Selling the VW need a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Family in the safest and most reliable car you have not a 15 YO beater, not even a question IMO.

Good job trying to get things squared away BTW.

I don't agree with the idea that a 15 year old car or whatever age car can't be any good. Example my step dad's 05 ram he drives it all over the country has almost 170,000 miles and has had very little trouble with it. My mom's 2009 focus 140,000 has been pretty reliable hasn't ever broke down.
My 09 rabbit has been a decent car and hasn't broken down. Heck even my 1990 Chevy c1500 I bought it went through it and now can hop in and go anywhere in it with little worry.
The idea that older cars cannot be reliable is just what auto manufacturers want you to believe so you'll buy a new one. They love the idea of people going into debt to buy cars because their current car is to old ect. The worst car I have ever owned was brand new a 14 ford focus talk about a miserable pile.
My 15 Dodge dart I bought new had a Bluetooth module, door panel and a slave cylinder all in 28,000 miles. So I simply just do not buy the narrative that a well cared for older car cannot be reliable.
My experience speaks other wise.

I liked my MkIV but easy to work on it wasn't, and it wasn't that great at high miles--rust, bent axle and the trans was starting to make noises that worried me. Typical VW fashion, make a clutch that can go the distance--but screw up a flywheel. They also have lots of other concerns (heater box, something about a captive nut on the control arms, probably a few others that I've forgotten).

I'd put in a vote for a late 90's Camry also, but good luck finding one in stick. Good luck finding stick, period. I think you might be limiting yourself too much here, but hey, time is cheap and you shop to your hearts content I guess. I would just go on the bigger side in general, more space is good when it comes to family life, and larger cars seem to handle the highway better.

I'd try to narrow down the field then read up on the models for their expected repairs, and try to put a price tag on them. I'd price out tire costs too, and scanner cost, and start something in Excel, with maybe a tab per model in the running.

It's not that they can't be any good. It's more that in terms of safety and economy, many vehicles have taken leaps and bounds improvement over the last many years. It's a fair point.

I'd assume that mom's car that you're working to get by paying down the dart and trading it, is the big, reliable, safe car. My suspicion is that your car needs to be convenient, but it will do less of the family hauling and shuttling kids around. So you need convenience and space, but it's less of a priority.

Actually, maybe it's been asked before but why not this:
- I think you like the dart. It's just not paid off
- I assume the vw is paid off
- I assume you won't get a lot for the vw

Suck it up with the vw as long as you can,and dump the money you were going to spend replacing it, into the dart. Pay off the dart. Once paid off, start saving for a down payment, sell the vw ASAP to add to your down payment, use the chevy and dart in a pinch if necessary for a few weeks, then buy the wife a van.

Then you have the dart, she has the van, you both have relatively new cars that work for you.

Maybe a bit more money or a bit tighter, but you won't be making automotive transactions that lose money left and right...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
It's not that they can't be any good. It's more that in terms of safety and economy, many vehicles have taken leaps and bounds improvement over the last many years. It's a fair point.

I'd assume that mom's car that you're working to get by paying down the dart and trading it, is the big, reliable, safe car. My suspicion is that your car needs to be convenient, but it will do less of the family hauling and shuttling kids around. So you need convenience and space, but it's less of a priority.

Suck it up with the vw as long as you can,and dump the money you were going to spend replacing it, into the dart. Pay off the dart. Once paid off, start saving for a down payment, sell the vw ASAP to add to your down payment, use the chevy and dart in a pinch if necessary for a few weeks, then buy the wife a van.

Then you have the dart, she has the van, you both have relatively new cars that work for you.

Maybe a bit more money or a bit tighter, but you won't be making automotive transactions that lose money left and right...

I've considered this. It's not an awful plan. But the dart has had it's fair amount of issues. It's got 82,000 miles int it currently and I don't see it being a high mileage car. My lack of trust in it makes me just want to get rid of it. That's kind of an emotional answer but I detest the fact that it's been relatively lack luster. And in the back of my mind I keep waiting for the fiat slave cylinder to die (common) or the multi air brick to fail. Both seem common enough to be concerned with. I've owned it since 26,000 miles and though it has only not started twice both times at home .one was a bad battery the other was a bad key fob. It's had it's share of issues. Hose clamps that love to leak. The screen went out the bcm still needs replaced because it makes the recirculation door go bonkers when using a/c. The car for whatever reason warps rotors I've never warped a set of rotors in my life untill this thing. It seems to enjoy annoying oil leaks the rear caliper and front wheels bearings have been done e brake cable was replaced because it stretched and the shifter linkage bushings literally disintegrated at 60,000. It's also hard on rear tires it loves to cup them if not rotated every 3-5,000 miles.
And I have had to replace the clutch line oring twice for leaking clutch fluid. Mostly minor but definitely doesn't instill confidence.
The misses likes the dart more than me. I have a love hate relationship with it. I enjoy driving it I don't enjoy fixing it's nagging issues.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
MK4 time for you, my boy. MK4 City Golfs in good shape should still be plentiful, and they are solid as a rock with the 2.0. I'm not sure what your expectations are in terms of old cars, but if you like VWs you will like a MK4 and they are as cheap as any other contemporary compact car to fix. There are still so many of them still around because of their corrosion resistance, so they are cheap to purchase.

+1 The MK IV cars are the easiest to work on of any car I have worked on in over 40 years. The 2.0 slow is solid as a rock, super easy and cheap to work on, the timing belt is not much more than a couple of hours inc the WP under the shade tree. A clutch and flywheel with rear seal is an afternoon job if you are taking your time.

Originally Posted by ram_man
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Baby on the way, you need to get something safe and reliable. 3500$ wont get you that. Sounds like money is tight, am I right? How many vehicles do you have? Dart, Ram, and VW Rabbit? Why so many? Personally, I would ditch all 3 and put the proceeds into a sane yet reliable recent-ish used car. Guessing you would save also on insurance and registration too from cutting back to just one. Id get something with under 60k miles. Corolla, Camry, Civic, Accord..many others also come to mind. Just my .02 cents.

Money isn't really tight we are doing a lot this year so I guess it's tighter than normal but it's more about not wanting more of a car payment. I'd like the car that's paid off to make the long trips that way the dart isn't racking up the miles and dropping like a rock in value. The fact it says fca on its sticker hurts the value enough, me driving it a lot just kills it more.

I'm a relatively frugal guy. Also in Missouri 3500 buys a decent car. When I bought the VW it needed a few little things but I did the work and now I'd drive it anywhere. I mean that to I'd hope in it and drive it to Florida. Same way I'd be with a new car after going through it and getting it all up to snuff.

As far as cars go I have the dart the VW the old ram and my 90 Chevy truck. The Chevy truck is used for work. The dart is the misses daily driver. The ram was my papas so it'll be around forever. I plan to have it in decent shape by may so it can be a family hauler when needed. I don't need all 6 seats to often but when I do I'll have it.
The plan as of now is to sell the VW so I have a car easily capable of hauling children and hopefully by August or so of this year we can pay the dart down enough to not have the negative equity in trade in. We will be paying extra toake that happen. Once we are even on its value then we are going to look into trading it for a newer van or dodge journey something like that. But right now I'd have to roll over almost 4,000 and I don't want to do that. There are also a few things on my fiance's credit report that she needs to dispute and then a couple small Medical bills lingering that she needs to handle once that's done we can trade the dart but I don't want to trade it and have a higher payment.
So short term goal is to utilize the ram when the room is needed. Long term goal is to trade the dart for a more suitable family car.
The vw is my daily driver and it's a good fun little car but it being a 2 door makes it less than ideal for a baby.

The annoyance of a 2 door can be overlooked by having a car that you already have and know about. 2 door cars have usually longer doors and sliding seats to better access the rear. And you could always put the seat in the front.

Originally Posted by atikovi
The annoyance of a 2 door can be overlooked by having a car that you already have and know about. 2 door cars have usually longer doors and sliding seats to better access the rear. And you could always put the seat in the front.

You physically could put the seat in the front, but it's a well known no-no, airbag or not. Might even be illegal, it's been too long for me to remember, and it could vary state to state. Kids ride in the back whenever possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Family in the safest and most reliable car you have not a 15 YO beater, not even a question IMO.

Good job trying to get things squared away BTW.

I don't agree with the idea that a 15 year old car or whatever age car can't be any good. Example my step dad's 05 ram he drives it all over the country has almost 170,000 miles and has had very little trouble with it. My mom's 2009 focus 140,000 has been pretty reliable hasn't ever broke down.
My 09 rabbit has been a decent car and hasn't broken down. Heck even my 1990 Chevy c1500 I bought it went through it and now can hop in and go anywhere in it with little worry.
The idea that older cars cannot be reliable is just what auto manufacturers want you to believe so you'll buy a new one. They love the idea of people going into debt to buy cars because their current car is to old ect. The worst car I have ever owned was brand new a 14 ford focus talk about a miserable pile.
My 15 Dodge dart I bought new had a Bluetooth module, door panel and a slave cylinder all in 28,000 miles. So I simply just do not buy the narrative that a well cared for older car cannot be reliable.
My experience speaks other wise.

I have an 07 Corolla with 170k miles on it, reliable as anything, however I picked up a 2015 Venza with 25k miles on it. I have no doubt they are both reliable but I truck my family around in the newer/safer vehicle.

This is good advice. +1

I've considered this. It's not an awful plan. But the dart has had it's fair amount of issues. It's got 82,000 miles int it currently and I don't see it being a high mileage car. My lack of trust in it makes me just want to get rid of it. That's kind of an emotional answer but I detest the fact that it's been relatively lack luster. And in the back of my mind I keep waiting for the fiat slave cylinder to die (common) or the multi air brick to fail. Both seem common enough to be concerned with. I've owned it since 26,000 miles and though it has only not started twice both times at home .one was a bad battery the other was a bad key fob. It's had it's share of issues. Hose clamps that love to leak. The screen went out the bcm still needs replaced because it makes the recirculation door go bonkers when using a/c. The car for whatever reason warps rotors I've never warped a set of rotors in my life untill this thing. It seems to enjoy annoying oil leaks the rear caliper and front wheels bearings have been done e brake cable was replaced because it stretched and the shifter linkage bushings literally disintegrated at 60,000. It's also hard on rear tires it loves to cup them if not rotated every 3-5,000 miles.
And I have had to replace the clutch line oring twice for leaking clutch fluid. Mostly minor but definitely doesn't instill confidence.
The misses likes the dart more than me. I have a love hate relationship with it. I enjoy driving it I don't enjoy fixing it's nagging issues.

Well, it's a FIAT (like the 200) in drag, so that stuff doesn't surprise me unfortunately. They brought excellent aesthetics and better interiors to Chrysler/Jeep/RAM, but the mechanicals? not so much. FCA's efforts at getting into the small car market also seemed to be a bit half-arsed, hence them dropping that platform so.... How much time is left on the loan? Is it possible to make some larger payments on it to get rid of the payment? That's where you are going to get ahead, by eliminating the payment and getting cash in hand, you paying it down more doesn't really help your position on the vehicle because you are eating the money either way and the car isn't going up in value, follow?

Just in case that's not as clear as it could be, for the sake of theoreticals, let's say you owe $9,000 on the car and trade is $6,000 so you want to get to $6,000 before you trade it so you aren't under water on it and rolling negative equity into your new payment. So you are making $3,000 worth of payments, and during that period, the vehicle continues to depreciate; continues to lose value, so you are chasing the negative equity with a payment; you are paying the $3,000, whether it's rolled into a new loan or whether you pay it off via continued payments, and at the same time, doing so on something that continues to decline in value. So, say you are making a $200/month payment @ 4% interest, you are looking at 16 months; more than a year, before you make up that 3K, which becomes $3,328 and if the vehicle declines in value by $500 during that time, you are still under water.

Still using these numbers, on the other hand, if you can bump your payment to $700, you could eliminate that 3K in 4 months, but better still, you could pay the car off in 13 months and the interest paid would be less because you are reducing the term. You are still out the money (minus the interest savings); you've paid it onto the vehicle, but you can then save for a couple of months to have a down payment because you won't be paying on the loan so then if you still need to borrow to get into new wheels, what you borrow overall will be significantly lower.

Is that helpful at all?

Grass is always greener. Not. Stick with the Rabbit and
burn that Dart.

I was in the market. Nice engine/ trans

But drove worse than a hit Neon and terrible front cabin space.

Engineer at the lab has a MT accord. That year was the oil burner recall.

I have the TSB.

Honda ain't all that.

I would say: Subaru Legacy

Originally Posted by supton

You physically could put the seat in the front, but it's a well known no-no, airbag or not. Might even be illegal, it's been too long for me to remember, and it could vary state to state. Kids ride in the back whenever possible.

I think they sell rear facing seats to use in the front

The longer door theory is great for bigger kids who can climb in. If OP is doing this because a baby is on the way, and is going to have a baby carrier "bucket", that's very difficult.

No way I'd put the seat in the front, even if they make purpose specific seat designs.

I think they sell rear facing seats to use in the front

It is still illegal to carry small children in the front seat, regardless how the seat is positioned. MO may not be one of those states. Not sure.

A tough spot to be in, especially since the dart is not yet paid off.
Honestly, I agree with overkill on trying to get rid of the dart. It probably looses its value very quickly, so concentrating on paying it off ASAP and selling while it has some value left is not a bad strategy.

I would probably suck it up and live with the two door Rabbit for now. But if you are on the bigger side, I can see it being a pain.

As far as 3000 used cars go, well you will be taking a gamble regardless of brand. My advice would be to look for private sale and one owner, if you want the best shot at having a reliable car. Avoid dealers and private flippers at all costs.

Last edited:
It's definitely illegal also it's just stupid in my opinion. A child belongs in the back seat rear facing when little. I posted a little Honda Civic for sale in this thread I'd love feedback on it. It was from Arizona most its life so it should be pretty rust free.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Grass is always greener. Not. Stick with the Rabbit and
burn that Dart.

I was in the market. Nice engine/ trans

But drove worse than a hit Neon and terrible front cabin space.

Engineer at the lab has a MT accord. That year was the oil burner recall.

I have the TSB.

Honda ain't all that.

I would say: Subaru Legacy

Oil burner Accord was the V6 I believe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Well, it's a FIAT (like the 200) in drag, so that stuff doesn't surprise me unfortunately. They brought excellent aesthetics and better interiors to Chrysler/Jeep/RAM, but the mechanicals? not so much. FCA's efforts at getting into the small car market also seemed to be a bit half-arsed, hence them dropping that platform so.... How much time is left on the loan? Is it possible to make some larger payments on it to get rid of the payment? That's where you are going to get ahead, by eliminating the payment and getting cash in hand, you paying it down more doesn't really help your position on the vehicle because you are eating the money either way and the car isn't going up in value, follow?

Just in case that's not as clear as it could be, for the sake of theoreticals, let's say you owe $9,000 on the car and trade is $6,000 so you want to get to $6,000 before you trade it so you aren't under water on it and rolling negative equity into your new payment. So you are making $3,000 worth of payments, and during that period, the vehicle continues to depreciate; continues to lose value, so you are chasing the negative equity with a payment; you are paying the $3,000, whether it's rolled into a new loan or whether you pay it off via continued payments, and at the same time, doing so on something that continues to decline in value. So, say you are making a $200/month payment @ 4% interest, you are looking at 16 months; more than a year, before you make up that 3K, which becomes $3,328 and if the vehicle declines in value by $500 during that time, you are still under water.

Still using these numbers, on the other hand, if you can bump your payment to $700, you could eliminate that 3K in 4 months, but better still, you could pay the car off in 13 months and the interest paid would be less because you are reducing the term. You are still out the money (minus the interest savings); you've paid it onto the vehicle, but you can then save for a couple of months to have a down payment because you won't be paying on the loan so then if you still need to borrow to get into new wheels, what you borrow overall will be significantly lower.

Is that helpful at all?

This makes a lot of sense. So we were thinking of paying it down enough to just not be under water so we could trade it in even up. We would do that over the course of 7 months or so. But we could probably pay it off in 12-16 months by paying more on the loan every month and then having a car payment free situation where we could them save a little for a down payment. That may be something we try to do.
I obviously still want a 4 door car for me before that but it would certainly make getting out of the dart better. There's a lot to love about the dart. But there's also plenty to gripe about. With a little more effort they could have really made something nice. I don't know why they have arsed it like you said. Kind of ashame honestly.

You might be able to sell the Rabbit and buy the same year Jetta Sportwagen with a 2.5 manual for less. The rabbits are a bit more desirable in some markets due to being made in germany instead of mexico. A wagon is an excellent road tripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back