transmission cooler for ford windstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this question on behalf of my neighbor. They own a 2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L V6 that has been converted for wheelchair transportation. Now since the van has been re-fitted for handicapped use it has a massive ramp and elevator installed inside and the roof has been extended vertically, and some other accessories have also been installed on the van so all in all with all this stuff the weight of this van is alot more than your regular windstar. So his question is with the van pulling around alot more weight would it be wise to install a transmission cooler on the van because everytime the van is used there is alot of stress being put on the transmission a model of Ford van that is known have automatic transmission problems. Has anyone used a cooler on their tranny, any interesting results, and does anyone recommend a brand of cooler or retailer or website that might have one for this type of model vehicle?

thanks for your time!
canada.gif

what other steps can he take to keep this tranny going, oil changes...ect?

From the Amsoil website:
2000 FORD WINDSTAR 3.8L 6-cyl Engine Code 4
Automatic Transmission.....MA5[2]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
2. Use Mercon V, part no. XT-5-QM. Do not use regular Mercon.
Ford Motor Co. recommends the use of Mercon V in AODE/
4R70W TRANSs which experience vibration & shudder
under light to moderate acceleration above 35 mph or
TRANS fluid brakedown.When changing to Mercon V
drain all TRANS fluid including torque converter
Cooler & cooler lines.
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
AX4S..........12.0 quarts

Go with a good synthetic ATF like Amsoil which will help the transmission run cooler and last longer. You get a free warranty for parts and labor should the Amsoil ATF fail.

A remote transmission filter is cheap and couldn't hurt. You can get one with a temperature gauge and decide from there whether you need a cooler.

There really is no custom-sized transmission cooler that fits this vehicle, rather you must choose one that fits somewhere in front of the ac condenser, that fits your budget and provides the extra cooling that is needed. Is there a magic formula? No. But you being in Canada have less severe hot weather than say here in South Carolina, driving up the mountains daily. If I was you, I would go with the synthetic fluid as suggested, first. It will last longer in service and provide additional protection in extreme cold or hot weather. Additional cooling and filtration as suggested are both great advice, too. I have always added a cooler to automatics and have never had one fail yet. If you are taking longer trips in the summer or sitting in traffic often, then yes your automatic transmission would benefit from extra cooling. I bought some coolers from bulkpart.com as they have decent prices and all sizes to choose from. But most autoparts stores will have one that should be suitable for your needs.

I didn't notice you were from Quebec. You might want to install a bypass with the cooler in that case. I think B&M makes one that bypasses the cooler until 180'F.

My Ford Escape comes with a factory fluid-to-air cooler, and there is a TSB stating to install a bypass if there are shifting concerns in temperatures below -28'C.

You need to monitor temp to draw the conclusion on whether a cooler is needed or not. Permacool has a filter kit with temp gauge. The filter will add a quart of capacity reducing thermal runaway when load is excessive, and by itself might elimate the need for a cooler.

Since you are up north, other then during a few weeks in the summer, the odds are you don't need a cooler. The temp reading will verify that.

A easy upgrade is just to flush with a synthetic. It'll tolerate hotter temps caused during the summer and by traffic jams. Since its 7 years old, its probably due for some maintenance.

Yea I'll tell him to try synthetic fluid first, but his main concern was travelling in the summer because from may until september its pretty hot in my region.

I have a '96 Windstar with the 3.8L engine.
I installed a Derale cooler in front of the radiator.
I mounted mine more toward the top.....behind the opening that is above the bumper.....between the headlights.
I put it there as there that is a place that gets fewer stone strikes than below the bumper.
I think mine was rated for around 18,000lbs GVW.
The B&M is also a very good one to get.

Mine is installed in series with the factory cooler, that is inside the radiator.

My windstar has a small metal block that is located in the metal lines that are right in front of the transaxle.
This metal block is a thermal switch, that causes the fluid to bypass the cooler(s) when it is at about 32 degrees F or lower.

I have Mobil 1 ATF in there right now, and it has worked great for me.
Mobil 1 ATF, in the past year, changed to be for Mercon V vehicles as well as Mercon.
FORD is discontinueing Mercon specification and is calling for Mercon V to be used in it's place.

I DO recommed a high quality synthetic fluid.
Also, The manual calls for changing the fluid at least every 30K miles...and I would do that religously.
Go for the fluid exchange, no cleaners.
The transaxle holds about 12.25 quarts.

When they have it changed, the fluid exchange method has them disconnect the return line from the cooler(s) and then the engine is started.
The machine adds new fluid at the same rate that the old fluid comes out.
I would have them use about 15 quarts, as there is a certain amount of mixing of old and new fluid inside the transaxle.

I would also make sure that the radiator fans work on the low speed setting.
With the engine at idle, A/C on, the radiator fans should be on at low speed.
If they are not on.....it is possible that the low speed dropping resistor is open.
The low speed dropping resistor is located kind of behind the passenger headlight.....on the metal bumper.
Low speed radiator fan operation is a major contributor to keeping the transmission cool in that stop and go and sitting at idle operation.
My dropping resistor was broken, and I got the replacement from the dealer....not real expensive, and not too hard to replace.....takes a long extension to get to the small bolts.

Wiswind is definately the man when it comes to Ford Windstars!
cheers.gif
I couldn't agree more in regards to ATF swaps every 30Kmi or sooner on the AX4S/AX4N in these vans. When I bought my 2001 windstar used @ just under 3yrs old with ~34Kmi on it, the (I assume) factory ATF was nearly as black as used motor oil and really stunk. I've since done 2 pan drops/cleanouts and are currently at 77Kmi with out any issues. Power steering fluid needs to be addressed in the same manner. There is a large aux cooler for the PS system. One for that AX4N could only help.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back