Lots of small cracks in the paint on my hood...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed today that the paint on the hood of my "new" cherokee has a ton of little lines in it that are about 1/4" long. I guess the clearcoat is just starting to crack from the heat of the engine, it's not like that anywhere else. Is there anything special I can do to that area to keep it from getting worse? I plan on putting a good coat of wax on the whole thing tomarrow...

It's not THAT bad...it took me a while to even notice. Even if I had to have the hood repainted I still got a REALLY good deal on it.

Mine did that too... but you'd have to be right up on it to see. Now my while hood and overcab are like that everywhere.
When I did wax and do once a year, about as often as I get it washed... It looks good except when you get real close... I use KLASSE... worked well IMO.

There's prolly a very good reason why you get such a great deal on the Jeep.

$1 says its already been repainted. Paint straight from the factory is usually pretty good. Most of the paint problems from the 80s and 90s have been solved.

Does the cracking sorta look like these pics?

http://www.autoint.com/highmagnclctfail.htm

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
There's prolly a very good reason why you get such a great deal on the Jeep.

$1 says its already been repainted. Paint straight from the factory is usually pretty good. Most of the paint problems from the 80s and 90s have been solved.

Does the cracking sorta look like these pics?

http://www.autoint.com/highmagnclctfail.htm

Yeah, it looks kinda like the picture on the right, although not that bad. I highly doubt that it has been repainted, it's a factory color, and if it was repainted they did a REALLY good job at doing it perfectly, which would mean they wouldn't have used cheap paint.

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
If it is truly "new" I'd pitch a fit till they repainted it.

No, it's a '96, that's why I said "new". Only new to me.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
If it is truly "new" I'd pitch a fit till they repainted it.

No, it's a '96, that's why I said "new". Only new to me.
wink.gif

OK then I wouldn't pitch a fit.
wink.gif

The paint, the clearcoat, or both have started polymerizing. This is a chemical reaction from within the paint and/or a reaction with an incompatible clear coat. It will only get worse over time and waxing will not stop it. The quality of the paint has little to do with what's happening. The pre-painting prep work has just about everything to do with it. Is this the factory paint or was part or the whole vehicle re-sparayed at some point in its history?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Is this the factory paint or was part or the whole vehicle re-sparayed at some point in its history?

I'm pretty sure it is the factory paint. I don't know if any part has been repainted, but it doesn't look like it anywhere...although the hood being the only place this is happening is making me suspicious.

cool.gif
Hood paint is easily aggravated from the engine heat. When I used to sell cars we'd occasionally have to get a brand new one touched up either from damage in transit or sucky factory paint, usually the former. If there's an '84 Hurst/Olds that didn't have the hood re-done, I'm not aware of it.
grin.gif

[ January 13, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back