Used Review- '17 Nissan Armada Platinum

We purchased this vehicle 1 year ago with 46K miles. It has Nissan Gold CPO which is nice. This vehicle new was 62K! We paid 32K
smile.gif
Here's my assessment so far!

Pros:

- 5.6 engine is awesome; great sound, nice powerband.
- One of the most comfortable vehicles i've ever driven. Nissan seems to have something with their zero gravity seats. Ride, noise control excellent. Lots of features with the Platinum is a plus.
- Lots of room plus 3 rows
- I like the rear a/c system design; has ac vents down low and in the roof making it more usable, especially with kids in Phoenix summers!
- Love the 360 camera view with parking sensors/etc

Cons:

- Not a huge fan of the 7 speed programming. We did however get a TCM update from Nissan and it is MUCH improved.
- A/C sometimes seems "weak" when idling, even for a short time. May have it looked at.
- I like the 360 degree cameras but the actual camera quality is NOT GOOD for newer technology. This has been updated in later years but we have to deal with it.
- User interface easy enough to use, but I feel like it could use more features/settings.

Issues since ownership:

- Driver side mirror motor went bad, replaced under warranty
- TCM update to improve transmission programming
- Rear axle had minor leak and slight wine. Nissan replaced the whole differential under warranty
- Currently has oil leak somewhere, no drips/oil loss but bottom of engine has mostly dry oil. Need to get looked at.

Maintenance:

It's pretty easy overall. Oil changes require plate removal, very common with most cars. Transmission service wasn't bad at all. I bought a Yamaha adapter and built a pump from a generic fluid sprayer for $20 and it works great.

Final Thoughts:

Sitting at 55K now, we really do like this vehicle. My wife drives it primarily and has no complaints. Ride quality is excellent. Fit and finish is very good; everything feels solid with no squeaks/rattles. Fuel mileage has been decent for a V8; around 17 mixed, 15 all city, best of 18.9 driving up north. Very happy we bought a certified vehicle due to the issues mentioned above. Warranty is bumper to bumper until 2024/100K. Hoping all possible issues arise prior to warranty expiration!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the review.

I agree on the seats and overall comfort.
Those two features alone, are enough to sell me on one as a daily
thumbsup2.gif

CON: IT SUCKS GAS.........even compared to it's competition.

I do like them however.

Last edited:
Nice! I considered buying one that was that same color a year or so ago.

You don't see many Armadas my way. Never did.

We eventually went the Pathfinder route and bought a used 2019 which has been decent. Paid ~$24K for it

Originally Posted by JTK
Nice! I considered buying one that was that same color a year or so ago.

You don't see many Armadas my way. Never did.

We eventually went the Pathfinder route and bought a used 2019 which has been decent. Paid ~$24K for it

Yeah I like that you don't see many around! I like the Pathfinder to, but I have a hard time with CVT's. Old school thinking but i like the cogs
smile.gif

CKN; we haven't gotten poor mpg with ours. Overall average since last year has been 16.3, which falls within noise of all the competitors. Being that it is a V8 however, I do wish the fuel tank was larger for long trips.

I don't think ~17mpg mixed driving is bad at all for the configuration of this vehicle. Is there any comparable make/model that does better?

I haven't driven or fueled up our 2019 Pathfinder enough to do a hand calc on average fuel economy, but with the darling bride's usage, the dash computer calc always levels out to around 18mpg.

My MIL has the 2017 Infiniti version. Very comfortable ride and feels very solid. The fuel tank is way too small, the camera quality stinks and the in dash computer/nav interface is a bit clunky and very dated. Basically what you said.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
the in dash computer/nav interface is a bit clunky and very dated. Basically what you said.

Seems to be a Nissan thing. We don't have NAV on our 2019 Pathfinder, but I find the audio and HVAC controls and layout to be absolutely bizarre.

Originally Posted by JTK
the in dash computer/nav interface is a bit clunky and very dated. Basically what you said.

Seems to be a Nissan thing. We don't have NAV on our 2019 Pathfinder, but I find the audio and HVAC controls and layout to be absolutely bizarre.

How so? I always liked the simplicity of the tri-knob design.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
Originally Posted by JTK

I hate to derail the OP's Armada write-up with 2013-2020 Pathfinder talk, but maybe the buttons, bells and whistles are similar?

Where do I begin with our 2019 Pathfinder SV 4x4..

I'll start with the some of the settings for maintenance minders, lighting and safety settings, etc. Some of it you have to use the display on the dash center cluster with the steering wheel controls. Others you have to use the head-unit display, for which you can use the touch screen or the knobs and buttons associated with the head unit. Some you can use both!

Next is the HVAC controls. You can use the top touch screen, the big 'ol chrome spinny knob, or the arrow keys. OR, just move on down to the knobs and buttons associated with HVAC cluster. What a total cluster... There's the rear HVAC controls mixed in as well, which again can be touch screen adjusted or button and knob manipulated. There's just this weird redundancy in the controls I don't like.

Then thrown into the mix is a CD player and a bunch of buttons associated with it.. In 2019. Does anyone use CDs anymore? I'm old and probably haven't dug one out in a dozen years.

In reality none of it matters to me. It's the bride's ride and she likes it. I have to admit it is comfy, large and super nice to drive.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by tbm5690
Originally Posted by JTK

I hate to derail the OP's Armada write-up with 2013-2020 Pathfinder talk, but maybe the buttons, bells and whistles are similar?

Where do I begin with our 2019 Pathfinder SV 4x4..

I'll start with the some of the settings for maintenance minders, lighting and safety settings, etc. Some of it you have to use the display on the dash center cluster with the steering wheel controls. Others you have to use the head-unit display, for which you can use the touch screen or the knobs and buttons associated with the head unit. Some you can use both!

Next is the HVAC controls. You can use the top touch screen, the big 'ol chrome spinny knob, or the arrow keys. OR, just move on down to the knobs and buttons associated with HVAC cluster. What a total cluster... There's the rear HVAC controls mixed in as well, which again can be touch screen adjusted or button and knob manipulated. There's just this weird redundancy in the controls I don't like.

Then thrown into the mix is a CD player and a bunch of buttons associated with it.. In 2019. Does anyone use CDs anymore? I'm old and probably haven't dug one out in a dozen years.

In reality none of it matters to me. It's the bride's ride and she likes it. I have to admit it is comfy, large and super nice to drive.

Vehicle settings in my Equinox are similar. Some are controlled/changed via the touch screen. Some are in the cluster. Seems normal to me.

Control redundancy is great. For example, if it was all in the touch screen, and the touch screen dies, you would be stuck. This HVAC system in the Pathfinder sounds like it was engineered by an actual engineer who saw an opportunity to put some real fail safes in place. I find that to be rather impressive.

I detest digital media and streaming music and still buy and use CDs. It will be a sad day when they actually go away permanently and I have to deal with putting my music on flash drives.

I am starting to get in the market for a new vehicle and have been casually looking at Nissan. The CVT transmission aspect just has me looking at a distance right now at the Murano or Pathfinder. Has Nissan really made running improvements to the CVTs in these vehicles to the point where problems are few and easily fixed, or are they still a point of concern?

Generally speaking, the CVTs behind the 6-cylinder plants have a better track record than the ones mated to the 4-bangers due to more robust belts. If they are taken care of with proper fluid changes at the right interval, many have gone many miles without issue.

Just a follow up to something I mentioned in the OP, took it in for minor oil leak. Upper pan gasket needs replaced, 12 hour job according to advisor so it's in the shop and thankful for the certified warranty!

Just a follow up to something I mentioned in the OP, took it in for minor oil leak. Upper pan gasket needs replaced, 12 hour job according to advisor so it's in the shop and thankful for the certified warranty!

Great covered under warranty. The underlying issue is that these things shouldn't be going wrong at this time/millage. Makes you wonder even more at long-term ownership costs-after warranty. And the other issue is-it's my under standing the underpinnings of this vehicle is used else where in the world. So-it really gives one pause.

That is sealed with RTV. And it is a big job.

Great covered under warranty. The underlying issue is that these things shouldn't be going wrong at this time/millage. Makes you wonder even more at long-term ownership costs-after warranty. And the other issue is-it's my under standing the underpinnings of this vehicle is used else where in the world. So-it really gives one pause.

That is a good point and something I've considered. We are covered thru 100K but who knows after that of course. Hoping for the best and that these issues were flukes.

My wife has an '18 Armada. I've already have to replace the brake switch. Not hard to replace, but a pain that it fails so early. I imagine yours has already been replaced.

My wife has an '18 Armada. I've already have to replace the brake switch. Not hard to replace, but a pain that it fails so early. I imagine yours has already been replaced.

Hmm, I'll have to check it out when i get it back. Thanks for tip!

Biggest issue with the nissan 5.6 is the combined cat/ manifold tends to crack and they are 3K a piece plus labor.

Aside from that the mills are gems.

UD

Back