Mobil one oil filter cut open. Disappointed.

Mobil may not do anything since the filter was cut open ... they can always say it was damaged by cutting the filter open. But it surely can't hurt to contact them to see what they say.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Is that new stock or old stock? Someone here mentioned Mobil-1 filters have changed suppliers and many have Ecore cages.

All I could tell you is it was bought in January. Is there a way to tell?

Our Governor has ordered all non-essential workers to stay home and remain indoors AMAP. So I am avoiding large crowds at our Walmart, my favorite place to have a peek at new Mobil-1 filters.
The main roads here now look like Sunday morning at 6:00AM...... hardly no one moving about. It could be May b/4 I inspect new Mobil-1 filters there.

Yeah, I'm from Michigan. Just moved from New York in the knick of time.

Data point of 1.

M1 filters don't retain oil when my 2009 F150 5.4L is parked overnight. This leads to a few seconds of start up clatter.

The use of a Motorcraft filter solves the problem.

I have 140,000 miles and I've run through this situation many times, as the local auto parts store has irresistible M1 oil change deals that include a free M1 filter. Every time I get the same result.

What did all this?:

E8833695-4BFA-4DB0-8393-61B77109BEE0.png

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why didn't you just use a $5 Honda filter?

^^This.

Or a Fram TG Honda oem clone.

Yikes looking at that mess, I think its time I swap out my M1 filter on the burban
crazy.gif

Probably bout time anyways since It's been on my truck since last July when I purchased it.

Dave

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by atikovi
Why didn't you just use a $5 Honda filter?

^^This.

*1 From a Honda dealer

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
What did all this?:

Agree
It looks like the ADBV was folded over (see white) and began the cut with a dull box-cutter knife - then ripped by hand.

Sometimes I dislike being Intuitive and exposing what might be the truth. Where did it happen?...... not seeing nothing there.

Originally Posted by 4WD
What did all this?:

Agree
It looks like the ADBV was folded over (see white) and began the cut with a dull box-cutter knife - then ripped by hand.

Sometimes I dislike being Intuitive and exposing what might be the truth. Where did it happen?...... not seeing nothing there.

I enjoy cutting open filter filters and sharing to see what input others have. This did not happen as I cut the filter open and was not done intentionally. All I have is my word to prove that. I am pinching it together to show the tear as stated in a comment before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Does the ADBV really matter on this application since the filter is mounted vertically?

Can't say for sure to be honest. All I know is I noticed it dry start multiple times asked my mom about it because it was her vehicle and she said it's been doing that since I changed her oil.

Last edited:
The adbv is a Fram design, sits in the end cap, probably from the same supplier. Since no other parts are shown it looks like one of those Fram-pions. It doesn't matter, any adbv can get damaged at the factory and since they make thousands per day sometimes a bad one goes in a filter. No different than a rattling Fram filter here and there etc. Wouldn't stop me from buying an M1 filter any more than an Ultra.

Does the ADBV really matter on this application since the filter is mounted vertically?

Can't say for sure to be honest. All I know is I noticed it dry start multiple times asked my mom about it because it was her vehicle and she said it's been doing that since I changed her oil.

Yes. Does water go down your Kitchen sink drain?

That has a trap.

Filter be the same.

Jeepers!

Now if the filter was level with the oil sump level, then no drainback. - remember those days?

BIG filters and NO ADBV Vertical filter nestled next to the oil pan and .... NO STARTUP NOISE.

of course no silly six to eight feet long timing chains and garbage design VVT assemblies. either

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
What did all this?:

I think a chunk of the motor went through
smile.gif

Actually it looks like it was grabbed with pliers and torn.

I'm going to rack this up as a hit job without seeing the autopsy video.

Last edited:

Yes, it's been talked about probably 100 times or more over the last 5 years. Even a vertically mounted oil filter with base up will typically need an ADBV to prevent all the oil above the filter from draining down and out of the galleries.

Your example of the engine having 'dry start' rattles shows this to be true in your case.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yes, it's been talked about probably 100 times or more over the last 5 years. Even a vertically mounted oil filter with base up will typically need an ADBV to prevent all the oil above the filter from draining down and out of the galleries.

Your example of the engine having 'dry start' rattles shows this to be true in your case.

Sure enough. I suppose I wasn't thinking.

I'm currently running M1 filters in my Pentastar. The first one had over 7k on it and came out in excellent shape, but I noticed something interesting. Awhile back, in taking apart a Fram Ultra for this application (cartridge filter), I pointed out that the media was VERY strong and was backed by a grid of what appeared to be a super strong polymer, nylon, or monofilament material. It took vice grips to tear it apart, along with a surprising amount of muscle effort. When I shared this either here or on Jeep forums, someone said the M1 cartridge filter would have metal backing on the pleats. Well, I just took apart that first M1 filter with 7k+ on it and while it was fine, and did its job well, the pleats were not backed by metal, polymer, or anything. They were just the filter material, and they came apart relatively easily.

I've not had an M1 with a known problem, but for my application, it is not in the same league as the Fram Ultra. Not even close.

I'm currently running M1 filters in my Pentastar. The first one had over 7k on it and came out in excellent shape, but I noticed something interesting. Awhile back, in taking apart a Fram Ultra for this application (cartridge filter), I pointed out that the media was VERY strong and was backed by a grid of what appeared to be a super strong polymer, nylon, or monofilament material. It took vice grips to tear it apart, along with a surprising amount of muscle effort. When I shared this either here or on Jeep forums, someone said the M1 cartridge filter would have metal backing on the pleats. Well, I just took apart that first M1 filter with 7k+ on it and while it was fine, and did its job well, the pleats were not backed by metal, polymer, or anything. They were just the filter material, and they came apart relatively easily.

I've not had an M1 with a known problem, but for my application, it is not in the same league as the Fram Ultra. Not even close.
Just a little bit better than the FRAM ULTRA, right?

I guess if you love the M1 filter that much, you can interpret it that way.

i'll be running 11 more M1 filters because I got them for $4 each on clearance at Walmart. But I'd be running the Fram if I didn't have the stash.
I "LIKE" the M1 oil filter. But, I prefer the MC FL-400S. There's one on my shelf for my next OCI next year.

Back