Anyone NOT have a problem with Jiffy Lube type places?

25 years of going to several different quicky lube places with my company cars, and I drive a tremendous amount, so the visits are frequent.

I can't remember ever having a real problem other than occasionally waiting much longer than I'd like.

I've had far more problems when the dealer did the work.

I've used those places a bit. Most are ok. I stopped going to my local JL when the tech there told me to stop coming back because I didn't buy anything extra. I was happy to oblige him.

If this guy is too old to DIY, I assume he's not working and had the time to use the corner garage. Although, that's no guarantee it will be drama free.

People probably mentioned it but the thing I hate most about these places is you're basically held hostage for fifteen minutes while they're doing the job you actually want while they try and upsell you forty-seven other things you don't actually want (or need). Supremely annoying.

Went to a Valvoline quick change place once. No problem other than costing twice a much as me doing it. It is across the street from my office and I was 2 weeks away from a day off.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
25 years of going to several different quicky lube places with my company cars, and I drive a tremendous amount, so the visits are frequent.

I can't remember ever having a real problem other than occasionally waiting much longer than I'd like.

I've had far more problems when the dealer did the work.

You are right. I've watched both dealer and jiffy do the work. The techs at jiffy are much better than high school kids the dealer hire. Jiffy techs are very knowledgeable.

I've had very bad experience with Kirkland Toyota dealer near me. They lie about lubing the drive shaft EVERY time! Excuses every time even though the paper work shows otherwise ... I just avoid them.

The Jiffy Lube in my town is always very, very busy. I don't hear many negative commets about them on the local Facebook pages.

I have used them a few times with good results.

You get the occasional compliants on BITOG from the shadetree mechanics.

Last edited:
I live in a rural area but I've never had any issues with any of the ones around here. In fact I think they're very attentive and conscientious. Our local GM and Ford dealership service departments are great as well.

Took the work truck to the local tire chain for just an oil change. Only "issue" was it took 6 quarts and the last quart was the most expensive, at $4.

I like the idea of a local, full service garage even though you may pay a little more.
They can get to know your car which is important.
Especially in the longer run.

Good luck.

Ok, I'll come clean.

I'm actually the older guy
smile.gif

Used Jiffy Lube once so far on my new CRV.

Fairly quick service. Stay in the car now during COVID.

The only complaint was they advertise transparency. I ordered Pennzoil Platinum and the tech filled from a unmarked plastic container you may expect from bulk oil.

No reason to think they pulled a fast one, but to see the grade & viscosity of the oil would have been preferred.

Originally Posted by NHBFAN
Ok, I'll come clean.

smile.gif

The only complaint was they advertise transparency. I ordered Pennzoil Platinum and the tech filled from a unmarked plastic container you may expect from bulk oil.

No reason to think they pulled a fast one, but to see the grade & viscosity of the oil would have been preferred.

Asking for a friend who's older and can't change the oil himself.

lol
Is that like Dr. I have a friend who has this ...

If your car sounded smooth after the oil change they used PP
grin2.gif

I have used a local Havoline oil change place 20 years ago. The place was well run and did just fine.

I think in your case with the plastic container... They likely used a 6 gallon bag set up and drain from that into the plastic container... Far less handling of individual quart containers which does save them time too... And they can get a 6 gallon box for a lot cheaper has well. A win win for them. Which I can't blame a business for that.

Valvoline does a good job, at a somewhat high price. Check out their deals on groupon.

Took my wifes car to Jiffy Lube once, had to sit in the waiting room for a while. Noticed they had big warnings posted on the wall "we are not responsible if we strip your drain plug". Not re-assuring.

Oil jockey walks into the waiting room to have me walk with him to pitch me on services I don't want.

On a car as simple as the scion I'll just do it myself.

Ok, I'll come clean.

smile.gif

When I've gone there in the past with my Taurus, it specs 5w20 so I'd actually see them using the bottles of 5w20 instead of grabbing something from the bulk tanks.

Nowadays I just bring my car to a local garage if I don't want to change it, it's $20 for an oil change and tire rotation when I supply the oil and filter. Mine takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil, hate to see what that costs at Jiffy lube. Classic that they don't post their prices.

The Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil change was $104 with tax.

Believe if I would have searched I could have found a $10 to $20 off coupon

Their "technicians" are not particularly well-trained or motivated to do good work. I had a friend brought brought their car into Jiffy Lube a few years back, where the "technician" proceeded to drain the automatic transmission and dump 5 quarts of oil into the engine. Needless to say he did not get very far and hilarity, complete with lawyers, then ensued.

I don't let any chain store touch my vehicles.

A reputable independent repair shop is probably the best option and they not only have ASE certified mechanics but don't mind at all if you bring your own oil & filter(s). Getting there when the doors open is the best time. Whatever they try to upsell is likely needed (likely).

Edit:. If the owner/service adviser acts like you're wasting his time leave immediately. You're a potential long time customer.

Former tech for Jaguar/Range Rover/Cadillac, motorcycle, and several import specialty shops.

Last edited:
Take mine to AutoTire (which is next to Car-X and owned by the same chain, Monro). Working my way through $10 Valvoline Daily Protection coupons and they throw a rotation in with the coupon for free. One of the locations even has a knowledgeable mechanic. I never had trouble at Wally World for that matter, at least they don't seem to be pressured to upsell like Jiffy or the dealers. Good experience at VIOC, but a lot more money.

I agree with the comments that the people assigned to oil changes at a dealership are not any brighter than those working at quick change shops. Often worse.

Last edited:
Theres horror stories about everything. I'm sure often times the truth gets bent a little because the victim making the post is trying to get more attention pushing his agenda. I used to work at a dealership mostly doing diagnostics, I initially started as quick lube so I got to see the [censored] that goes on there. What you have to understand is that changing oil and rotating tires takes minimal skill so the guys doing this kind of work are often minimum wage workers, maybe $1-2 above minimum wage. These guys are typically fresh, with no experience and might eventually move up in the automotive repair world, but remember they have no experience at this point and are often young, or they've been at this for like 7 years and quite frankly are as dumb as a rock. Typically for the latter type of guys drugs and alcohol is involved though it seems like a lot of younger employees smoke weed nowdays. At the end of the day going to a reputable shop of sorts, whether it's a chain or a dealership is probably your best bet, since you can hold them accountable to some degree or another should something go wrong. If you really want the best experience you'll have to commit a lot of time into it. I'd go to a shop where you can easily access the shop bay doors. Maybe go to said shop a few times, and get to know the mechanic(s). It's important to be able to get to the shop bay doors because you can interact with the guy doing the work. Build a relationship with him and just have him do the oil change afterhours or something and pay him cash. That's the only sure way of knowing it'll be done right and you'll be taken care of. I know it's a lot of work, and you said your neighbor is old so he may not be up for it. I only bring it up because from my experience often times older people like interacting with people one on one so it's something that could work, but if he's not the type then he really has no choice but to gamble everytime. His best bet would be to go to the same Jiffy lube of sorts everytime for oil changes that way should something go wrong he can make the case it was them and that he's been going there for say 2 years getting his oil change done at XXXX miles.

They always did a good job when my dad had a company vehicle, but they couldn't do any upselling they followed the rules set by the fleet company about servicing things other than the oil, I don't know if he always went there, but he did quite a few times, and had the oil changed on average every 2 months since he put 100,000mi on that Escape in 2 years and the oil change interval was 7500mi, in that time frame he had no problems with any oil change place breaking anything. The only place I've ever had any problem with was the WalMart Auto Center in the Northside Muncie Indiana Store they forgot to put the oil cap back on a number of peoples cars from what I heard, it happened to my sister once. The one on the South side of Muncie is excellent though, no the fastest but given it's half the price of Jiffy Lube it's not that bad, the manager there used to live up the street from me, I went to highschool with one of the guys that works in there, they're all car people that know what they're doing.

Back