Any reason why I can't use the same funnel for pouring in ATF & motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never would have asked this, but my Highlander's oil cap is several inches down from open access. I have an ATF funnel that is more than long enough to reach. Since both are oil, if I use a scott towel to wipe up most of the residue on the funnel after any use, there wouldn't be any harm in using that funnel to pour in oil, would there? I would love to hear a contrary opinion if it is backed up by fact, but from my perspective, it would be the same as pouring in a single drop of motor oil into the ATF, which would hardly be noticeable.

wipe it out and dont worry about it

3 drops of atf in over a gallon of motor oil = nothing

I wipe and go. Toilets, funnels, whatever...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by tcp71
lol.gif

You win the internet today....

I do it all the time. Just wipe it out, or don't shouldn't really matter.

I always give mine a good shot of brake cleaner first to get the left overs and dust out of it. It's dry before you start pouring into it.

Minimal contamination if any if you wipe it after each use.
I do have separate funnel for things though (clean engine oil for cars and trucks, clean oil for motorcycles, ATF, brake fluid, and a filter for dirty oil/atf to get it into big jugs).
I also have a funnel under the hood of my truck with a rag stuck in it that I use when I need to top off when away from home, and I know that thing is not the cleanest thing out there.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Minimal contamination if any if you wipe it after each use. ...
... and store it protected from dust.

Originally Posted by tcp71
lol.gif

Dude... Wipe and go for funnels, go then wipe for toilets.
33.gif

Sounds good then. I have enough funnels already, didn't see a reason to buy another one if I didn't have to. Thanks for the feedback.

Back in 2001 I did a drain and fill on my ‘81 Camaro's transmission (TH400), and then turned around and did an oil change the same day, reusing the same funnel to pour the oils into their respective receptacles without cleaning the previously poured product out of the funnel first. The car's engine and transmission are still working to this day.

However, exactly 1 month after that day in which I reused the funnel, my grandmother passed away under suspicious circumstances. I mean, she was in her 80s, why would she a) go skydiving at night, and b) be allowed to pick her own chute??

Anyway, my questions never got satisfactory answers, and a cloud of suspicion hangs over her death as a result...uh-oh, gotta go, my court-ordered therapist is here for our mandatory weekly session. I swear I don't know why they make me do this...so what if my neighbors dog used to tell me to do things? That dog ran off 2 years ago!!

Originally Posted by willbur
I gotta say.... some of the questions on this forum are beyond belief. LOL

Have to admit, I was fully expecting multiple replies screaming, "Noooooooo, don't do it !!! You'll contaminate it and it will immediately destroy the engine/transmission !!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back