Drop-in Bedliner vs Line-X Premium

Originally Posted by eljefino
I've had good luck with plastic liners. Doing stuff like chucking firewood in, the plastic takes the hit while the rhino lining gets "micro-dents" as the metal underneath is all that holds its shape.

I've seen 15 year old beds just after the plastic liner's been taken out... they get a little paint chafing but are way better than the ones that had nothing.

Having owned and abused both, this is my take as well. They both look nice and give a clean look, but the drop in plastic liners offer more shock protection.

I have a Weathertech bed mat in my 2017 Ram 1500. It came with it when I bought the truck used. It has a section fastened over the inside face of the tailgate as well. Love this mat. I don't care about scratches and dings on the wheel wells and bed sides. If it ever got horrible to the point I was concerned, I'd have it Line-x'd.

I recall a Line-X job costing me $400 20yrs ago on my 1998 Chevy K1500 short bed. I shudder to think what it would cost today.

Last edited:
Interesting...no votes for a cushioned and carpeted bed liner.

I have a full carpeted bed liner that I LOVE!

Super easy to slide things in and out of, super friendly for the truck, as I can throw logs, rocks, etc. into the bed and no damage...plus it is nice to sit on when I flip down the tailgate.

Pros:
best bed protection from impacts - the stiff foam liner really saves the bed
easy to slide things in and out
nice to sit in (comfy)
looks good
reduces cabin noise

Cons:
takes more time to clean (power washer and stiff broom)
if you get it wet, must let it dry before putting cover back on
if hauling dirt/fine materials, good idea to use a tarp

I haul cords of wood several times a year (I have three fireplaces in my house), and yup...it gets super dirty. Less than an hour of work to clean it out, and it looks good as new...totally worth it, and I know my bed still looks like new when it comes time to sell.

Last edited:
Update:

Ram dealer did not want to order a liner. Due to a recent supplier change, FCA policy is to order 2 liners at a time. The dealer was not confident that they could sell the second one in a timely manner. No other dealer within a few hundred miles of here had one in stock.

So, I went with Line-X. There is a Line-X dealer located very close to my in-law's house. After a 10% discount, it was $615 OTD for Line-X premium (the version with the top-coat). Most other dealers were $75-$150 more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Reactions: JTK
Originally Posted by spasm3
Looks good!

I'm curious as to what those accessory holes are in the 2nd pic at 10:00.

If you are referring to the slot with the plastic plug, that's where the optional LED bed lights go.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by spasm3
Looks good!

I'm curious as to what those accessory holes are in the 2nd pic at 10:00.

If you are referring to the slot with the plastic plug, that's where the optional LED bed lights go.

OK , but there are 3 holes to the left of that, thats what i'm curious about.

Every truck I have owned has had the spray in bed liner. I see how you keep your stuff. The plastic one will drive you insane. Plus it will collect dirt under it.
Clean it once and while, the last truck I had for 10 years with one. Never faded always looked really nice. It is money well spent.

Posted without going through the whole post. Looks great and you will be much happier in the long run.

Last edited:
Agree … but both are slick … a TSC horse mat is pretty good for having some grip or a thick/tough edge to stop things from sliding …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Agree … but both are slick … a TSC horse mat is pretty good for having some grip or a thick/tough edge to stop things from sliding …

40 years ago, the father of my best friend worked at a lumber mill. He snagged an old industrial glue bag and cut his own bed mat and tailgate protector. Suffice it to say, there's always other options out there, you just gotta know where to look!
cool.gif

Pretty happy with Line-X premium. The material is obviously painful to kneel on, but the surface texture strikes a good balance between being able to slide items and preventing items from sliding around. The bedliner continues to remain almost as glossy as day 1.

64378ADC-D004-4651-828F-4C26D5364B26.jpeg

I'm not a fan of drop in liners 99% of the time. Stuff slides around, makes noise, they hold moisture and cause rust, etc. Spray in is great. I actually have a "BedRug" in one of our trucks which I really like. Its not for your work truck but it can handle any type of weekend warrior project that I've thrown at it!

Nice matching white striped purse! 😁
I think it's called a "murse". :)

Looks good. I have a spray-in in my truck, and while it's weathered it matches the truck. ;) If you have any accessory holes that are tapped, take a quick look and see if they got filled, I had to buy a tap and chase a couple out as I wanted to use a couple of those holes for something. No biggie but I had to wait for the tap to come in the mail for that job.

I'm with A_Spruce. I'm in a no rust but sandy area and use the truck like a truck. A plastic liner will protect from dents, but will wear the paint down. A spray in liner will protect the "paint" but will dent and otherwise wear when I'm transporting wine barrels or firewood.. My solution is to just use the naked bed and not worry about it. If i need to sell or trade in the truck in it's early life when bed appearance matters I'll just drop in a new inexpensive bed liner and the bed looks like it's new again.

I'm not a fan of drop in liners 99% of the time. Stuff slides around, makes noise, they hold moisture and cause rust, etc. Spray in is great. I actually have a "BedRug" in one of our trucks which I really like. Its not for your work truck but it can handle any type of weekend warrior project that I've thrown at it!
Thinking about a Bedrug XLT mat. The Line-X liner is painful to kneel on. How well does the Bedrug stand up to oil and grease spills?

Nice matching white striped purse! 😁
Haha it is my fiancee's purse.

I think it's called a "murse". :)

Looks good. I have a spray-in in my truck, and while it's weathered it matches the truck. ;) If you have any accessory holes that are tapped, take a quick look and see if they got filled, I had to buy a tap and chase a couple out as I wanted to use a couple of those holes for something. No biggie but I had to wait for the tap to come in the mail for that job.
I think the hexagonal holes for the utility rail mounts are now circular holes. I had them remove some of the hardware before spraying, but yes, I am aware that this will be an issue later on.

I'm with A_Spruce. I'm in a no rust but sandy area and use the truck like a truck. A plastic liner will protect from dents, but will wear the paint down. A spray in liner will protect the "paint" but will dent and otherwise wear when I'm transporting wine barrels or firewood.. My solution is to just use the naked bed and not worry about it. If i need to sell or trade in the truck in it's early life when bed appearance matters I'll just drop in a new inexpensive bed liner and the bed looks like it's new again.
I saw a demo of a Line-X dealer spraying a soda can with Line-X and demonstrating how hard it would be to dent the soda can. Are the spray-on liners not as dentproof as they advertise?

I'm sure the OP will be happy with the Line-X.

Just note there is another option - a Dual Liner. I went with one in my 2016 F150, and its exactly what I wanted. Plastic sides like a drop in bedliner, and a rubber mat on the floor. Stuff does not move on the mat when driving around, and I can easily pull it out now and then to wash everything out down to the bed floor.

Not for everyone, but I've been happy with mine...

Thinking about a Bedrug XLT mat. The Line-X liner is painful to kneel on. How well does the Bedrug stand up to oil and grease spills?

Haha it is my fiancee's purse.

I think the hexagonal holes for the utility rail mounts are now circular holes. I had them remove some of the hardware before spraying, but yes, I am aware that this will be an issue later on.

I saw a demo of a Line-X dealer spraying a soda can with Line-X and demonstrating how hard it would be to dent the soda can. Are the spray-on liners not as dentproof as they advertise?

My comment wasn't from personal experience, but from what I've heard from those having spray liners. Just the physics tells me that dents will happen, but I defer to those with that type of liner installed. Not sure I would trust a soda can demo from a dealer, but I do agree the Line-X product looks great and if I did lighter hauling I would like the product.

Back