Fiberglass Garage Door

Al

My gun club has two fiberglass garage doors. I would guess they are at least 30 years old. They get lots of sun and are really showing their age. Deterioration is on the outside and the inside is fine. I am looking for a "Restoration Product" Possibly a UV protectorate.
Thanks. So many knowledgeable folks on here!!!

You mean like a high solids paint? Acrylic latex, and an acrylic primer if you want it to last longer.

If it *needs* sanded, wear a respirator because you don't want to breathe the fibers.

Hopefully demarpaint will chime in on this..

I'm thinking you'll have to stabilize the surface with a zinsser primer type product first, then topcoat.

I assume the paint needs to be clear because these are the old fiberglass doors that let some diffuse light through, right?
I'd find a good UV resistant (thinking boat/surfboard) clear resin.

Originally Posted by JohnG
I assume the paint needs to be clear because these are the old fiberglass doors that let some diffuse light through, right?
I'd find a good UV resistant (thinking boat/surfboard) clear resin.

You are correct. Thanks for the info.
And thanks others, so far. I appreciate it.

Im assuming that youve exhausted options for clear varnishes? Like Helmsman poly?

Id look into if a good boat paint, like awlgrip clear can just be coated without paint or primer.

Im assuming you want matte, which is also a consideration.

Everything takes me back to an eggshell type poly.

I have no experience with this, but the combination of fiberglass outdoors screams to me for some kind of marine product, like JHZR2 mentions.

I would think that a clear marine gel coat or clear coat would be perfect. And I assume, as with any painting process, the surface prep is the most important part.

Not an endorsement at all, just a couple of the first searches I came across:

Gel: https://www.fibreglast.com/product/Clear_Gel_Coat_just_gel_coats_00180/Polyester_Resins
Clear: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/toon-brite-protective-clear-coat-for-boats-35339.html

It looks like the Gel might be a little more durable, but probably not necessary for a garage door (compared to something that's used below the water line).

Back