Any reason why I can't use the same funnel for pouring in ATF & motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many fit for purpose funnels … to me you get what is perfect for each job, store them properly, they last for many years … just don't like spills

Here is something else to put your mind at ease about using the same funnel for atf and engine oil... people have used atf to clean out a sludged up engine.

oh the humanity , seperate funnels are a must for bitog ocd
wink.gif
lol

Some people used to use transmission fluid to clean their engine. As to whether that is a good idea is a different story but a couple drops won't kill you. I'd just give it a good wipe and rest easy however you can get long funnels for like $2 so just get one for each at some point.

Wouldn't have posted had I read deafbrad already did... that's what I get for reading and posting four hours apart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by anderson
oh the humanity , seperate funnels are a must for bitog ocd

I have 3-4 funnels, if I'm not mistaken but really only use two of them. It just so happens that one (rectangular-shaped with a handle and threaded outlet that you can thread on an extension) is for oil and the other is for ATF. The ATF one is 12-16" long with a fairly small outlet. You need this length on two of our Hondas and it's handy on the Fusion for reaching and getting in between all the crap that's in the way of the fill port. So, no OCD here (at least in this case), it's where functionality takes precedence !
smile.gif

It is fine. You are not talking about something like sharing toxic chemical and food. 2 kinds of similar chemical will be fine as long as you wipe clean first.

Originally Posted by dadto2
Originally Posted by tcp71
I wipe and go. Toilets, funnels, whatever...
lol.gif

Dude... Wipe and go for funnels, go then wipe for toilets.
33.gif

Toilet is just a glorified funnel when you think about it.

Originally Posted by Donald
My funnel goes in the dishwasher after each use. When clean it goes into a baggie and back in the safe.

Good God!?!?!?!?! Is it gold plated????
banana2.gif

I do it all the time but I am more worried about the dust that collects on the funnel when sitting in the garage so I always wipe it down before use, inside and out. Usually with a greasy rag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
Donald said:
Good God!?!?!?!?! Is it gold plated????
banana2.gif

At least his dishwasher will remain rust and corrosion free, but you might have to stomach motor oil flavored plates and utensils...after they are done being washed.

well... i guess im gong to be the odd-ball here..
I have one dedicated funnel for the transfer of used oil from the pan back into containers for disposal.

1 funnel for engine oil - it has one of those expandable snaky tubes... never going to get that clean if it gets contaminated.
1 extra long funnel for ATF..

woe-woe is me..
lol
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back