Alternative to Unaffordable New SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Fitz98, you don't seem to have much flexibility on vehicles, you and wife like what you have and have reasons for not owning other things. She likes the full size SUV and you'd rather drive a Burb than a van. Reliability is the thing, you're getting tired of constantly fixing your fleet.
The answer is a cargo van that can tow the boat, but they don't ride nice enough. OP would rather mod the interior of a $50k+ burb and still not be able to haul sheet goods easily.

You can enclose the cockpit of a cargo van easily if you have any carpentry skill at all. You can get a GM G series van that can tow the boat for much less than a comparable burb. If you want ride quality get a half ton, that will still easily pull the boat.

I hate the way vans handle, and I would certainly not like to fix them when they break. I also have very fond memories of GM truck SUVs from when I was a kid. However, a work vehicle is a work vehicle. You drive it to work to make money to spend on a vehicle you enjoy driving or looking at. Fuel efficiency and reliability are more important than anything else.

A minivan would also be perfect but IDK what they can tow. V6 power!

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
How big is this boat? How much does it weigh?

$45,000 for 84 months at 2.9% interest is $593 a month. The cheapest Yukon XL at the big local dealer here is $56,369. You are in the ballpark with a reasonable down payment and trading in the Sentra and Suburban. I am not sure what your credit looks like with the repo so the rates may vary. They are doing 0% for 60 months which probably doesn't work with your payment amount.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/Vehic...Edition-Collinsville-IL/3502774583#close

84 months to pay on a vehicle is obscene. That's the nicest way I can put it.
But then it allows us to live beyond our means.
At 12,000 miles a year it's at 84,000 miles-when paid for. That's low miles on BITOG. The issue with long-term finance is not to wear out the vehicle before it's paid for. If you drive the national average on miles-Sorry...I don't see a problem here.

But the above two comments is the prevailing culture on this forum.

Last edited:
Why does the wife need a giant car? To "feel safe"? Sorry but that's just kind of nonsense.

Get rid of the Expedition and put her in a Camry. A 17' Camry with 50k miles is about $15k, or $300 a month.

Tow the boat with the Suburban. Drive ahead of the wife and have her meet you at the lake in the Camry. By the time she gets there, you've got the boat unloaded and ready to go.

This is only an opinion. Put 600 a month in a savings for breakdowns or something else. 7200 a year then you can see if you can swing it without much difficulty.

This is like those threads that start with "I need a work truck, why are they so expensive" that end with "and 4 doors for the kids, and 4x4 because it snows, and a diesel because, well, you know..."

OP is just starting to notice that the economy is based on shortages, where not everyone can have everything, and he either needs to improve his skills and work on his fleet or make more money to hire it out or buy above his current pay grade. He seems as selfish as his wife, for non-negotiables like the fishing boat to go with her high-above-traffic saddle.

I say wait for the inevitable economic slowdown and/or gas crunch-- they'll be giving these away, then.

Originally Posted by eljefino
He seems as selfish as his wife, for non-negotiables like the fishing boat to go with her high-above-traffic saddle.
C'mon bruh, OP is deluded but let the man have his fishing boat to enjoy with his wife. The saddle....his saddle is also pretty high, but not cargo van high.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Why does the wife need a giant car? To "feel safe"? Sorry but that's just kind of nonsense.

Get rid of the Expedition and put her in a Camry. A 17' Camry with 50k miles is about $15k, or $300 a month.

Tow the boat with the Suburban. Drive ahead of the wife and have her meet you at the lake in the Camry. By the time she gets there, you've got the boat unloaded and ready to go.
Buying a car that OP or his wife don't want or need because it's a Toyota Camry and Nick1994 worships Toyota Camrys is not a good strategy for anyone not named Nick1994. We are discussing a work vehicle for OP.

VW > Toyota!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
How big is this boat? How much does it weigh?

$45,000 for 84 months at 2.9% interest is $593 a month. The cheapest Yukon XL at the big local dealer here is $56,369. You are in the ballpark with a reasonable down payment and trading in the Sentra and Suburban. I am not sure what your credit looks like with the repo so the rates may vary. They are doing 0% for 60 months which probably doesn't work with your payment amount.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/Vehic...Edition-Collinsville-IL/3502774583#close

84 months to pay on a vehicle is obscene. That's the nicest way I can put it.
At 12,000 miles a year it's at 84,000 miles-when paid for. That's low miles on BITOG. The issue with long-term finance is not to wear out the vehicle before it's paid for. If you drive the national average on miles-Sorry...I don't see a problem here.

It probably is financial wisdom

A few have said it...600.00 per month for maintenance should be plenty to keep them all in tip-top shape and if down time becomes an issue, let someone else do the work.
I may surrender the new vehicle idea, but you have all given me plenty to think about. Thanks for the feedback. I am fine with what I have, they look and ride fine and works for our lifestyle.
Maybe keep my eyes peeled for a low mileage steal on something down the road.
Expedition needs rear axle seal and maybe a rear main seal (been chasing a small oil leak). These are 2 things I will not try to tackle on my own, so that is about 1200.00, rear main is about 900 and I can do that later, it is a small leak. Combined with the 1200.00 I put in the Suburban last month, that's 2400.00. This is what makes me think about new or newer, but sometimes they give me several months without the need for anything so it all averages out to be cheaper than 1 new in the end.

Originally Posted by Fitz98
My repo was 10 years ago and my credit has improved greatly, but I want to keep it that way.
The 500-600 is what I would consider doable, but not budgeted, but when I consider an average cost of 200-300.00/ month for maintenance that is a little incentive.
My Suburban is setup for working out of. Removed back seats and built a system to stack all my work stuff in layers. I do a lot of driving, so I like the comfort of an SUV, vs all the noise and rattling of a van. The van makes more sense, but I hate them for driving, but that's just me. My neighbor has a new Ford hightop van. Rides great, but noisy and not very comfortable in the long ride and the radio is not even listenable. I am being picky, but I know what I like.
I can't use it for the boat, mostly because it only has 2 seats now and it is not practical for unloading and putting the seats back every time I want to hook up the boat.
However, some suggestions got me thinking. Maybe a smaller import type SUV could work and I will keep the Expedition for towing and the backup vehicle. I wouldn't get much for it to sell or trade.
Insurance and registration is not an issue.

I'm the opposite-I used a Suburban for a work vehicle for 3-4 months, and really couldn't get enough into it, the roof line wasn't high enough, and there wasn't an abundance of room with the 3rd row out & 2nd row folded down. An extended 3500 Express or Savana, with all the rear sears pulled except the forward one, would have far more room for stuff. I actually just bought a 2011 12 passenger Express 3500 with the 6.0, it's going to replace the aging Sierra in my sig, and hopefully the Ram as well, and I'm planning on it handling the towing duties (although the gas bill is going to be $$). Actually considered a new one, until I realized it was going to be $35K+ (ouch)!

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CT8

It's financial advice whether asked for or not. That's the BITOG way.

It's only unaffordable because the OP doesn't have the money. And based on a previous answer of having a repo 10 years ago and the mention of a monthly payment, I'm going to guess the OP doesn't have much in savings. Social security is only designed to give you 40% of what you need in retirement. You would normally need to save 10-15% of your income in your 20's to afford retirement. If you're beyond that, you would need to save a much higher amount.

Basically OP is trying to keep up with the Jones and the non negotiable position of the boat and wanting a new vehicle. Can't really afford it and is trying to find ways to do so. The real answer is you can't. And OP would be better off financially getting rid of the boat and one vehicle. Only real answer to make something more affordable is to make more money.

Get rid of the Expedition and put her in a Camry.

Holy sexist attitude there young unmarried fella. One of the rules of a happy marriage is LET WIFE PICK OWN CAR.

Originally Posted by eljefino
He seems as selfish as his wife, for non-negotiables like the fishing boat to go with her high-above-traffic saddle. .

Nice. Disrespect a man and his wife. Bet you don't have the stones to say that to his face.

Bunch of garbage.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CT8

It's financial advice whether asked for or not. That's the BITOG way.

It's only unaffordable because the OP doesn't have the money. And based on a previous answer of having a repo 10 years ago and the mention of a monthly payment, I'm going to guess the OP doesn't have much in savings. Social security is only designed to give you 40% of what you need in retirement. You would normally need to save 10-15% of your income in your 20's to afford retirement. If you're beyond that, you would need to save a much higher amount.

Basically OP is trying to keep up with the Jones and the non negotiable position of the boat and wanting a new vehicle. Can't really afford it and is trying to find ways to do so. The real answer is you can't. And OP would be better off financially getting rid of the boat and one vehicle. Only real answer to make something more affordable is to make more money.

Having been "in the bottom of the hole" I had to learn to live without the luxuries in order to afford the necessities. Its just the way it works. Someone needs to put priorities before luxuries until one can afford them.

If you must have an SUV look at the Kia Teluride. they start at $31,600. 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. V-6 with good tow capacity. If you finance 30K your payments will be about $540.00 for 60 months. About $450 for 72 months. You won't have to worry about repairs for a long time. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Get rid of the Expedition and put her in a Camry.

Holy sexist attitude there young unmarried fella. One of the rules of a happy marriage is LET WIFE PICK OWN CAR.

Agree, but within reason. My wife wants a new loaded Escalade, but she loves her Grand Caravan.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

"You have to [censored] with the cock you got" as AVE would say. Buying a car that OP or his wife don't want or need because it's a Toyota Camry and Nick1994 worships Toyota Camrys is not a good strategy for anyone not named Nick1994. We are discussing a work vehicle for OP.

VW > Toyota!
crackmeup2.gif
I worship Toyota Camrys? Are you assuming that because I have one? I think the only time I suggested a Camry on this site is to supton.

Oh yes, my mighty beautiful Camry. Went out to take this picture for you of this stallion. Noticed the trunk had rainwater in it while I was out there and drilled a hole in it to drain.

[Linked Image]

Why buy new? That's a sucker deal...

Sell the Expi or the Burb, and buy a 4-5 year old Escalade. They can be had all day with average miles for under $20k. Put $3-5k down and you'll have sub-$400 payments on a 60 month loan. Nice new truck, familiar mechanical, and you can fix it yourself. Use the spare $2-300 a month to put into a slush fund for repairs. Problem solved.

That Camry is the pinnacle of automotive excellence!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Why buy new? That's a sucker deal...

Sell the Expi or the Burb, and buy a 4-5 year old Escalade. They can be had all day with average miles for under $20k. Put $3-5k down and you'll have sub-$400 payments on a 60 month loan. Nice new truck, familiar mechanical, and you can fix it yourself. Use the spare $2-300 a month to put into a slush fund for repairs. Problem solved.

You must have never bought a new truck-then traded for another (new) truck. You would be VERY SURPRISED at the cost per month. (Hint-it's very low).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back