Harbor Freight craziness

Was at Harbor freight just killing some time and I see a young guy coming across the parking lot, pushing a shopping cart with a pretty good sized generator still in the box. He wheels into the store and commences to explain to the manager he needs to return it for a reason I didn't quite hear. Everything seem hunky dory but things changed when the manager said we can't take it back with the tank full of fuel. Customer strongly disagreed and last thing I heard was "well, I'll be back". Yikes. Proceeds to parking lot with his generator. Gets near his new looking Silverado, flips generator over and proceeds to dump I'm guessing 2 gallons of gas on the asphalt. I'm parked across the aisle from him. I drop my stuff at register and high tail it out of there. That was all the crazy I needed to see.

Was at Harbor freight just killing some time and I see a young guy coming across the parking lot, pushing a shopping cart with a pretty good sized generator still in the box. He wheels into the store and commences to explain to the manager he needs to return it for a reason I didn't quite hear. Everything seem hunky dory but things changed when the manager said we can't take it back with the tank full of fuel. Customer strongly disagreed and last thing I heard was "well, I'll be back". Yikes. Proceeds to parking lot with his generator. Gets near his new looking Silverado, flips generator over and proceeds to dump I'm guessing 2 gallons of gas on the asphalt. I'm parked across the aisle from him. I drop my stuff at register and high tail it out of there. That was all the crazy I needed to see.
Did you break a heel off your pumps while running away?
How is it "still in the box" but has 2 gallons of gas in it...is "good sized" yet fits in a shopping cart? You admitted to overhearing half the conversation.

As a former firefighter, that would really piss me off. Wouldn’t take much for someone tossing a cigarette butt before entering the store. The flashpoint of gasoline is one of the lowest on the planet. Think it’s a one in a million possibility? Anyone who owns a firearm or deals with gasoline, knows that Murphy’s Law loves these two things’. 🔥

Last edited:
I ran into that when returning an air compressor. She mentioned she can’t take it back with oil in the compressor. I asked why and she said something about hazmat shipping. “But you shipped it to me with the same oil in the box…. I moved it from a flimsy plastic bottle to a big heavy metal casing?” She slowly pulled the receipt from me and scanned it without breaking eye contact. Truly, I was grateful, and would have gladly gone home and sucked it out with the mityvac if it was a thing.

those folks probably get kicked around daily. Hate that.

Back