2 ton vs 3 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to decided if I should get some 2 or 3 tons jack & jackstands.

I understand that my car is not even over 2 tons should technically 2 tons is sufficient.

Even for vans, SUV, mid-size trucks 2 tons should be plenty. Unless you plan on balancing a multi-ton vechile on a single corner.

Any reason why I should invest in 3 ton jacks/stands? Even if I do own SUV/van/truck in the future?

The lighter of those, either the jack itself or the jackstands are often pretty cheesy, and prettys cheap.
I'd suggest you go for the better stuff if you can afford it.
After all, YOU are going to be under that car.
confused.gif

I agree. When I got mine the 3 tons were only $9 more than the 2 tons. I figured my life could be worth the extra $9. I just felt better knowing the truck would have the extra support.

I got the bigger one because it was a more convenient size to work with, bigger base, taller reach, bigger end. After all, as long is it isn't too tall to go under the right spot under the vehicle in question, it can't really be too big. Incidentally, I've used a hydraulic jack under a truck that weighed more than the capacity of the jack and an internal check valve simply wouldn't let the jack lift the weight in question. I imagine they are all that way which is a good safety feature.

Sparkman,
How long have you had your jack? I have thought about getting one like that. The 3 ton is $120 more. Hmm...

zimmerDN,
I would definitely get the 3 ton stands. The jack would depend on the other features that came with the larger capacity. Is this a package set though?

I've had it about three years. After using mostly cheap 20lb jacks all of my life I'll never go back! I got tired of jacks leaking down or breaking after a year, so I go permission from the boss and took the plunge.

This is no two-speed fast-lift whizbang gizmo mind you, just good ole fashion lifting power. It's actually kind of slow when the vehicle is on the ground because the handle is so long that the angle it can be moved is really small. I set the vehicle down on jackstands and leave some weight on the jack for redundancy, then I remove the handle because it's long and in the way.

Somewhat off-topic, but -

For the past several years I have had two identical hydraulic floor jacks (cheapos - though I won't and can't defend that part) and it is amazing how often two jacks come in very handy. Regarding jackstands - ALWAYS use them, and inspect them often.

Select your jacks and jackstands like you would a gal....

go with the extra-large economy size.

If the heater stops working on a 20-below-zero night you will be snug and warm.

And, you have little to fear of the local male population of constantly trying to woo her (usually).

And, she will be so incredibly grateful that you will likely not be henpecked to death.

Yep, go with maximus large.

I made the mistake of buying a cheapo sheet metal 2.5 ton that came with stands (at Walmart I believe). The jacks are OK, but the jack is a joke. I recently bought a HD 3 ton from Sears (imported I know) on sale for $60. This jack is made with heavy plate steel and effortlessly lifts both of my vehicles (truck and SUV). The difference is amazing, and makes jacking up a vehicle much easier. No need to move the handle from the lift position to lower the jack either. Simply turning the handle controls the valve.

Suprised to see Hein-werner/Lincoln is now made in THE USA!!!! Years ago when they were Lincoln and US made they were the finest jacks in the world. Then came mfg. and assy. in Mexico,,TOTAL junk. Probably why they became HW instead of Lincoln.

I'd say buy the ones that have the highest lift height for jack, and the highest quality jack stand.

I've had enough of trouble trying to find a spot in my uneven garage so I can lift my car high enough so I can get under, now I realize that it is the height that matters, not the weight rating.

PB,
You bring up a good point that I failed to mention earlier. The Lincoln jack that was linked to above is a 2 ton & will lift to 20". Their 3 ton will lift to 23". I had to get a jack that would lift to 23" for our Honda Accord. I know that sounds strange, but it is required for tire rotation to due to the layout at our apartment complex. This won't be a problem in our new house.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice guys. I went out to buy a set of 3 ton jackstands yesterday from walmart.

Even though they are from walmart, they still seem every well built with a seconndary lock (just a locking pin). The stand itself is heavy and seems sturdy. Big-Red is the brand.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200304823_200304823

More of their products here
http://www2.northerntool.com/cat-1/4294952799.htm

As for jacks, I already have a 2 ton motomaster (canadian tire brand) jack from 10 years ago and this thing is still going strong. I actually like it better than the other cheap walmart brand jack someone let me borrowed.

Quote:

I made the mistake of buying a cheapo sheet metal 2.5 ton that came with stands (at Walmart I believe). The jacks are OK, but the jack is a joke..

I made the same mistake...it lifted my Mazda easily, but something was always wrong with the mechanism. When I attemtped to lift my Frontier with it a few weeks ago, the piston jammed in the 'in' position and never sprung back out, so it ended up in the dumpster. What a piece. I like the jackstands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back