Harbor freight in trouble

Jeff … I see several ratings companies rank the 20V Dewalt at number one, top 3, and top 5.
Lowe's shows them made in USA.
I'm still using CP on air … but this 20v one has my ðŸ‘
34.gif

Another

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1%2f2+cordless+impact+made+in+usa&&view=detail&mid=B3BA00DED7160408E337B3BA00DED7160408E337&&FORM=VDRVRV

Last edited:
I approach HF tools like a suspicious dog...lean in..sniff, sniff...back away.

The long style box wrench set I bought there was absolute trash.
You could swing the tool through 20º (or more) of arc and not touch the fastener.
Total absence of QC. I suppose you could say the mold got completely full.

In the case of the ETorx wrenches pictured.....I believe the Torx and ETorx allow for sloppy fit tooling.

Originally Posted by E365
I just used my ($20?) Harbor Freight box-end Torx Wrench set.

The only American made equivalent I can find is SnapOn for $258 for a set. Honestly what's a consumer supposed to do? $52 for a simple, box-end wrench?!

[Linked Image]

https://shop.snapon.com/product/TOR...RX-Double-Box-Wrench-Set-(E5-E20)/ETX705

Not Snap on, Hazet or other premium brand but the ones from VIM and Genius are a decent fit and quality is not bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Vim-Tools-WT...h&qid=1585843526&s=hi&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Tools-Piece-Wrench-TX-E04/dp/B01COXP5XC

Originally Posted by 4WD
Jeff … I see several ratings companies rank the 20V Dewalt at number one, top 3, and top 5.
34.gif

Another

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1%2f2+cordless+impact+made+in+usa&&view=detail&mid=B3BA00DED7160408E337B3BA00DED7160408E337&&FORM=VDRVRV

Thanks 4WD.
I am looking for a cordless 3/8" ratchet.
From what I have read, the Milwaukee Fuel is a good choice at about $250 for the kit.
Your thoughts?

Yeah, seems to be popular … I only have corded tools from them … couple since the 80's …

I like millywalky. I have many denaro invested.
Jeff when is your tesla truck going to be delivered?

Originally Posted by P10crew
I like millywalky. I have many denaro invested.
Jeff when is your tesla truck going to be delivered?

Our trusty Tundra is too perfect and the Tesla Truck is waaaay back ordered, more than a year.
Plus, I am afraid to use a new truck like a truck, so they don't work for me. A truck is a tool and every tool is a hammer.
However, I gave my old Vette to my BIL, so I am considering the Roadster.
0 to 60 in 1.8 seconds baby! Too many Prancing Horses around here.

But first I have family that needs to go to college.
The Model 3 is plenty of Tesla for us right now. They are the new Corolla, doncha know.
I hope this answers your question.
When are you getting yours?

Here's my old, mostly original, numbers matching, wasted $$ car.
Original 427/30 L36, Wide Ratio 4 speed, 3:36 Plane Jane Roadster.
It does have AM-FM Stereo radio which was pretty rare in 1968.
The high compression iron headded BB with Hedman Ceramic Headers and turbos out the back is pure music to my ears.
I have a set of Wheel Vintiques 16x8 Chrome Ralleys with 255/50/16 Comp TA's that make is sit lower... These are the stock 15x7 Ralleys which were a 1 year only wheel.

68 side.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
ChinaMart and HF won't be the only ones. Lots and lots of construction materials (nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc) are made in China and aren't even made here anymore. This should be a lesson that we need to keep manufacturing here.

I work at a Nuke Plant and all piping valves must meet very stringent requirements. Time from order to delivery is 12 months or more because of the multiple inspections and checks at each step in fabrication/assembly! All iron bodies for the large valves, 8-inches and larger, seem to be cast in China or India. Apparently there are no US Foundries remaining to do this work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365
I just used my ($20?) Harbor Freight box-end Torx Wrench set.

The only American made equivalent I can find is SnapOn for $258 for a set. Honestly what's a consumer supposed to do? $52 for a simple, box-end wrench?!

[Linked Image]

https://shop.snapon.com/product/TOR...RX-Double-Box-Wrench-Set-(E5-E20)/ETX705

Those look just like my Gearwrench brand set of Torx Wrenches. Not sure of their national origin.

Well I went in my local store again tonight looking for this green side cabinet for a project and the dude that waited on me looked up inventory and said the last green one that came in the store was sold on Feb 25.
Not looking good.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by 4WD
34.gif

Thanks 4WD.

I am looking for a cordless 3/8" ratchet.
From what I have read, the Milwaukee Fuel is a good choice at about $250 for the kit.
Your thoughts?

Snap-on & Milwaukee are the only ones making quality cordless ratchets, Milwaukee hand down....Especially for the price difference!!!

Don't torque on the Milwaukee battery! I was so used to doing that on the Snap-on ones without issue that I had to retrain myself not to on the Milwaukee.

CLine are you breaking batteries or cases. My son is buying the m12 ratchets. They frigging love them but maybe I should warn them of this.

I haven't broken anything yet, But it lost contact & didn't work 'til I took the battery out & reseated it. Other than that.....I love mine!!! These are the extended reach ones, Not sure if that makes a difference?

Originally Posted by MI_Roger
ChinaMart and HF won't be the only ones. Lots and lots of construction materials (nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc) are made in China and aren't even made here anymore. This should be a lesson that we need to keep manufacturing here.

I work at a Nuke Plant and all piping valves must meet very stringent requirements. Time from order to delivery is 12 months or more because of the multiple inspections and checks at each step in fabrication/assembly! All iron bodies for the large valves, 8-inches and larger, seem to be cast in China or India. Apparently there are no US Foundries remaining to do this work.

Same valve situation in my line of work (air sep and hyrdo chem). Lots of made in China stamping, even from 30-40yrs ago. Some of our valves, piping and vessels run in liquid hydrogen temps in the -250degC range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MI_Roger

Almost all of the parts for our nuclear refurbishment projects here in Ontario are being made in Ontario. Tons of companies are getting massive amounts of business from this.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Don't torque on the Milwaukee battery! I was so used to doing that on the Snap-on ones without issue that I had to retrain myself not to on the Milwaukee.

I was using my Milwaukee (non-Fuel edition) to remove a transmission and was torquing pretty hard when the battery flew out. I immediately acknowledged that what I was doing was pretty stupid. At first I thought I had broken the whole unit in half. Thankfully I popped the battery back in and everything is fine.

People love to trash Harbor Freight but I guess they don't realize that Milwuakee, Stanley, Irwin, most the other "good" brands have outsourced to the lowest bidder a long time ago.

You get a tool with a familiar name but often it's made on the same (or very similar) assembly line as HF's stuff. I've tried both and I've come to the conclusion most HF tools work just fine and no worse for what I use them for, than the name brands. The exception being the really high dollar stuff like Snap On, but I can't afford that stuff anyways, and it's unnecessary as I don't earn a living using these tools.

Years ago HF was synonymous with cheap Chinese junk but in my experience the quality has improved tremendously. They still sell plenty of garbage but I've learned what to avoid, generally their most inexpensive lowest-tiered lines.

I preordered one of their Vulcan multiprocess welders because they didn't have it in stock. Salesperson said it should be on their next truck— I waited three weeks and went back for a refund because nothing ever showed. So I guess their supply chain really is a mess. I drove to another store further away and picked it up same day. I'm making a conscious effort to get anything I need now because supply chains all around the world are coming apart at the seams because of this virus.

Back