discolor the media. I see no reason to change this filter more often than 25,000 miles. The magnet that mounts between the filter and trans body had a small amount of dark material stuck to it - probably a couple grams.


How many hours on your L5P?
Posted By: wwillson

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/11/18 01:35 AM

190 hrs
Posted By: dave1251

Re: [cut open] Allison 29539579 spin-on filter for 1000 series trans in Duramax - 10/20/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
My understanding is that most transmission spin-on filters by the OEM are still rock catchers. Better rock catchers than the pan filters, but still around 60-80 microns. That's why I replaced mine with an XG7317.



And yet what is percentage of failed transmissions? Not very high.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy