Home

2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil?

Posted By: Finz

2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:31 PM

Ended up leasing the civic I posted about previously... Sedan with 6 speed manual. Car is an absolute blast to drive, and Iím in the 500 mile neighborhood

This engine, 1.5l turbo, has lots written about on here and Civic/CRV forums so I have 3 questions in an effort to get as close to a final/correct answer as possible:

1. Many threads about using 91 octane vs owner manualís 87 octane to combat fuel dilution. I canít figure out how or why a higher octane would help....? Thought octane was relative to compression (only).

2. Iím going to disregard mm and change factory fill early... I figured at 1k miles. Is that a good number? sooner? Later? Prolonged exposure to a higher moly constant has been discussed.... I have a can of Lubriguard Moly lying around if that might help

3. With regard to fuel dilution, plan on oil changes every 5k. Lots of very short trips in this carís future. Many have suggested a heavier weight oil to help combat the fuel dilution. Car calls for 0W-20. I have a jug of Mobil European Formula at 0W-40. Is that too steep of a jump right off the bat? Ever? I know a turbo can be taxing on the oil as well.

Thank you for any input

óbob
Posted By: racin4ds

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:37 PM

If you're leasing it then you're not worried about it lasting nor are you planning to keep it so I'd just use whatever the OM tells you to. IF you plan to keep it long term and want it to last, I'd ignore the OM and run a 5W30 and being its a turbocharged engine with high compression, I'd never run less than 91 octane, anything less is just stupid!
Posted By: CT8

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:40 PM

Doing any maintenance on a lease is foolish.

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
If you're leasing it then you're not worried about it lasting nor are you planning to keep it so I'd just use whatever the OM tells you to. IF you plan to keep it long term and want it to last, I'd ignore the OM and run a 5W30 and being its a turbocharged engine with high compression, I'd never run less than 91 octane, anything less is just stupid!

Thanks Racin... I know Iím leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I donít mind oil changes

So you feel the 0W-40 is no good?

being its a turbocharged engine with high compression. Why do you say this...? I assumed the all high compression engines called for higher octane. This car indicates 87 is fine (Sport and SI might be different)
Posted By: wemay

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:50 PM

Sweet car with a manual transmission! Congrats. I would let the dealership take care of the oil changes on a lease. There is a member on here running 0W-40 though... he seems to like it.

IF i were to own one, i'd stick to 0W20 and follow the OLM and conduct a few UOA. If, after 3-4 UOA, the report showed accelerated wear, i'd bump up to 0/5W30. But also remember, initial UOA on a new car show more wear metals than after break-in.

Posted By: JustN89

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Finz
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Thanks Racin... I know Iím leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I donít mind oil changes

So you feel the 0W-40 is no good?

being its a turbocharged engine with high compression. Why do you say this...? I assumed the all high compression engines called for higher octane. This car indicates 87 is fine (Sport and SI might be different)

Not necessarily, no. I also wouldn't exactly call the Civic a high compression engine either being at 10.8:1. The 2018 Elantra (2.0L) runs at 12.5:1 compression and doesn't require anything other than 87 octane.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:54 PM

On a lease I didn't intend to keep I would run the cheapest oil and fuel I could find.

On a purchase or lease or I intend to keep I would run Top-Tier premium fuel and 0W-40.
Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Finz
1. Many threads about using 91 octane vs owner manualís 87 octane to combat fuel dilution. I canít figure out how or why a higher octane would help....? Thought octane was relative to compression (only).

I'd like to know this also.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 06:01 PM

Leasing = follow the OLM.

No need to worry.

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 06:19 PM

Thanks for all the input. Let me ask this another way (disregard the fact Iím leasing):

* When is a good time/mileage to replace the factory fill?
* Does a high octane gas help with fuel dilution on a car that calls for 87 octane? How?
* Would a 0W-40 be overkill in a civic in an effort to mitigate fuel dilution? Car calls for 0W-20 but I have a jug of 0W-40

I appreciate the responses so far...

Thanks again
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 06:24 PM

In the 2018 Civic Hatch Sport and Sport Touring model Honda states that premium fuel is recommended. Same engine but has 10 more HP and a different exhaust or at least the tailpipe is different. If you notice the oil level increasing I would switch to premium. Premium seems to keep it under control. One of the biggest complaints with on www.carcomplaints.com is the increasing oil level with the 2017 CRV which has the same engine.

Also time to update your signature line. smile

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
In the 2018 Civic Hatch Sport and Sport Touring model Honda states that premium fuel is recommended. Same engine but has 10 more HP and a different exhaust or at least the tailpipe is different. If you notice the oil level increasing I would switch to premium. Premium seems to keep it under control. One of the biggest complaints with on www.carcomplaints.com is the increasing oil level.

Also time to update your signature line. smile

Ha...! Fixed signature....(forgot all about it)

Any idea why premium would help with increased oil level/Fuel dilution?

Iím not arguing itís apparent effectiveness.... just tying to understand how/why
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 06:36 PM

Not sure and haven't looked into it. Lately I've been using premium in the Matrix because the power seemed down. I looked at the owner's manual and it stated use 87 or higher. It said something else about using premium but can't remember the exact verbiage. I know acceleration is much quicker and people aren't raising their hands gesturing about accelerating too slow. Now I can pull away from them. This is Shell Or BP 93 octane since they don't have 91. Just 87-89-93. I could floor it on 87 but really don't want to do that.
Posted By: parshisa

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 06:49 PM

91/93 octane + good synthic=good engine health (low FD and wear numbers)
Posted By: racin4ds

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 07:19 PM

Any engine over 10.5:1 is relatively high compression then you add forced induction on top, absolute MIN octane should be 91 octane! These OEM's detuning these cars just to say they can run 87 junk is ridiculous! If you OP for the turbocharged option you had better be ready to buy premium fuel, plain and simple.
Posted By: Char Baby

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 07:34 PM

I'd just do what the owners manual calls for.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 07:46 PM

Ē... I know Iím leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I donít mind oil changes....Ē

Itís refreshing to see this kind of attitude. Good on you.
Posted By: KGMtech

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CT8
Doing any maintenance on a lease is foolish.

Ah, No. I doubt any auto lease written in this solar system will exempt you from basic - minimum maintenance requirements.
Posted By: ARB1977

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 09:24 PM

We just got a 18 CRV with the same engine. Itís got 2K now. Fuel economy is awesome. My plan is to change the factory fill at 5K or so. Just installed a AFE ProDry air filter just because and I like those air filters. Amsoil SS 0W20 will be used.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ē... I know Iím leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I donít mind oil changes....Ē

Itís refreshing to see this kind of attitude. Good on you.

He has no obligation to Honda or future owners beyond what is specified in the owner's manual and neither Honda nor future owners should have any expectations beyond such.

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 10:28 PM

Without specifically quoting anyoneís responses:

* I agree - so far the mileage Iíve gotten in my first tank of gas has been far better than I hoped... 404 miles and fill up was 9.4xx gallons

* Iíve been driving almost exclusively in Econ mode and trying to avoid engaging turbo

* as for maintenance, Iíll simply say that I care about cars and enjoying making them run as well as possible. In 3 years I can either buy or give back the car. If I keep it, Iíd like to ensure a long life. If I give it back, Iíd like the next owner to get as much life out of it as possible. Iím under no obligation to do any more than what the mm indicates but knowing this car could have ďfaultsĒ, I can use the knowledge from BITOG and the other forums to make the best decision in caring for the car

* an earlier posting indicated this car has 10.3:1 compression. I donít have a clue if thatís high compression or not and, per my signature, you can see Iím not buying high end cars and have absolutely no idea about turbos, compression, digital tuning.... or whatever itís called. Not my thing. That said, Iím not discounting the need for this car to make use of a higher octane fuel and itís not necessarily a question of money... more a question of Why...? Can anyone tell me why a higher octane fuel would help with fuel dilution?

* with regard to the turbo, I understand that a heftier oil should be used. Combined with fuel dilution, all the more so. Is using my jug of 0W-40 a bad thing? Again, I can easily run out and grab a jug of 5W-30 but Iím just wondering if the 0W-40 is tooooo thick? And what about the moly? Several threads indicated extra moly should be run for thousands of miles during ďbreak inĒ.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 10:56 PM

In my opinion thereís no reason to that thick. If youíre looking for something a bit thicker you could pick up any 5w30 D1G2 oil - valvoline or PP. they are on a lighter side and should do just fine. Despite fuel dilution wear numbers on these engines are really low as long as you donít over run the oil. My 2c

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: parshisa
In my opinion thereís no reason to that thick. If youíre looking for something a bit thicker you could pick up any 5w30 D1G2 oil - valvoline or PP. they are on a lighter side and should do just fine. Despite fuel dilution wear numbers on these engines are really low as long as you donít over run the oil. My 2c

Ok, 5W-30 it is

How many miles on your civic? You posted a uOA right?

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 11:07 PM

Iím at 19K right with 5k on 5w30 - no difference performance and mpg wise. Iíve done 3UOAís on the car with the first one being FF and two other 0w20 oils. Last report showed very little dilution and good viscosity. For the past 7K iíve filling up with Costco 93. Just because i have some 0w20 in the stash iíll use it for next 2fills. Hope this helps

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 11:11 PM

It does... thank you

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 11:18 PM

No worries. One more thing: if you wish to greatly improve gear shifting experience- change transmisson fluid with Amsoil MTF. I promise, thatíll be the best 25$ you spend on car maintenance.
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Iím at 19K right with 5k on 5w30 - no difference performance and mpg wise. Iíve done 3UOAís on the car with the first one being FF and two other 0w20 oils. Last report showed very little dilution and good viscosity. For the past 7K iíve filling up with Costco 93. Just because i have some 0w20 in the stash iíll use it for next 2fills. Hope this helps

Are you uoa's posted here?

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/13/18 11:23 PM

They are. In August last year and January 2018
Posted By: Rand

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/14/18 12:18 AM

10.3 isnt high for a modern N/A engine.. its high for a turbo engine.

Historically you would make a turbo(or supercharged) engine lower compression because you are increasing the air in the cylinder with forced induction.
Posted By: 555

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/14/18 12:46 AM

You may want to search the 87 octane thing on this site because it's been discussed at length. Here is the abridged version:
The computer pulls the timing when knock is sensed and dumps more fuel in cylinder. With 87 octane this happens under more instances experienced during normal driving. With higher octane there is more resistance to knock so timing gets pulled less often and less instances where fuel gets dumped in cylinders. A turbo raises the compression. Drive the car normally, try to avoid boost when cold but that's about it.
I welcome all correction(s) as I connected dots far apart.
Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/14/18 01:22 AM

I like maintaining vehicles as much as the next guy on here but if it was my lease payment it would get Super Tech 0w20 and a Super Tech filter changed at the MM. Then use your savings to do UOA and share with the group to prove/disprove that the engine ends anything other than a basic oil and filter despite being a turbo DI that's known to dilute.
Posted By: RTexasF

Re: 2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil? - 06/15/18 02:24 PM

Honda is adamant about NOT changing the factory fill early. Does it not have a manual for the correct oil viscosity? Surely it's on the oil filler cap........
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy