2018 Honda Civic 1.5l Turbo: octane? Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended up leasing the civic I posted about previously... Sedan with 6 speed manual. Car is an absolute blast to drive, and I’m in the 500 mile neighborhood

This engine, 1.5l turbo, has lots written about on here and Civic/CRV forums so I have 3 questions in an effort to get as close to a final/correct answer as possible:

1. Many threads about using 91 octane vs owner manual’s 87 octane to combat fuel dilution. I can’t figure out how or why a higher octane would help....? Thought octane was relative to compression (only).

2. I’m going to disregard mm and change factory fill early... I figured at 1k miles. Is that a good number? sooner? Later? Prolonged exposure to a higher moly constant has been discussed.... I have a can of Lubriguard Moly lying around if that might help

3. With regard to fuel dilution, plan on oil changes every 5k. Lots of very short trips in this car’s future. Many have suggested a heavier weight oil to help combat the fuel dilution. Car calls for 0W-20. I have a jug of Mobil European Formula at 0W-40. Is that too steep of a jump right off the bat? Ever? I know a turbo can be taxing on the oil as well.

Thank you for any input

—bob

If you're leasing it then you're not worried about it lasting nor are you planning to keep it so I'd just use whatever the OM tells you to. IF you plan to keep it long term and want it to last, I'd ignore the OM and run a 5W30 and being its a turbocharged engine with high compression, I'd never run less than 91 octane, anything less is just stupid!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
If you're leasing it then you're not worried about it lasting nor are you planning to keep it so I'd just use whatever the OM tells you to. IF you plan to keep it long term and want it to last, I'd ignore the OM and run a 5W30 and being its a turbocharged engine with high compression, I'd never run less than 91 octane, anything less is just stupid!

Thanks Racin... I know I’m leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I don’t mind oil changes

So you feel the 0W-40 is no good?

being its a turbocharged engine with high compression. Why do you say this...? I assumed the all high compression engines called for higher octane. This car indicates 87 is fine (Sport and SI might be different)

Sweet car with a manual transmission! Congrats. I would let the dealership take care of the oil changes on a lease. There is a member on here running 0W-40 though... he seems to like it.

IF i were to own one, i'd stick to 0W20 and follow the OLM and conduct a few UOA. If, after 3-4 UOA, the report showed accelerated wear, i'd bump up to 0/5W30. But also remember, initial UOA on a new car show more wear metals than after break-in.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Thanks Racin... I know I’m leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I don’t mind oil changes

So you feel the 0W-40 is no good?

being its a turbocharged engine with high compression. Why do you say this...? I assumed the all high compression engines called for higher octane. This car indicates 87 is fine (Sport and SI might be different)

Not necessarily, no. I also wouldn't exactly call the Civic a high compression engine either being at 10.8:1. The 2018 Elantra (2.0L) runs at 12.5:1 compression and doesn't require anything other than 87 octane.

On a lease I didn't intend to keep I would run the cheapest oil and fuel I could find.

On a purchase or lease or I intend to keep I would run Top-Tier premium fuel and 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: Finz
1. Many threads about using 91 octane vs owner manual’s 87 octane to combat fuel dilution. I can’t figure out how or why a higher octane would help....? Thought octane was relative to compression (only).

I'd like to know this also.

Thanks for all the input. Let me ask this another way (disregard the fact I’m leasing):

* When is a good time/mileage to replace the factory fill?
* Does a high octane gas help with fuel dilution on a car that calls for 87 octane? How?
* Would a 0W-40 be overkill in a civic in an effort to mitigate fuel dilution? Car calls for 0W-20 but I have a jug of 0W-40

I appreciate the responses so far...

Thanks again

In the 2018 Civic Hatch Sport and Sport Touring model Honda states that premium fuel is recommended. Same engine but has 10 more HP and a different exhaust or at least the tailpipe is different. If you notice the oil level increasing I would switch to premium. Premium seems to keep it under control. One of the biggest complaints with on www.carcomplaints.com is the increasing oil level with the 2017 CRV which has the same engine.

Also time to update your signature line.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
In the 2018 Civic Hatch Sport and Sport Touring model Honda states that premium fuel is recommended. Same engine but has 10 more HP and a different exhaust or at least the tailpipe is different. If you notice the oil level increasing I would switch to premium. Premium seems to keep it under control. One of the biggest complaints with on www.carcomplaints.com is the increasing oil level.

Also time to update your signature line.
smile.gif

Ha...! Fixed signature....(forgot all about it)

Any idea why premium would help with increased oil level/Fuel dilution?

I’m not arguing it’s apparent effectiveness.... just tying to understand how/why

Not sure and haven't looked into it. Lately I've been using premium in the Matrix because the power seemed down. I looked at the owner's manual and it stated use 87 or higher. It said something else about using premium but can't remember the exact verbiage. I know acceleration is much quicker and people aren't raising their hands gesturing about accelerating too slow. Now I can pull away from them. This is Shell Or BP 93 octane since they don't have 91. Just 87-89-93. I could floor it on 87 but really don't want to do that.

Any engine over 10.5:1 is relatively high compression then you add forced induction on top, absolute MIN octane should be 91 octane! These OEM's detuning these cars just to say they can run 87 junk is ridiculous! If you OP for the turbocharged option you had better be ready to buy premium fuel, plain and simple.

Last edited:
”... I know I’m leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I don’t mind oil changes....”

It’s refreshing to see this kind of attitude. Good on you.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Doing any maintenance on a lease is foolish.

Ah, No. I doubt any auto lease written in this solar system will exempt you from basic - minimum maintenance requirements.

We just got a 18 CRV with the same engine. It’s got 2K now. Fuel economy is awesome. My plan is to change the factory fill at 5K or so. Just installed a AFE ProDry air filter just because and I like those air filters. Amsoil SS 0W20 will be used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
”... I know I’m leasing but want the next owner to be assured it was well kept and I don’t mind oil changes....”

It’s refreshing to see this kind of attitude. Good on you.

He has no obligation to Honda or future owners beyond what is specified in the owner's manual and neither Honda nor future owners should have any expectations beyond such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back