perfect dark circles on brake rotors... help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

I've been meaning to ask this. I changed my pads @ 40k. I replaced them with the Axxis Deluxe Plus. Ever since then I have these perfect black rings on my rotors. Does this mean that the contact is uneven or something?

FYI I just slapped the pads on. I didn't do anything with the rotors when I changed pads. The shims are all back and in the right place. I have 46k now and my brakes are fine. I just want to see what the problem is so I don't have problems later down the road. thanks.

Is there anything I can do to fix my mistake?

The high spots on your rotors are the only thing hitting the pad at first. Eventually they will wear in. No big deal really, I can't see any problems cropping up besides shorter pad life and less than optimal braking at first.

It's a good idea to get your rotors machined when you install new pads, but at this point, machining them would only give you an uneven contact again, unless you buy a new set of pads.

Don't worry too much about it, if it stops ok leave it alone. I've done it and never had issues.

I've done this many times my self, just slapping the pads on and not maching the rotors. Never had any problems, just let the pads wear onto the rotors. Best of luck

if it does start to act weird just have the rotors turned and sand the pads with a little sandpaper. I know its annoying and takes a while to do, but it will fix any bedding problems.

It's best to break the glaze on rotors that are to be reused.
It may take a while for your pads to seat properly, and you will have compromised braking for a while.
You may have pulls or simply inefficient braking. If you really need the brakes, they may not grab well for a while.

I threw a brake pad on the front rotor of a Ford van one new year's eve in the afternoon. It really scored the rotor. I had to use the van that night so waiting was not an option and I put pads on right over the scored rotor. It wore faster but actually cleaned up some of the scoring on the rotor with the pad. It worked well enough the we waited a month or two before going back and doing the repair right.

here are updated pictures. Am I safe? Should I do something?
2qn74pl.jpg

24eri2u.jpg

I have the exact same problem with mine and it look very similar to the picture above.

These are new rotors and new Hawk pads. What gives? Uneven pressure applied by the calipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back