The BP-80a NLA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a tech reply from Amsoil about the difference between the BP80a mount and the BK-203 mount. The rep stated that the BP80a was no longer available.

Before I got the response, I found the answer to my question (the BP80a being an older, cast mount) and ordered one from the website along with some fittings and an eabp90 filter.

Can't get ahold of anyone today (holiday...). Anyone know of this?

If it's not available, I'll need to go another route. Vehicle is an '89 Audi 5cyl (2.3L) with 165K miles. Thoughts?

If you're able to order it on line ..you may get lucky if they did discontinue it. It's way cheaper then the alternatives.

There are alternatives ..none are that cheap, though
frown.gif

You can get an adapted remote mount by some guy on ebay. He socks you in S&H so compare what Amsoil offers in their single mount for the BE line.

Search ebay for item 8033340928

It doesn't have a restrictor like the one Amsoil offered ...so you'll have to put some form of restrictor in there. Amsoil just used a brass plug with a 0.030 hole in it.

Hey thanks for the info on the restrictor.

I already found that guy on Ebay - claiming regular full flow oil filters were just like the Amsoil EaBP90.......

I work for a Ford/Sterling/Western Star/Cummins/Detroit/Cat/Etc dealer so finding my own parts shouldn't be impossible. I was looking at ordering one of our filter heads and making a restrictor (on the return line???). So, my main question now:

What is the thread size of the EaBP90 filter?

1-16 ...Cummins full flow size. That's the killer. I don't think that anyone makes a remote mount in the 1-16 thread ..which is the only thread that the Amsoil bypass filter comes in. Sure there are other Donaldson (and others) bypass filters ..but they are not nearly as fine as Amsoil's.

I've been there and done that on this deal. They establish very frustrating roadblocks to their proprietary offerings. It's just at the point where it gets jeeeest near as expensive to do anything else. Now I personally don't get the marketing end of it. I'd be giving the heads away at cost ..just to make the expensive filters easier to handle. Sorta like the inkjet printer deal ..the printers were not where the money was. It was selling replacement cartridges. But what do I know
dunno.gif

btw- I didn't see where he claimed that the BE line was the same as full flow (or otherwise)...but no matter...

Here's what he also sells for your adaptation puposes.

-

make your own out of a common ford thread remote mount.

I believe this is the one I was referring to:

eBay link

But the one you're showing I can actually see working. Lemme see what I can find in the Cummins Filtration (AKA Fleetguard) books today.

[ July 05, 2006, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

That insert will work for most common bypass filters. They're typically in the 10um range ..more like some hydaulic filters micron rating. The 1-16 thread is the only thread that an Amsoil bypass filter comes in.

Well, Amsoil replied today saying that the BP-80a was still in stock and is on its way
smile.gif

The BP80A is a BITOG Secret that saves quite a few dollars. I would stay with the short filter. The casting won't take the weight of the big filters. I ran this set-up on my Ford truck for hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem.

I recently purchased 2 BP80A's and installed them on my Mopars...working very good and cheap too boot. The EaO bypass filters are good for 50K or when ever they stop filtering/full of gook.

Yes! UPS showed up with the new filter & head. Great little piece for the price. I'm just waiting on a little metric street T from VDO so I can tap into the oil sender. Will post pics!

I see why the filter thread is 1-16. They use a 3/8" pipe plug inside screwed into the thread where the filter attaches with a tiny hole drilled in it for a restrictor.

I found a cast remote mount filter for a 5.9 Cummins through Fleetguard, but it was over $90!

Grab the part number off of it and put it in the various filter x'ref engines and it may puke out another number for a cheaper head. Wix lists quite a few ..as does Baldwin and Donaldson.

I'm sure I've seen BIG Cummins bypass filter heads in the $45-$50 range. None that I have found are offered in the 1-16 thread that will allow the use of an Amsoil bypass.

Fleetguard HH6981 is the p/n for the remote 5.9L mount. It notes a 25psi bypass setting. Any problem there?

-

By gosh ..you found a 1-16 thread remote that wasn't Amsoil's ...congrats. I was sure that it didn't exist. Then again ...the price makes it a moot point.
dunno.gif

This head, with its integrated bypass valve, presents some interesting possibilities ..and some liabilities as well. You can't use it for a bypass filter that is returned to a zero pressure point ..since you'll be anywhere from (who knows what?) to perhaps 80 psid. It will dump lots of oil. Without a restrictor of some type, anyway.

OTOH, the Dual Guard, subjects the BE media to FULL oil flow depending on pressure(there are no restrictors in the BK-12 filter head assembly (I assume that they depend on the 3/16 -astard size lines to limite the flow)....so you could conceivably use an Amsoil bypass filter as a full flow. It would bypass gobs of oil until the oil warmed ..and maybe even when warm
dunno.gif

..but it does offer some creative possibilities for those who can manage an assured 25 PSID addition to their startup pressures. Certainly not recommended for those who don't thoroughly plan things out
wink.gif

Hmmm...two of those ..with BE-110 filters....with a light oil or synthetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back