Home

New coffee.

Posted By: PimTac

New coffee. - 10/07/18 03:04 PM

I have been a coffee snob of sorts for many years now and I am always looking for a good cuppa.

I heard about Black Rifle coffee on the radio. Owned and operated by veterans. Lots of good reviews. So, I decided to give them a try. I ordered three different dark roasts as that is my preference. Apparently they roast the beans just prior to shipping so it’s very fresh.

I got the package last Friday and first up was their Beyond Black blend. The hype is real. This is excellent coffee. Nice dark oily beans. Very smooth and aromatic. Acidity is low.

I also got their Blackbeard’s Delight and Black Buffalo blends.

If anyone is looking for a good cuppa, I highly recommend these guys.

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/
Posted By: Jarlaxle

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 03:11 PM

Chock Full of Nuts NY Roast is my go-to lately. (Though I can't always find it.)
Posted By: CT8

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 03:14 PM

snobs are good.

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CT8
snobs are good.

In this case, yep.

Years ago when I was working I despised the cheap grocery store coffee that our Dept used for the employee coffee room. One day I brought in my electric percolator and some Peet’s coffee. Before the pot was done brewing people were stopping by smelling that coffee and asking for a cup.

It became a daily ritual for me. Soon all the employees pitched in and we bought a new machine and good coffee for all.
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
Nice dark oily beans.
I try to avoid oily beans as they tend to gunk up the grinder.

From my end, I can whole hardheartedly recommend these two:

https://redbirdcoffee.com/collections/featured-coffees/products/red-bird-espresso

http://espressovivace.com/our-coffee/blends/ (Vivace Dolce)

Fantastic coffee, especially for espresso-based drinks. This is all I used to order before I finally found a good local roaster.
Posted By: dave123

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 03:48 PM

I knew I should not have clicked on this I’ve been on the fence for months about this company and hearing all excellent reviews now I gotta give it a try.
Posted By: ctrcbob

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:04 PM

Where are the beans from?
Ethiopia? Columbia? Brazil?
Arabica (the best).
Robusto (not good at all)

The beans are more important than the roaster. We have many roasters in my area of Central Florida. The one I am most familiar with gets his beans shipped to him in Burlap Sack. Showed me how his roaster works. Fantastic.

Try reading the book;
"I Love Coffee" by Susan Zimmer.
Posted By: Audios

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:07 PM

Not sure where youre from Pim, but if you have a Fairway market near you check them out. Usually 30-50 types of beans roasted on location, very fair pricing too. I hate buying it anywhere else. This week I got a lb of Ethiopian Harrar and a lb of fair trade Mexican organic for 21$. Youd probably like Sumatran or Sulawesi coffee if you like the darker oily stuff.
Posted By: Marco620

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wCwfuGP8w

THIS.....
Posted By: CARJ

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:20 PM

Have you ever thought about roasting your own? We started doing this about 3 years ago and we get amazing coffee, for the price of Folger's. It's not really that hard to do either.

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Audios
Not sure where youre from Pim, but if you have a Fairway market near you check them out. Usually 30-50 types of beans roasted on location, very fair pricing too. I hate buying it anywhere else. This week I got a lb of Ethiopian Harrar and a lb of fair trade Mexican organic for 21$. Youd probably like Sumatran or Sulawesi coffee if you like the darker oily stuff.

Originally Posted by Audios

No Fairway markets in my neck of the woods.

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
Where are the beans from?
Ethiopia? Columbia? Brazil?
Arabica (the best).
Robusto (not good at all)

The beans are more important than the roaster. We have many roasters in my area of Central Florida. The one I am most familiar with gets his beans shipped to him in Burlap Sack. Showed me how his roaster works. Fantastic.

Try reading the book;
"I Love Coffee" by Susan Zimmer.

For the Beyond Black the beans are from Columbia.

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CARJ
Have you ever thought about roasting your own? We started doing this about 3 years ago and we get amazing coffee, for the price of Folger's. It's not really that hard to do either.

I’ve thought of that but I am slowing down in my older age.
Posted By: miden851

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 04:57 PM

roasting on your own, nothing beats it; all organic and natural; however, anything you buy you're paying premium for the advertisement and the product is usually just mediocre but it is loaded with atificials for sure
Posted By: Char Baby

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 05:00 PM

I love a good cup or robust coffee. I love the way I brew my own.

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dave123
I knew I should not have clicked on this I’ve been on the fence for months about this company and hearing all excellent reviews now I gotta give it a try.

I’ve like to support the small businesses when I can. I was a Peet’s fan and still am to a point but they are now part of JAB (African Anheuser Busch). Then I tried Stumptown and JAB bought them as well. There is a lot of consolidation going on in this industry.

These guys are growing by leaps and bounds. Their primary roasting facility is in Salt Lake City but they open another plant in Tennessee due to the increased business.
Posted By: earlyre

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 05:11 PM

away from the house, i prefer Tim Hortons, outside their areas, I've not found a brand(restaurant/gas station, etc) i like as well..

at home, I've found and enjoy the Woodward Ave. Blend From the Detroit Bold Coffee Company. it's good(for grocery store coffee) and hard to beat for $6/bag.
Posted By: goodtimes

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 05:32 PM

Kauai coffee has coffee grown in the USA and provides USA jobs as well. They sell many types.
Posted By: Pelican

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Nice dark oily beans.
I try to avoid oily beans as they tend to gunk up the grinder.

From my end, I can whole hardheartedly recommend these two:

https://redbirdcoffee.com/collections/featured-coffees/products/red-bird-espresso

http://espressovivace.com/our-coffee/blends/ (Vivace Dolce)

Fantastic coffee, especially for espresso-based drinks. This is all I used to order before I finally found a good local roaster.

You beat me to it :-) Oily beans will ruin your grinder (i think that metal grinders are not affected, but am not sure) if you have one of those automated Xpresso machines like I have it's big bucks to repair. Don't ask me how I know! I've recently discover Pavin Caffe and it's so low in acidity that you don't need to add much sugar at all.
Posted By: Pelican

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Marco620

That's because the Civets got organized and formed a union and now the exporter has to pay union wages to them. That's why it's the most expensive. :-) :-)
Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 06:35 PM

Hy-Vee French Roast. I'm a big spender.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 06:52 PM

I have been a coffee snob of sorts for many years now and I am always looking for a good cuppa.

I heard about Black Rifle coffee on the radio. Owned and operated by veterans. Lots of good reviews. So, I decided to give them a try. I ordered three different dark roasts as that is my preference. Apparently they roast the beans just prior to shipping so it’s very fresh.

I got the package last Friday and first up was their Beyond Black blend. The hype is real. This is excellent coffee. Nice dark oily beans. Very smooth and aromatic. Acidity is low.

I always knew i liked you sir smile

This re affirms that. I ordered some of their coffees. Thank You PimTac
Posted By: anndel

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 07:02 PM

Angelino's for K-Kups
Peets for ground coffee or beans

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I always knew i liked you sir smile

This re affirms that. I ordered some of their coffees. Thank You PimTac

Let me know what you think.
Posted By: tc1446

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 08:03 PM

My favorite was Starbucks Kenyan beans, ground as needed, but they recently discontinued it. Ordered a bag of Kenyan and Ethiopian from an online company, but neither suits me as well. Drinkable, but just not the same.
Posted By: andyd

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 08:32 PM

Thanks guys. I learned something. Robusto is more caffeine but less taste. Current fave is store brand french roast blended 1:1 with New England French Vanilla. Cold garnished with Autocrat coffee syrup and 1/2&1/2. Reminds me of the coffee frappes I used to buy at the genrl store. grin2
Posted By: Rand

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 10:29 PM

I just got in a new #66 bag from invalsacoffee.com
"Bolivia Microlot: Jacinto Titirico (Siete Estrellas)"

New one is pretty good.. flavors are more more mellow and creamier.

I make mine quite strong and give it a couple dashes of sweet cream.
or weaker and black.

My previous bag was
Bolivia Micro-lot: Agustin Cruz (Siete Estrellas) previous crop (huge price discount)

I liked it very much. I have purchased over 500# total from them now since aprox 2011.

Havent started the new coffee yet.. just 1 12oz batch for sampling.
Still have 2# of the old stuff to drink as well.

unroasted green coffee beans vacuum sealed into 10kilo bags at origin keep for years. smile

Their regular "Bolivia Organic AAA San Ignacio" is great too.

QP sent me some of the Redbird roasters and it was the best medium roast I have ever had.
I tend to roast my beans medium-dark or slightly darker as they taste better that way.

If you want to be a coffee snob.. you can always take it to the next level and roast your own.

Its not too hard with some of the more automated roasters such as the behmor.

Re: New coffee. - 10/07/18 10:40 PM

We don’t hear too much about Bolivian coffee. I would suspect it is excellent.
Posted By: BJD78

Re: New coffee. - 10/08/18 12:26 AM

I am a simple man , I like my coffee to be Hot, black, and have caffeine. My standard fare is Folgers Black Silk or whatever grocery store coffee is on sale. I have used Hy Vee, Dollor General, Maxwell House and Butternut. They are all very good coffees. IMO. I was stationed in Hawaii for nearly 2 years and tried the famous Kona coffee on several occasions, but frankly I just prefer regular supermarket coffee and I prefer to brew coffee in my 1960's Gen Electric stainless steel perculator. Takes about 7 to 10 minutes but worth the wait. My wife has one of those Kerug things, but I never use it as I prefer coffee perculated.

Re: New coffee. - 10/08/18 12:42 AM

I have used Hy Vee canned coffees many times and IMO it is just as good as the much higher priced bean coffees like Satrbuck and caribou.

Re: New coffee. - 10/08/18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by BJD78
I have used Hy Vee canned coffees many times and IMO it is just as good as the much higher priced bean coffees like Satrbuck and caribou.

I’ve never heard of or seen Hy Vee coffee but your story reminds me of growing up. The folks drank Hills Brothers from the vacuum can with a key. They had a 12 cup Reverware stovetop percolator that sat on the stove all day. You never knew when company would stop by.

The smell of a brand new can opened up us a great memory and that first coffee was always the best.

I started drinking coffee around the sixth grade. I can’t go without 2-3 cups in the morning. In the service I drank gallons, especially on duty weekends in the summer being up for 72 hours.
Posted By: SVTCobra

Re: New coffee. - 10/08/18 01:02 AM

It's spelled Colombia, my girlfriend is from Bogota and I've been reminded more than once that I spelled it wrong. Speaking of Colombia my favorite coffee is OMA which is from there. Slightly acidic, not bitter, best when made when a French press.

Re: New coffee. - 10/08/18 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by SVTCobra

It's spelled Colombia, my girlfriend is from Bogota and I've been reminded more than once that I spelled it wrong. Speaking of Colombia my favorite coffee is OMA which is from there. Slightly acidic, not bitter, best when made when a French press.

You’re right. My goof.

Re: New coffee. - 10/08/18 04:15 PM

HyVee is the house brand of HyVEE grocery stores, mostly located in Nebraska, Iowa, the Dakotas, Missouri, Minnesota and maybe a few other Midwest states.We also have stores that carry a house brand called Shurfine and Our Family and their house brand taste kind of like HyVEE… probably just relabled at the factory.
Posted By: Jarlaxle

Re: New coffee. - 10/09/18 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by BJD78
I am a simple man , I like my coffee to be Hot, black, and have caffeine. My standard fare is Folgers Black Silk or whatever grocery store coffee is on sale. I have used Hy Vee, Dollor General, Maxwell House and Butternut. They are all very good coffees. IMO. I was stationed in Hawaii for nearly 2 years and tried the famous Kona coffee on several occasions, but frankly I just prefer regular supermarket coffee and I prefer to brew coffee in my 1960's Gen Electric stainless steel perculator. Takes about 7 to 10 minutes but worth the wait. My wife has one of those Kerug things, but I never use it as I prefer coffee perculated.

I love my percolator.
Posted By: NYEngineer

Re: New coffee. - 10/11/18 10:59 PM

I followed 53 Stude's recommendation and bought two boxes of Black Rifle's K cups. I got the Freedom blend and the Just Black Coffee.
It was here when I got home from work today so I made a cup of the Freedom. DANM Tasty coffee.

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 12:34 AM

Good to hear. I’ve been enjoying the Beyond Black but I did try the Blackbeard’s Delight.

It’s a medium roast with a bright taste. Obviously less body than BB but a very drinkable cup.

Next up is the Black Buffalo blend but I am really enamored with the BB

I’ll keep that Freedom Blend on my list.
Posted By: Direct_Rejection

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 01:01 AM

Blue Bottle Coffee "Three Africas"...Yirgacheffe/Sidamo (Ethiopia) + Ugandan.

My brewing method is whole beans, fresh ground in my Krupps grinder, brewed in my stainless steel, single serving, French Press. This coffee has such complexity of flavor, that is still easy to get into.

Coffee originates from Ethiopia, where an ancient 9th Century goat herder noticed that his goats got real excited after consuming certain beans from a certain tree.

Another BB favorite is "Giant Steps" named after a John Coltrane song. Literally high-viscosity chocolate-note coffee in your cup.

Generally speaking, Blue Bottle goes far beyond other coffees in flavor. They use antique 200 year old German coffee roasters, brew in small batches, and brew mere days before purchase. You can taste the difference.

I have always wanted to try Black Rifle. Support Our Troops by drinking what sounds like delicious coffee.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
My brewing method is whole beans, fresh ground in my Krupps grinder, brewed in my stainless steel, single serving, French Press. This coffee has such complexity of flavor, that is still easy to get into.

What brand French press is it? Thanks!

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 01:42 AM

French Press is how I brew mine. Simple and quick.

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 03:18 AM

I just ordered a box of Death Punch from Black Rifle. Can't wait.

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 02:18 PM

I’m drinking the Black Buffalo blend this morning. A very decent cup. This is another medium roast. It seems to be one step below Blackbeard’s Delight in that regard. Some acidity. Less aroma.

My preference is still towards the Beyond Black. I have always favored a darker roast.
Posted By: Direct_Rejection

Re: New coffee. - 10/12/18 08:43 PM

[b][/b]
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

What brand French press is it? Thanks!

1. Sterling Pro 1L.
2. Starbucks thermos with built in French Press 0.5L (for portability).

Re: New coffee. - 10/17/18 10:42 PM

Death Punch is very nice. I'm drinking a cup of coffee ater dinner now, I like these so much. I haven't done that at home for years.

Re: New coffee. - 10/18/18 02:49 AM

I’m going to have to pick some up.
Posted By: dave123

Re: New coffee. - 10/28/18 12:14 AM

Brewed up Black Buffalo tonight decent cup great flavor and aroma worth the price debatable good cup yes little hyped up yea I think so can’t wait to try others I’ve ordered.

Re: New coffee. - 10/28/18 04:12 PM

Brewed up Black Buffalo tonight decent cup great flavor and aroma worth the price debatable good cup yes little hyped up yea I think so can’t wait to try others I’ve ordered.

I finished up my Black Buffalo this week and had ordered 3 bags of Beyond Black. It’s slightly cheaper plus the darker roast suits my taste preference.

If you have a iPhone, check the App Store for the BRCC app. It’s free, plus when you first sign in a 15% discount is applied as a thanks for downloading the app.

I noticed that the new batch of BB I ordered came from Tennessee versus Utah. The coffee was the same however. Their roast in time order process is very good.
Posted By: SHOZ

Re: New coffee. - 10/28/18 04:58 PM

I've been getting 2lb bags of beans off ebay. Tried 4 different kinds so far. None have been bad and much better that what I can get tin the grocery store. A little pricey but great aroma and flavor. Time to order some more.

This was my last buy. Dark Brazil Cerrado Coffee, Whole Bean Coffee, Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC.

[url=]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Brazil-Cerrado-Coffee-Whole-Bean-Coffee-Fresh-Roasted-Coffee-LLC/222408488458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521277988484&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649[/url]

Re: New coffee. - 10/28/18 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by SHOZ
This was my last buy. Dark Brazil Cerrado Coffee, Whole Bean Coffee, Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC.
What were the other 3 you tried? Which one did you like best?

While really good, my local roaster has become quite expensive ($28 for 2 lbs), plus it's a PITA to have to drive out to his shop to pick it up, so I'm starting to look for alternatives.

Re: New coffee. - 10/29/18 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by SHOZ

[url=]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Brazil-Cerrado-Coffee-Whole-Bean-Coffee-Fresh-Roasted-Coffee-LLC/222408488458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521277988484&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649[/url]

The beans look very oily in the picture. Is this how you got them?
Posted By: Alfred_B

Re: New coffee. - 10/29/18 04:32 PM

Looks like it had high caffeine levels
Posted By: john_pifer

Re: New coffee. - 11/24/18 12:29 AM

I like a light roast. Anybody else?

Re: New coffee. - 11/24/18 05:01 PM

I'm done with Black Rifle. Every time I purchase coffee a page pops up to send people their info and if they order anything, I get five bucks off on my next order. So far, three people ordered coffee and I get an e mail from Black Rifle with a code for a five dollar discount on my next order. Every time I try and redeem it I get You cart does not qualify for this code. Guess what guys? I want coffee. NOT a hoodie or a t shirt or a cup.
Too bad. I really liked the Just Black and Death Punch.

Re: New coffee. - 11/24/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I like a light roast. Anybody else?

I’m hooked on dark roast coffee but lighter roasts are getting popular these days. Recently I had a cup at Bluebeard which is local to Tacoma.

https://bluebeardcoffee.com

Their coffee is a medium roast but flavorful. There are some intricate tastes going on there. The key is the freshness of the roast and the bean quality.

Re: New coffee. - 11/24/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
I'm done with Black Rifle. Every time I purchase coffee a page pops up to send people their info and if they order anything, I get five bucks off on my next order. So far, three people ordered coffee and I get an e mail from Black Rifle with a code for a five dollar discount on my next order. Every time I try and redeem it I get You cart does not qualify for this code. Guess what guys? I want coffee. NOT a hoodie or a t shirt or a cup.

I tend to disregard their promotions. I just want coffee too. The only discount I’ve used was the one for downloading their app which makes ordering much easier and for joining their coffee club.

I have 4 pounds of Beyond Black on the way but the passes are closed due to a storm.

Re: New coffee. - 11/25/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by NYEngineer

I tend to disregard their promotions. I just want coffee too. The only discount I’ve used was the one for downloading their app which makes ordering much easier and for joining their coffee club.

I have 4 pounds of Beyond Black on the way but the passes are closed due to a storm.

I do like it a lot. I'll get some again later on. Not right now though. I need to stew on it.
Posted By: dblshock

Re: New coffee. - 11/25/18 03:38 AM

I'm on the Aldi's brick red label German grind, all good.

Re: New coffee. - 12/13/18 05:13 PM

I’m going to try out some of the other blends on my next order. Gunship, AK-47, and Freedom Fuel along with Beyond Black. I want to try out their medium roasts a bit more even though I’m a dark roast fan.

Their coffee club service works pretty well.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: New coffee. - 12/13/18 05:49 PM

We have Kicking Horse coffee roasted in Invermere, BC. Some of my favs are:

454 Horsepower
Kick A.s.s.
Grizzly Claw

Available on Amazon.ca

Re: New coffee. - 12/13/18 10:58 PM

This is the trend now, towards smaller coffee roasters. I’ll have to check them out.

Re: New coffee. - 12/14/18 01:22 PM

Black Rifle sent me a discount code for coffee this time so I bought two boxes of Death Punch and decided to try their chocolate coffee. The reviews were great. I didn't care for it. Hopefully the kids will drink it at Christmas.
Posted By: nthach

Re: New coffee. - 12/14/18 11:06 PM

Here's my latest brew, I got a bag of this as a gift:

https://ritual.myshopify.com/collections/coffee-beans/products/kolla-bolcha-ethiopia
Posted By: Voleak

Re: New coffee. - 12/19/18 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by nthach

That coffee sounds amazing!

Been enjoying Peerless Coffee Moka Java whole beans. I get them from Baron's Market in the bulk dispensers.
Posted By: Duffyjr

Re: New coffee. - 12/19/18 12:32 PM

For you guys that like fresh beans and have to order online I have been buying beans from this guy for over a year. He sells half pounds so you can try something your not sure you would like. He also sells beans by the pound at similar prices most places charge for 12 oz bags.

The Excellent Cup

I prefer South and Central American Beans.

Re: New coffee. - 12/19/18 03:22 PM

Interesting. Yes I’ve noticed the change to a 12oz package. It’s almost industry standard now. The flip side of that is that smaller packaging results in less stale beans. There is some give and take.

In today’s capitalism, the mission of the company plays a big part in consumers choice. I get good beans at Black Rifle which incidentally come from Brazil and Columbia, and I’m supporting a veteran owned business as well.

Re: New coffee. - 01/24/19 11:07 PM

I’ve got some Murdered Out coming in this next batch to try. I’ll post a comment on it when I do.

I also discovered a brand called Sisters Coffee which is roasted in Sisters Oregon, just west of Bend. Some interesting coffee there. I plan to order a couple to try.

https://www.sisterscoffee.com

So many good coffee outlets these days that roast their own. I like the idea of supporting the smaller roasters and also keeping it local.
Posted By: spasm3

Re: New coffee. - 01/24/19 11:10 PM

I did try the Black Rifle coffee. I love the concept. I did find it to be smooth. The beyond black was just not that strong. I noticed that it was really course ground. I would say that the silencer smooth coffee while a light blend , is a a perfect coffee for someone trying to get used to drinking black coffee, it is smooth.

Re: New coffee. - 01/24/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by spasm3
I did try the Black Rifle coffee. I love the concept. I did find it to be smooth. The beyond black was just not that strong. I noticed that it was really course ground. I would say that the silencer smooth coffee while a light blend , is a a perfect coffee for someone trying to get used to drinking black coffee, it is smooth.

I just happen to have a bag of that incoming as well. I e been drinking dark roast for a long time and have discovered some of these medium and lighter roasts are quite good.

Re: New coffee. - 01/25/19 03:27 AM

I just happen to have a bag of that incoming as well. I e been drinking dark roast for a long time and have discovered some of these medium and lighter roasts are quite good.

I tend to drink the lighter roasts early as it seems they have more caffeine. grin2 Later on i drink the dark roasts. I love dark roast coffee black. So far i like Seattle's best #5 .

Re: New coffee. - 01/25/19 03:30 PM

I tend to drink the lighter roasts early as it seems they have more caffeine. grin2 Later on i drink the dark roasts. I love dark roast coffee black. So far i like Seattle's best #5 .

It took me a very long time to learn that the lighter roasts had more caffeine. With that said though it really depends on a variety of factors.

The biggest jolt I’ve had was drinking a Singapore pulled coffee. Kopi O is the term for black and it certainly will wake you up. It was a Godsend for the multiple times I was at a airport at the super early hours of the morning. One or two of those will power you for quite a while. Have the Kaya toast or some breakfast to go with it.

Re: New coffee. - 01/30/19 05:29 PM

Just brewed a presspot of Murdered Out. This is a extra dark roast. The beans are very dark and oily.

The flavor and aroma is great. If you like a dark roast as I do then this is the blend to try. Acidity is in check, heavy body and the aroma fills the room. This is my new favorite.

Next up is Silencer Smooth which is on the other end of the roast scale as it is a light roast.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: New coffee. - 01/30/19 05:34 PM

What coffee maker are you using? I need to get a new one since it's not keeping the coffee that hot.

Re: New coffee. - 01/30/19 05:50 PM

I’m using a inexpensive press pot I got from Amazon. It makes roughly one liter. I pour most of that into a insulated travel mug and the rest into cups. My research has told me that letting it sit in a press pot is not the best way.

If you are leaning towards a drip maker, the Bonavita is a top recommendation.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: New coffee. - 01/30/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
What coffee maker are you using? I need to get a new one since it's not keeping the coffee that hot.

I highly recommend a 10 or 12 cup cuisinart with stainless pot. Keeps coffee very hot for 3 hours I found smile

Re: New coffee. - 01/31/19 02:38 AM

Just brewed a presspot of Murdered Out. This is a extra dark roast. The beans are very dark and oily.

The flavor and aroma is great. If you like a dark roast as I do then this is the blend to try. Acidity is in check, heavy body and the aroma fills the room. This is my new favorite.

Next up is Silencer Smooth which is on the other end of the roast scale as it is a light roast.

I'm going to Murdered Out, i love really dark coffee as long as it does not taste scorched. I think you will like the silencer smooth in the mornings, if you drink it black.

Re: New coffee. - 01/31/19 03:01 AM

I'm going to Murdered Out, i love really dark coffee as long as it does not taste scorched. I think you will like the silencer smooth in the mornings, if you drink it black.

I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been a diehard dark roast fan for years but the lighter roasts have opened my eyes.

Re: New coffee. - 02/01/19 04:00 PM

I brewed up a pot of the Silencer Smooth this morning. The name of this blend tells it all. It is very smooth with a bit of a wine characteristic. Good flavor. A very drinkable cup.

On the lighter roasts I grind the beans slightly finer. That is my personal habit. All my press pots brew for the four minute standard.

Re: New coffee. - 02/04/19 01:34 PM

I was over at my stepson's yesterday for the football game. His friend that he shares the house with is a cop and he buys the Thin Blue Line coffee. I got to try a cup of that last night. Also good.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy