Mental Illness And Substance Abuse Increasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
With 50M+ folks unemployed for the foreseeable future, the stress piles up and people are drinking more and doing more drugs to self medicate.

They might consider suicide as a way out of bad a situation. Baker Acts at hospitals might be increasing due to the pressure and anxiety.

Originally Posted by walterjay
The lockdown has caused tremendous anxiety for a lot of people. A hospital in California has reported that they have seen more deaths from suicide than the virus. They also sadly noted that in the past four weeks they have had more suicides than they normally deal with in an entire year.

If you are unemployed you would think that not wasting $$$$ on booze and drugs would be the smart thing to do. Life is tough always has been and always been . Think of the people serving in the military when at war ? The people in Europe, China and the Philippines during WWII that is bad times. That is tough.

Addiction and mental illness has no boundaries I've noticed since the lockdown my need to hoard oil and search out deals on Bob Is The Oil Guy has increased exponentially.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
This was absolutely predicted by healthcare professionals when the quarantine policies started.

Deaths due to complications going to skyrocket as well. There is still no talk about it but there will be.

Not just stress...many vital procedures are not being done. (Little things like cardiac care, cancer treatment, post-operative care.)

The lockdown has caused tremendous anxiety for a lot of people. A hospital in California has reported that they have seen more deaths from suicide than the virus. They also sadly noted that in the past four weeks they have had more suicides than they normally deal with in an entire year.

My neighbor-facing the loss of his business, house, life savings, and life's work-has crawled into a bottle and is trying to drink himself to death.

Originally Posted by CT8
With 50M+ folks unemployed for the foreseeable future, the stress piles up and people are drinking more and doing more drugs to self medicate.

They might consider suicide as a way out of bad a situation. Baker Acts at hospitals might be increasing due to the pressure and anxiety.

If you are unemployed you would think that not wasting $$$$ on booze and drugs would be the smart thing to do. Life is tough always has been and always been . Think of the people serving in the military when at war ? The people in Europe, China and the Philippines during WWII that is bad times.

If you owe $200,000 and have $20,000 to pay it...pouring $1000 worth of booze down your throat won't make finances worse in any significant way.

If you owe $200,000 and have $20,000 to pay it...pouring $1000 worth of booze down your throat won't make finances worse in any significant way.[/quote] Wasting the money certainly isn't going to help solve anything.

I know a guy with independent automotive repair shop and he mentioned his business is down about 70%.

Customers not wanting to spend any money. The guy got a business loan a few years ago to buy a large shop with 8 bays.

He won't be in business for long after this black swan shutting down this economy for over 2 months.

Originally Posted by Hyperscn64
I still use Valvoline 5 30 High Milage in my 2006 Toyota Corolla. God Bless everyone.

I am using thr Rotella truck suv oil I bought at close out thanks to BITOG members last December + rebates.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
But if he is loaded enough, he will not care as much.

I would guess so but will you still love tomorrow.

Originally Posted by CT8

I don't think he cares. I'm pretty sure he is TRYING to drink himself to death. (It might be the only way he can save his family from financial ruin, because I figure he has insurance.)

Papa Bear said:
AA/NA meetings are closed down right now. I know the newcomers are suffering .....
Addiction doesn't take holidays or quarantines.
There is a lot of ZOOM meetings out there if you look for them.

Yes, thank you for that reminder about the Zoom meetings. I will try them but they are not exactly the same thing.

Originally Posted by CT8

I don't think he cares. I'm pretty sure he is TRYING to drink himself to death. (It might be the only way he can save his family from financial ruin, because I figure he has insurance.)

It's a lot harder to drink yourself to death than most people realize. The body can build up incredible tolerances for alcohol.

Well, one of the books I read leads me to believe that things are only gonna get worse. Without getting political, there is only one way out and I'm not talking about suicide.

You can PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

It's a lot harder to drink yourself to death than most people realize. The body can build up incredible tolerances for alcohol.

From almost nothing (2-3 drinks a week) to at least a quart and a half of liquor a day...he has spent literally every waking moment drunk for at least a month and a half now.

Originally Posted by CT8

If you are unemployed you would think that not wasting $$$$ on booze and drugs would be the smart thing to do. Life is tough always has been and always been . Think of the people serving in the military when at war ? The people in Europe, China and the Philippines during WWII that is bad times. That is tough.

Yeah, poor people and homeless people abuse more substances than anyone else. Steal it. Steal for it. Beg. Borrow. Man, drugs and alcohol are so easy to get when it's literally all you want.

Originally Posted by CT8

Absolutely, but people die for a lot longer than they think, too, and it hurts so much more than they thought it would.

Originally Posted by CT8

If you owe $200,000 and have $20,000 to pay it...pouring $1000 worth of booze down your throat won't make finances worse in any significant way.
Wasting the money certainly isn't going to help solve anything.
[/quote]
We're all going to end up dead anyways. Screw it. It may not be logical, but it does make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back