Opinion on Oil for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been MIA on the board for a bit, but i'm back for now. I picked up a '85 supra with 175K miles and it's original other than the head has been pulled and re-done sometime i'm guessing about 30K-50K ago. the motor does not smoke at all, anytime. It has oil leaks, but they're getting fixed. I drive the car daily, and i live in FL where it's very hot year round. I'm looking for a dino oil. I currently threw some 20-50 Advance Auto oil and a Wix just for an initial oil change. Not sure what oil the PO was using, but it was very black. I'm debating running 20-50 Regular Valvoline, Havoline or the Racing Valvoline. I've run delo 15-40 in my 4runner and loved it. Pressure stayed up when off-roading in 100+ weather when normal oil let it drop to almost nada. So what would hold it's Visc better and be thicker? b/c this motor is well worn. so I'm looking for nice thick oil. Saving .2 MPG is not a concern.

My brother lives in New Port Ritchie, has a 95 Ford F150 with about 90K. He's been pretty good about oil changes, but the 302 V8 in it uses up the 5W30 the Firestone dealer insists on putting in it. So, given tht he really doesn't drive it all that much (he mostly gets around in a 320 Mercedes), I started doing a twice yearly OCI of Rotella T 5W40 when I go down for golf fall and late spring.

It's plenty thick when hot, isn't such a load to move when starting up, and he's quit using oil on the occasion he takes a trip in it across the state and back for golf junkets and whatnot. This one's an XLT with all the downtown comfort items on it, so it's quite car-like. He drives it the same 80 MPH that everyone else does on I-4. No oil usage, and the Rotella T has plenty of additive these older vehicles needed.

I'd say your Supra with the 175L would be just fine with this Rotella 5W40 also. In the high summer, it already specs 20W50, but man, that's THICK for a little four-banger, spec or not. Cold starts the 15W40's are pretty hard on the car..

For older cars and trucks, I think the Rotella T Syn in 5W40 is a great balance to offer up easier cold morning starts but still providing the protection against the later-day heat that is so common in the Tampa region in wintertime.

My 2 cents..

It's a 6cyl, not 4cyl. No way I'm paying the 5-40 syn prices. I'm sticking with dino. I've had great luck with the 15-40 Delo in my 4runner-rock-runner. But it's well worn, so that's why i'm running a 20w-50.

My personal experiences with this engine back during the Reagan administration was that they're incredibly hard on cam lobes and rod bearings.

Toyota recommended a 10,000 mile drain interval with 10W-40 back then and it was a mistake. The cam towers raised the camshafts out of the oil bath which caused rapid lobe wear and the bearing surface areas were simply undersize to the detriment of the bottom end.

"IF" the bearings are in good condition then use a viscous oil and change it frequently. The factory recommendation of 10w-40 was not a bad choice but 1980's chemistry and extended drains was a cause of many Supra 5MGE failures.

A high mileage 10W-30/40 (Valvoline is my choice) would work well with short drain intervals. The brand of oil is really a non-issue in my personal opinion.

If you get into repairing this engine you will find that Toyota changed the crankshaft and the bearing design. You will likely have to buy a entire crankshaft kit as opposed to buying individual bearing sets. Since it's the same engine as was put in the Cressida parts aren't too difficult to obtain.

Off topic.. I LOVE the second generation Celica Supra!!!!

I poured in 4 qts of 10-40 and 1 qt of 10-30 Quaker state SUV/4x4 syn blend. I really didn't notice a pressure drop. the pressure still looks good. I might try the 10-40 Valvoline Maxlife stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back