Mobil 1 High Mileage

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by 4WD
Not sure where you live as for air temps …
but if you wanted to come up a bit on HTHS ? The M1 HM 10w30 is where the beef is

if you want beef they have beef https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...or-oils/mobil-10w-40-high-viscosity-oils

VML is still the daddy though

I'm still under warranty until 125k. So I'll stick with the recommended 5/30. But I can certainly see the benefit of 10/40 in a warm environment and an older engine. There are some people on Tacoma World that swear by M1 0/40.

The only negative info I can find on M1 HM is from a Corvette forum where some guy says the high zinc and phosphorus content in HM oil can kill cats. But that thread was from several years ago. Others say that nonsense.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Hogwash
The only negative info I can find on M1 HM is from a Corvette forum where some guy says the high zinc and phosphorus content in HM oil can kill cats. But that thread was from several years ago. Others say that nonsense.

Thoughts?

First off your vehicle would have to be burning oil for the ZDDP to harm the cat and would be true about any oil that was high in ZDDP.

Thoughts?

My daughter will kill me, should I attempt killing her four cats.
Long live Tall Zinc and Lunchbox Phos.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

Thoughts?

First off your vehicle would have to be burning oil for the ZDDP to harm the cat and would be true about any oil that was high in ZDDP.

Good point

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Thoughts?

My daughter will kill me, should I attempt killing her four cats.
Long live Tall Zinc and Lunchbox Phos.

lol.gif

I've used M1 HM 5w-30 for two oil changes before my current fill of Shell. It worked fine for me and I'm sure it will work fine for you.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
We dont use any HM oils, M1 recommends to use 5w-50 in older engines with 300-500k km. I think its marketing with the HM oils when a euro oil will work better. I would use M1 0w-40 in that engine or the m1 5w-30 esp.

That's probably bad info for this OPs vehicles.

It's interesting that M1 HM is not Dexos approved. Most other M1 oils are. Wonder why?

It's interesting that M1 HM is not Dexos approved. Most other M1 oils are. Wonder why?

What HM oils that you found are Dexos 1 Gen 2?

What HM oils that you found are Dexos 1 Gen 2?

I was just researching 5w30 HM oils and most are blends. Valvoline Full Synthetic HM and Castrol Edge HM are Dexos. There may be more but I only look at wally and amazon.

Last edited:
Thanks Duffy.
That shows other oil brand options are there in HM / Dexos 1 Gen 2.
Why Mobil-1 HM doesn;t meet the spec? Hogwash could ask Mobil-Exxon Inc. by email, text, phone or letter.

The "75,000 mile" HM thing was a happy medium in a Valvoline debate on the product on the 90's. Some wanted high mileage to be 50K, others said cars were already lasting longer past 100K so they split the difference...

I like HM oil (especially Mobil 1's because of the higher AN ester content) and use it, but the mileage thing is arbitrary and silly. If your seals are not weeping or leaking, I wouldn't use M1 regular HM because it is not a fuel conserving oil apparently; you're better off using a regular syn or one like Pennzoil or MaxLife or M1 EPHM because they are fuel conserving. However, I will swear by Mobil 1 shutting down leaks well because it sealed my father's car up withing a few miles...

Possibly because it is not "resource conserving" and does not have the API starburst on the label...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Possibly because it is not "resource conserving" and does not have the API starburst on the label...

According to things I've read, some say it's because it doesn't meet the requirements for cat protection....back too the high zinc and phosphorus levels. However, that info was from a couple of different forums that were both a few years old

Thanks Duffy.
That shows other oil brand options are there in HM / Dexos 1 Gen 2.
Why Mobil-1 HM doesn;t meet the spec? Hogwash could ask Mobil-Exxon Inc. by email, text, phone or letter.

I may do that, actually. I'll report back with the info

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

According to things I've read, some say it's because it doesn't meet the requirements for cat protection....back too the high zinc and phosphorus levels. However, that info was from a couple of different forums that were both a few years old

M1 HM doesn't have any higher zddp than any other SN rated oils. It's been WAY watered down from the previous formula. My uoa with M1 10W40 shows that,

One possibility is that since there are specific elastomer tests for dexos licensing it could be that it exceeds the allowed values for one or more of them. It may meet the requirements for SN PLUS but exceed those for dexos 1 Gen 2.

Back