Freezing whole roasted coffee beans

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I have heard that it's not a good idea to freeze roasted beans, but I've also heard that problems arise when the beans are removed and replaced from the freezer.

A local coffee roaster has a Kenyan coffee that I love, but it's not always available. It is now, and I was thinking of stocking up and keeping some in the freezer. It would remain frozen until use ... no in/out of the freezer. I'd probably freeze smallish amounts, 1/2-lb or so.

What do you think about freezing the beans in this manner? Thanks!

Here comes a can of beans....coffee aficionado's have very personal views on all aspects of coffee and every step of its growth roast, grind, brew. The days of buying a 3 pound can of Folgers and using an electric percolator are long gone.
I buy my beans a pound at a time. Espresso grind them immediately, store them in a rubbermaid container and start again in about 10-14 days. I make one 4 shot latte a day. I have come to like and use Starbuck's Italian roast. I have had better but the Starbucks is easily available locally, they will grind it and it is consistent in its quality. I have had some beautiful cups from other brands and makers but they are great once then crap the next time. I don't have the patience to buy green beans, roast and grind them myslelf a few ounces at a time. Life's too short for the time commitment. I am willing to give up that last 10% of perfection for the extra minutes to do something else. BTW, I know plenty of folks that keep their coffee in the freezer.

BTW, I know plenty of folks that keep their coffee in the freezer.
Sweetie would buy pre-ground beans and keep them in the freezer, taking them in and out as needed. Even when double or triple-wrapped in Ziploc bags, the brewed coffee would be awful after a time. I couldn't drink the stuff.

Store in a vacuum can.. avoid freezer and esp. fridge.

PS anyone looking for decent commercial coffee.. sams club brand Columbian supremo med-dark.. is very drinkable and good price.

Freezing beans is now considered acceptable - even preferable - by most experts in the specialty coffee community.

I think this is an opinion that has changed in the last few years. Seems like I remember that it used to be thought of as a no-no.

I think it’s also generally agreed upon that they should be thawed before grinding.

I don’t buy enough at a time to do it.

Back