How many gas cans do you keep on hand?

One.. 5 gallon, a racing style one with a big mouth for a fast pour. More upright than low and rectangular.

Three. All are old school 1980's type. Two steel Eagle 2.5 gallon cans and one 6 gallon plastic can. Don't need a a lot of gasoline for our NC hurricanes. My standby generator runs on propane with a 250 gallon in ground tank.

I keep two one gallon plastic gas containers. One is 89 octane mixed with Stihl 2 stroke oil for my Stihl Weedwacker and Stihl Blower. The other can is 87 octane regular gas for my lawnmower. I like to get fresh gas for my lawn equipment -- usually once a month.

6, Blitz 5 gallon cans which have a top and a side handle, pre EPA and a 2 gallon EPA can for two-stroke. I need a new spout for one of the 5 gallon cans. I keep and rotate fuel.
The fuel is kept in a metal building/work shop away from my home.

6 five gallon containers, and one 2.5 gallon and one one gallon. Five of the 5 gallon containers have ethanol gas with stabilizer. I change them out every 6 months when the new seasonal gas arrives.

Two five gallons gas tanks and two five gallon diesel tanks. Basically all the generator is for is refrigeration and entertainment/internet in a power outage, and with an inverter generator running low loads for 6 hours a day, even 10 gallons goes a long time if necessary. The diesel is for the tractor and the odd time I'll burn 5 gallons in a day so its nice to have a 10-12 hours of fuel on hand.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I keep 5 gallons of E0 on hand along with the 7 gallon tank on the generator full with E0 and rotate it out every month or so. If we have an extended power outage (longest we've had in this house is 12 hours so far) I can take gas out of the Jeep or Pickup which are always full. It's gas with ethanol, which I'm sure the carburetor won't like, but I can drain the tank / carb after and refill with E0

Re "I can take gas out of the Jeep or Pickup" try it sometime. Almost all modern vehicles have something in the fill neck that prevents you from putting a siphon hose in it far enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Originally Posted by Miller88
I keep 5 gallons of E0 on hand along with the 7 gallon tank on the generator full with E0 and rotate it out every month or so. If we have an extended power outage (longest we've had in this house is 12 hours so far) I can take gas out of the Jeep or Pickup which are always full. It's gas with ethanol, which I'm sure the carburetor won't like, but I can drain the tank / carb after and refill with E0

Re "I can take gas out of the Jeep or Pickup" try it sometime. Almost all modern vehicles have something in the fill neck that prevents you from putting a siphon hose in it far enough.

Yeah, this why I never bought a gas extractor even the ones that make whole videos of people trying to get them down fill necks of Corvettes and things (there is a second baffle! etc etc) because.. doesn't work.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Miller88 said:

Depends on the age of the vehicle. I have no problem siphoning out of few I have around that are 50+ years old. I do keep a few gas cans around (the old vented type that actually work), but in a pinch gas can be siphoned out of our older cars.

One 2.5 gallon. Never worried about gas, cause i have too many cars. I could fill everything up and make it a few months. I do keep a spare propane tank full and ready.

I don't believe a hurricane has surprised anyone in the last 20 years at least. Plenty of warning to get fuel etc if the threat is coming.....

My father in law has a great setup. 3000 watt inverter that runs tv, fan, fridge, boiler and lamp. His Old Ford F-150 truck with 20 gallons that burns 1/4 gallon per hour idling powers it off battery.

3- 5ers and a full genset w/3gal in it excersized every 6 months.

Get about 19 hours for 3 gallons - just over 100 total hours of run time.

Surprises come in many forms here in Nor cal.

UD

Last edited:
My Honda EG2800i ran almost non-stop for 64 hours (oil changes and fill with gas) I used a little less than 10 gallons of gas. 6+ hours per gallon

My old Chinese noisemaker - rated at 3,000 watts will burn through 4 gallons in 12 hours - so 3 hours per gallon.

Honda inverter is really clean power - quieter - but it was worth the extra $$ just in fuel savings

I have 10 five gallon gas cans, plus a few smaller cans - but only keep 5 - 10 gallons on hand -- unless a major storm is heading my way I rarely fill up every can - but get gas a week before or as soon as I think it could hit me. I have 3 generators - one for my daughter's house.

One takes 1.1 gallons, one 2.14 gallons and the other 4 gallons -- I like to have gas cans with each amount needed to fill up each unit premeasured - that way when I lose power I can just dump in the whole can and start it up - you live long enough you learn a few short cuts.

Price of gas usually spikes before and after a storm - so I figure even if I don't lose power / don't need the fuel I still saved a little $$.

I can store 23 gallons in cans, but typically keep only a gallon or 2 on hand for the OPE. But if there is a big storm predicted...
I really keep all those cans for the boat. There's no marina on our lake, and it's 16 mies to the town with expensive gas, 8 miles to the hamlet with really expensive gas.

15 gallons on hand for the generator. Thats about 3 days solid running. Always 15 gallons in winter. I swap it out every 6 months.

Last edited:
I have an empty 1 gallon can for when I use my power washer. If the gas station isn't pumping gas, I'll stay home like everyone else.

Back