'03 Buick Park Avenue: Strong car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all,

The epic hunt for a newer car continues. My Benz still has its transmission, A/C, and rattle issues, and . . . well, I'm just ready for something newer, I guess.

Local dealer has a charcoal over parchment leather '03 Park Avenue, 44K miles, 3 mo./3k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 14 months or so left on the 5-year powertrain warranty, chrome (though not blinged-out) wheels, priced to the low end of the Edmunds range for dealer retail for that car and year. While I don't know yet what kind of interest rate I can get, the price is low enough that I could put a bit more down and reduce the amount to be financed!

Yeah, I know, probably a bit of a gas-sucker, but it should take regular. Everything I read, here and elsewhere, says that they are solid cars, with that 3.8 engine and 4-speed tranny. Ride quality? Known problems, A/C, electronics, etc.?

Gas sucker? No. My folks' Park Avenue can get 30+ mpg on the interstate (as high as 35, depending on how it is driven), and 24 mpg in town. It'll run just fine on the cheapest gas you can find. The ride is so supple, that it'll put you to sleep if you're not careful.

The 3800 is a bulletproof engine. 250,000 miles is not uncommon.

Biggest known problem is with the intake. The plastic intake has a habit of leaking coolant into the engine. Redesigned parts are out there to resolve the problem.

The Park Avenue was built largely unchanged from '97 to the end in '05. By '03, the bugs (outside of the intake issue)should have been worked out.

Here's some suggested reading. (However, pay no attention to the pricing guide....)
nono.gif
We don't want to start that controversy yet again.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1997-to-2005-buick-park-avenue.htm

Given up on the LaCrosse?

Hey, mrsilv04,

Not sure about the LaCrosse. The dealer I described before, well, they're off my list. The only cars which meet my spec and price are 30 or 70 miles away, and I'm not sure I want to drive all that way at this point. The dealer with this PA (also local) has LaCrosses; who knows, I might find just what I want. But this PA looks great.

The revised intake -- is that the dreaded gasket/coolant issue I've read about here in regard to the 3.1 and 3.4 engines? Is it a one-time fix? Are there external signs of this intake failing -- visible coolant leaks? Or maybe I should just insist that the dealer do the preemptive upgrade.

I can't tell from the pics if this is the Ultra (supercharged) model. If it is, are there known issues with that? The supercharged engine insists on premium, I believe?

I really like this one for its combination of looks and value. I don't care at this point if people think of it as an AARP member's car; I want a good comfortable ride in a reliable solid car I don't have to fuss with, at least not right away.

(And my long-time Benz mechanic thinks highly of Buicks, works on them, and tells me my parts costs will probably be quite a bit lower. . . .)

A very safe car. Saw someone rear ended by an 18 wheeler going 70 mph with the Park at a red light. Totalled the car but all 4 passengers walked away.

Engine/Tranny is strong. Fuel mileage on hwy great for such a large car. Stay away from supercharged engine. There are some electrical issues with this car, especially as mileage increases. For the right price, a good buy.

My brother-in-law, who was a mechanic at a Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealership for a number of years did not notice a significant increase in issues or problems with the Supercharged engine over the standard model. The Supercharged does not require Premium. He said the Supercharger itself is a durable unit, not a lot of problems with it.

With the redesigned parts, the intake issue should be a 1 time fix. My folks' '99 PA is at 49k, and is still on the original intake. BIL said just to look at the coolant level in the reservoir everytime the hood is up, and all should be good.

You can pre-emptively fix it, he said it should be around $500 to do. However, it is possible that it may have already been replaced.

My folks love their '99. The original owners were an elderly couple, so this car was the same as new when they bought it. All service work had been done at the Buick dealership.

Is it the one at Crown? If so, it isn't an Ultra. Ultra's in '03 had a "thick" bar grille, port holes and 17" chrome wheels.

Yes, Crown Buick. I couldn't see the letters "Ultra" anywhere, but it's a good thing to know. I'm just as glad to skip larger, lower-profile wheels; they'd be hard-riding, I suspect, on the third-world streets here.

It still might have the Grand Touring suspension, and I don't think I'd mind that at all.

Just talked to my insurance agent, and the PA will cost almost the same to insure as the Benz has. This is looking good. I'm almost inclined to fight the traffic and heat out there this evening, so I can test drive the beast!

Just real quickly, the 3.8 did have intake manifold coolant issues, but it was a bit of a different problem than the 3.1/3.4L engines. There was a recall on the 3.8 to replace the intake manifold fasteners that were loosening, allowing coolant to leak out of the gasket. This car should have either been made with the updated fasteners or recalled by now. Any dealer should be able to check.

Quote:

The revised intake -- is that the dreaded gasket/coolant issue I've read about here in regard to the 3.1 and 3.4 engines? Is it a one-time fix? Are there external signs of this intake failing -- visible coolant leaks? Or maybe I should just insist that the dealer do the preemptive upgrade.

I can't tell from the pics if this is the Ultra (supercharged) model. If it is, are there known issues with that? The supercharged engine insists on premium, I believe?

I really like this one for its combination of looks and value. I don't care at this point if people think of it as an AARP member's car; I want a good comfortable ride in a reliable solid car I don't have to fuss with, at least not right away.
thumbsup.gif

(And my long-time Benz mechanic thinks highly of Buicks, works on them, and tells me my parts costs will probably be quite a bit lower. . . .)

Ok Benzadmiral ,

Just a couple of general observations and some information to support your efforts here .

1.) If you ( doesn't bother me in the least ) want avoid even the possibility of a 'higher than normal' 'xyz gasket problem potential' on a 3800 in the years you are considering then 'one ultra conservative method' ( unnecc. so in my book ) is to go with a Series III L26 VIN CODE (eighth digit = ) equiped vehicle .

1b.) There is more build variation on the Series II than most realise - it can matter - and I'm going to ignore most of it - its more helpful that way - I think .

2.) 2003 PA (normally aspirated ??? ) can - do -???? come equiped with if you will , a 'special case' of the previous series , ie Series II ( RPO CODE L36 VIN CODE (#8) 'K' ) . ( This also means the potential problem here expresses differently than in earlier years - when applicable .)

3.) I don't have the details but there is a TSB or two on certain Supercharged 3.8s so to keep things manageable it might be good to know how this one is equiped .

(The following RPO CODES are in regards to normally aspirated engines .)

4.) You can , through 'informed inspection' usually determine if any of these things have been done already .

Here is some incomplete information from another thread here on this issue .

-----

A.) THIRD SAMPLE BULLETIN < Redacted - not complete - as is the next one >

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 03-06-01-016

Date: May, 2003

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Loss of Coolant, Milky Colored Oil
(Replace Intermediate Intake Gasket)

Models:

2000-2003 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue, Regal
2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2000-2003 Pontiac Bonneville
2000-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix
with 3.8L V6 Engine (VIN K - RPO L36)

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown. ( This would be good to know and apply - don't have here )>

Condition

Some owners may comment on a loss of coolant, coolant odor, having to add coolant or a milky substance on either the oil dipstick or oil fill cap. Additionally, owners may indicate that there are signs of coolant loss left on the ground where the vehicle is normally parked.

Cause

Condition may be due to coolant leaking past intermediate intake or throttle body gaskets.

Correction

Important: The upper intake manifold should not be replaced for a coolant leak condition, unless a rare instance of physical damage is found. Even if the throttle body surface shows a slight warpage, the upper intake should not be replaced unless a drivability concern is noted or a relevant engine DTC, such as a code for an unmetered air leak, is set and the upper intake manifold can clearly be shown as the cause of the concern.

Thoroughly check for any external leaks. If no external leaks are found, then replace the intermediate intake manifold gasket and the throttle body gasket.

When changing the throttle body gasket, the nuts that retain the throttle body should be replaced with a new design that improves torque retention. Medium strength thread locker should be applied to the studs before installing the new nuts.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

-----------

B.) FOURTH SAMPLE BULLETIN

Bulletin No.: 04-06-01-017

Date: May 26, 2004

INFORMATION

Subject:
New Upper Intake Manifold and Gasket Kits ( Note : This is a parts list update only - not a issue/solution - specific build tsb .)

Models:
1995-1997 Buick Riviera
1995-2004 Buick Park Avenue
1996-2004 Buick Regal
1997-2004 Buick LeSabre
1998-1999 Chevrolet Lumina
1998-2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2000-2004 Chevrolet Impala
1995-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight
1995-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight
1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue
1995-2004 Pontiac Bonneville
1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix
with 3.8L V6 Engine (VIN K - RPO L36)

New upper intake manifold and gasket kits have been released. These new kits will provide the dealer with the ability to get exactly what is necessary for a correct repair. In addition some of the gaskets have been updated to a more robust design. Please reference the part numbers when ordering from GMSPO.

------

( Other information cont. )
smile.gif

C.) Series III (RPO ) L26 [ 3.8L FOLLOW UP TO L36 /NOT LISTED ]
The Series III motors include many changes. The upper intake manifold is now aluminum on the naturally aspirated models. Intake ports are midly improved, 1.83" intake valves (instead of 1.80" as on Series II) and 1.52" exhaust valves were introduced in 2003 engines, just before switching to Series III. Electronic throttle control is added to all versions, as is returnless fuel injection. Stronger powdered metal sinter forged connecting rods are used in 2004+ supercharged, and 2005+ naturally aspirated engines, instead of the cast iron style from Series II engines. Emissions are also reduced. In 2005, it was the first gasoline engine in the industry to attain SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle).

--> Also note that Series III engines are the base for any 3800 produced for the 2004 year and up.

--> This means the same block, heads, & connecting rods apply to any remaining Series II engines made after 2004 also.
The difference is that Series III engines received the new intake manifolds, fuel systems, and electronics.

--------

D.) L26 Naturally Aspirated
The L26 is the Series III version of the 3800. It is still a 3.8 L design. Compression remains at 9.4:1 as with previous L36's, but the aluminum upper intake (2004+) and stronger connecting rods (2005+) are the primary physical changes. The powdered metal connecting rods were meant to be introduced in 2004 along with the L32's, but the GM plant in Bay City, MI that supplies the Flint, MI plant could not achieve the desired produtcion dates in time for that engine year.

This engine is used in the following vehicles:

2004+ Pontiac Grand Prix
Buick LaCrosse
Buick Lucerne

----

So Benzadmiral ,

Trying to make sense of it all it looks like this from over here , based on this information and other ;

1.) There are useful distinctions in the Series II production in regards to 'potential gasket problem probabilities' ( and other good to have stuff . ) .

Crudely and with error but still safe , 1995-2003 ( there are meanigful distinctions here I am ignoring )/// 2002 - 2003 (Certian specific 'builds') /// 2004, 2004+ .
'Later production' is 'generally better' and 2003 is 'late enough' .

2.) The Series III is distinct from the Series II .

3.) FWIW , if the rest of this potental purchase 'falls into place' all the above wouldn't matter to me - that would be true even back to '95 ( and earlier ) on this engine . I would still feel this way even if I 'got caught' down the road .

twocents.gif

Last edited:
The Supercharged engine does, in fact, REQUIRE premium. You can run it on regular, but you need to drive very gently and absolutely not stray into any kind of moderate-heavy boost. You will rapidly destroy the engine.

The 3800 S/C is one of the few engines that really REQUIRES premium; many modern engines are effective at adjusting ignition timing and what not, but the 3800 S/C in stock form is very prone to knock.

You can tell immediately if it is a supercharged engine or not by opening the hood and looking for well, the supercharger strapped to the top of the engine, with it's own belt.

G20ooh, thanks for all your work and input. You wrote: >

Did you mean the 8th digit should be blank? On this car, the 8th digit of the VIN is "K", so I guess it may come under this TSB. Or did I misread your info?

If this has already been done by any GM dealer, this dealer should be able to tell me, am I correct?

I don;t mind spending a bit at the outset, but I'd think this update kit should be warranty/recall territory. If it hasn't been done, I think I'll insist they do it.

IIRC, the Park Avenue was never produced with the Series III 3800. I think it was just the Grand Prix, Lucerne and LaCrosse that got the Series III engines.

Remember TSB's only tell the dealer how to correct a problem. They are not recalls, and do not extend the factory warranty time/mileage.

The Series III didn't come out until 2004.

The Series II is still an excellent, smooth running, strong engine. The intake gasket issue is a non-issue for anyone who knows how to operate a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with the complimentary 10 inch extension and 10mm flex socket.

Last edited:
Quote:

The Supercharged engine does, in fact, REQUIRE premium. You can run it on regular, but you need to drive very gently and absolutely not stray into any kind of moderate-heavy boost. You will rapidly destroy the engine.

Ooops! Here's yet another reason not to buy a rental car. I've never put Premium in any of the Supercharged rentals that I've had. If it doesn't say "Premium Fuel Only" under the gas gauge, then it is getting the 'cheap' stuff.

Last Bonne that I rented was Supercharged, and it ran just fine on 87.

The Supercharged PA's say "Unleaded Fuel Only" under the gas gauge. That's GM's mistake.

The super charged 97-03 models are to be run on premium fuel. The 04 models I believe were advertised to run on 87 but performance suffered due to pulled timing.

Fortunately, as both mrsilv04 and the sales manager at the dealership have pointed out to me, this car I'm looking at is not an Ultra. I'm done paying for premium right now, especially since most of the oil companies have gotten the idea they can charge 20% more for premium, rather than the (already extortionate) 10% they have been.

I'm going out to test-drive the big beast this evening. Stay tuned.

Out of curiosity, which S/C cars were they, because I've been in Buick Riviera's and Pontiac Grand Prix's that say "Premium Fuel Only" right on the dash/gas cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back