How many gas cans do you keep on hand?

With hurricane season here I watched a few youtube videos and it seems like common practice is to keep them filled up and rotate them every few months. When I say rotate I mean they pour it into a gas vehicle to burn it so it can be replaced with new gas. Imo this is a great idea because going to the gas station before a hurricane with 15 gas cans may not be a safe idea, especially if lines start to form for the gas pumps. Opinions?

I keep six 5 gallon cans treated with Chevron Marine stab … I'm starting to refresh cans now …

I have a small 2,800 watt Honda inverter generator (EG2800i) that we use to keep 2 sump pumps, a deep freezer, a refrigerator, and the internet running during our power outages. Our generator runs about 10 hours on 2.1 gallons of fuel so I keep at least 10 gallons of ethanol free fuel on hand and I usually have about 15 gallons of E10 fuel stockpiled in jerrycans as well. With 25 gallons on-hand, we have about 5 days worth of coverage and our longest outage in the past decade was less than three days so I'm comfortable with my stockpile.

Years ago when the safety changes were going into effect the local Walmarts had red plastic ones seriously discounted. They were moving them out before the new cans became mandatory. I have a bad back and the 2.5 gallon ones are much easier to move around than the 5 gallon ones.

Back then I only had my 5000 Watt / 6250 Watt peak Coleman Powermate generator with the 10 HP Tecumseh engine and that thing is thirsty.

We have had one very bad early winter storm when most of the leaves were still on the trees and it brought down many branches. Many were without power, and the snow was deep so the roads were unusable for a little more than 2 days. I waned to be able to store 3 days worth of gasoline, so I bought 22 of the 2.5 gallon cans. I paid less than $6.00 a piece for them.

I still have them and use them, but since I have bought a 2200 Watt Generac inverter that sips gas I do not store anywhere near as much gas as I use to.

Last edited:
(2) 5 gallon Eagle cans and then a single 2.5 gal plastic one for my OPE.

I'd like to keep more but there's an obvious safety hazard of keeping fuel just laying around. I'd be worried about insurance denying a claim if the home caught on fire and it could be traced back to the gasoline storage situation.

I have 10 gallons of E0 ready to go. It will be fine until the end of hurricane season. When/if one starts heading my way, I'll start filling 4 other 5 gallon cans. Like you said, if you wait until you've lost power there may not be any gas to get.

I think I have like 15 or 20 5 gallon cans. I lost count, you can never have too many. I don't keep them filled though because imo that's too much flammable liquid to keep stored. I'm afraid one might leak. Some of you hoard oil, I hoard gas cans. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
2, a 5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon. If I lived in a hurricane area I'd be keeping 20 gallons on hand during the season.

Have a 1 gallon can of 2 stroke for the leaf blower
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Have a 1 gallon can of 2 stroke for the leaf blower
crackmeup2.gif

I'm proud Nick. Bravo lol

i live where there arent any hurricanes but we do get way to many power outages , I usually keep 10 gallons ready

I keep 5 gallons of E0 on hand along with the 7 gallon tank on the generator full with E0 and rotate it out every month or so. If we have an extended power outage (longest we've had in this house is 12 hours so far) I can take gas out of the Jeep or Pickup which are always full. It's gas with ethanol, which I'm sure the carburetor won't like, but I can drain the tank / carb after and refill with E0

I really have no good place to store gas in current house. When Sandy came thru years ago I was ready with generator, sub panel, the whole bit. But I had a good spot far from the house for storage. Can you still siphon out of a car or is that no longer possible?

I keep a 5 gallon and a 6 gallon can full during hurricane season. After the season is over they get dumped in the car.

Back