Selling Vehicle CL / FB asking price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Acura MDX Tech with 200k miles on it running/drives really well. It has rust holes in body that will prevent passing inspection and needs exhaust work to pass NH state inspection.

According to Edmunds.com they state use average condition($1650) and negate repair costs which is really zero.

1) would you bother trying selling?
2) what asking price should I place on vehicle.

The Auto Salvage place will offer $429 for it.

If you were gonna sell it whole for parts I'd ask $800-1000, but would take first $600 in the door. You might get a few hundred more by parting it out yourself, espcially if the seats, wheels and tires are in good shape, but it is probably not worth the hassle.

New Hampshire and all of the bordering states require safety inspections so you're going to have a hard time selling it for anything other than parts. I would probably just take the money from the auto salvage.

Originally Posted by madRiver
It has rust holes in body that will prevent passing inspection and needs exhaust work to pass NH state inspection.

Based on that, your market or audience will be extremely tiny, will it not ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
It has rust holes in body that will prevent passing inspection and needs exhaust work to pass NH state inspection.

Based on that, your market or audience will be extremely tiny, will it not ?

Yes market is small as buyer needs to DIY it I believe for little money but just personal labor.

You will get bad advice on here.

Take some good pictures, be honest, and put it up for sale. You may be surprised.

+1 ....surprised i have not heard robotic "do what it says in service manual" yet. Put it up for sale and someone that has one or a mechainc/flipper will offer you what its worth over scrap.

Last edited:
Exactly. Put up what you think it's worth to you to sell, post a full disclosure of its condition and see what happens.

Be careful selling a vehicle which you know won't pass the state safety inspection. Skipping all the legal advice...seems like a lot of risk for a couple hundred more than the crusher will give you for it.

Originally Posted by GZRider
If you were gonna sell it whole for parts I'd ask $800-1000, but would take first $600 in the door. You might get a few hundred more by parting it out yourself, espcially if the seats, wheels and tires are in good shape, but it is probably not worth the hassle.

Ditto. There are plenty of people who'd do the work in their yard and/or garage and eek out another year or two. You could be honest up front and state that, in the ad or in person, that you just want it gone.

If nothing else, after a week or two, if it doesn't sell, by all means give it to the scrapyard. What will it hurt to try private sale? At this point you could set all the terms of when and where to meet. I wouldn't feel pressured to do anything you didn't want to--no need to work your weekend around this sale, make the buyer work around you.

Originally Posted by brages

I don't think anyone is giving bad advice, only their opinion. He asked "Would you bother trying selling?" Some people will be willing to deal with scammers, tire kickers, and no-shows for a couple hundred bucks and other will not.

The Auto Salvage place will offer $429 for it.

I bet the catalytic converter is worth $429.
lol.gif

If the rust is your typical rocker panel or fender, there are plenty of people who patch that, along with exhaust. I say go for $900. Read the other "needs work for sticker" ads to see what you're up against.

I just got a 270k mile prius with a great body but in need of a few repairs, disclosed by the buyer, for over $1000, and the buyer said they were shocked by the responses. I was the first/ most sober-sounding responder to the ad.

Originally Posted by glock19

I don't think anyone is giving bad advice, only their opinion. He asked "Would you bother trying selling?" Some people will be willing to deal with scammers, tire kickers, and no-shows for a couple hundred bucks and other will not.
Most threads have bad advice in them. Lots of old dudes who are completely out of touch post here.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Take the $429
smile.gif

And Krown your next car, so that it doesn't end up like your MDX

Krown is irrelevant it was poor body work performed while first owner had it. A body shop revealed all sorts of issues when some really minor damage occurred to same area and was able to expose it all. The balance of vehicle has no rust and paint and body in decent shape.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Most threads have bad advice in them. Lots of old dudes who are completely out of touch post here.

You mean older people with more car listing, selling, buying, and repairing experience? Funny how that works. You too, will have more of that as you drift towards old dude territory. Funny how people forget that they too, will hopefully know more the older they get.

The correct answer is to look at what is available in the area on the same venues including type of vehicle, mileage, condition (assume owners are listing condition optimistically), and price equal to or slightly lower than your nearest competitor and be sure to add "OBO".

Also factor in how much insurance is costing to keep it. If it sits around too long that wipes out any savings on holding out for a higher price, and it can get annoying to keep having to inflate tires, exercise it and clean it to keep it in best presentable condition possible... or just say screw it and list for $1K and reduce by $100 per week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by maxdustington

You mean older people with more car listing, selling, buying, and repairing experience? Funny how that works. You too, will have more of that as you drift towards old dude territory. Funny how people forget that they too, will hopefully know more the older they get.

The correct answer is to look at what is available in the area on the same venues including type of vehicle, mileage, condition (assume owners are listing condition optimistically), and price equal to or slightly lower than your nearest competitor and be sure to add "OBO".

Also factor in how much insurance is costing to keep it. If it sits around too long that wipes out any savings on holding out for a higher price, and it can get annoying to keep having to inflate tires, exercise it and clean it to keep it in best presentable condition possible... or just say screw it and list for $1K and reduce by $100 per week.

You forgot the word "cheap" in that sentence.........................

List it for $1,500 while disclosing the problems together with pictures. You have nothing to lose. Be ready to haggle.

I like haggling so for me this would be a fun activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back