Purolator Boss PBL14615 filter after 12,295 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks OS4A After seeing sooo many c&p filters from 53 Stude you pickup on the little things.
smile.gif

dnewton3

lol.

Gonna do a Purolator PBL14610 as well...but that's down the road a few months.

Originally Posted by OS4A
Johnny Johnson

It was difficult for me to adjust to the new technologies. I started out changing oil on my parents new 1970 AMC Hornet which had like a 4 or 5 month OCI requirement if I remember correctly.

I run 6k OCI's on the Subaru so a jobber or mid tier filter would be great if I changed filters every time. I have a Bosch 3974 on the shelf for a one OC filter change if needed.

I have no problem running 2 OCI's using a filter designed for extended performance/mileage whether it's a Fram or Mobil or Purolator etc.

I trust the science is what it boils down to.

Whatever works. No harm no foul either way.

Familiar with Entiat? Lived n worked on the "dry side" for several years.

I agree.

And zero worries since no sludge in engine.... so multiple OC on filter is OK.

53 Stude

I put another Purolator PBL 14615 on the Subaru for another go. See no reason not too. Having examined the media n pleats...looked good to go for a third OC.

I see no reason not to run a extended performance filter for 12-15k. They are built for extended OCI's whether from Fram/Mobil/Purolator etc Works out to $5.50 per OC in my case.

I run Rotella 5w-30 multi-vehicle in the Subaru if that's what you are asking.

Very good sir
smile.gif

Thank You

I've been running ac delcos on my nissans for $3.50 a piece. The wife's rogue is under warranty and has to be changed every 5k. When I put my new used engine in my altima I'm gonna run a couple of short intervals and then use a Mobil 1 A and put annual protection in and run it for a year.

That oil looks very dirty. Thanks for the C&P.
I'm seeing more and more members here going to multiple OCI's on the same filter. Are the members just getting lazy.......?????
21.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
That oil looks very dirty. Thanks for the C&P.
I'm seeing more and more members here going to multiple OCI's on the same filter. Are the members just getting lazy.......?????
21.gif

Being resourceful and learning is why I do multiple intervals with a tough guard and or FRAM ULTRA

... I'm seeing more and more members here going to multiple OCI's on the same filter. Are the members just getting lazy.......?????
Being "lazy" is being smart, when there's no drawback. Other members are slow learners.

The 2019 Impreza is supposed to use 0W20 oil. How do you like the car so far? In the rest of the world the oil change interval on that same engine is 12 months or 7,767 miles.

Originally Posted by CR94
... I'm seeing more and more members here going to multiple OCI's on the same filter. Are the members just getting lazy.......?????
Being "lazy" is being smart, when there's no drawback. Other members are slow learners.

Yeah, I guess I will NEVER learn to be lazy enough to keep the same oil filter on my engine for multiple OCI's. I'm not a "monkey see, monkey do member!"
cool.gif

Yeah, I guess I will NEVER learn to be lazy enough to keep the same oil filter on my engine for multiple OCI's. I'm not a "monkey see, monkey do member!"
cool.gif

If Honda says to do that in the manual does that make someone a monkey if they do so?

Are they also monkeys if they follow viscosity and specifications listed in the manual?

Originally Posted by CR94

cool.gif

There is also a boatload of evidence in the UOA section where member run 15K OCI's with excellent results. What's the difference if you run two 7K OCI's or one 14K?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Where did you come up with 7,767 miles?
21.gif

12,500 kilometers = 7,767 miles.

Originally Posted by kschachn
cool.gif

If Honda says to do that in the manual does that make someone a monkey if they do so?

Are they also monkeys if they follow viscosity and specifications listed in the manual?

I guess those people "over there" need to be re educated.

...I guess those people "over there" need to be re educated.
Exactly what relevant knowledge do you possess that they do not?

Originally Posted by wdn

The 2019 Impreza is supposed to use 0W20 oil. How do you like the car so far? In the rest of the world the oil change interval on that same engine is 12 months or 7,767 miles.

wdn

0w-20 is the recommended oil by Subaru. I feel this is strictly for CAFE standards to meet some mpg figure and keep government lackeys happy...my opinion rightly or wrongly.

I have good sources that tell me it is not unheard of for Subaru dealers to interchange 0w-20 with 5w-30 in these cars depending on whats on hand, what cheap bulk they just bought etc...and may or may not ever tell the owner. Where I live 0w and 5w are interchangeable and not an issue at all. Heck, I could run 10w and get away with it. 20 grade vs 30 grade is the only question...as is ILSAC5 vs HDEO and additives. Really just trying out the HDEO. Plus interested in the Shell GTL base. I will run UOA's as I am interested in the science as well as my experience with the horseless carriage.

I enjoy the 2019 Impreza hatchback. This is my 5th Subaru so I feel they are good, solid cars for the money. Each one was kept for 12+ years with minimum 200k+ on the odo. '85, 89', '96, '01 and now the '19. Never really had an oil burner till way late in the game but did have the head gasket issues on the '01.

I am not against running 10k OCI's on a Subaru at all. Probably wait till 24k or so to make that determination. 10k for me would be ~10 months OCI's.

Unanswerable question, but why are we seeing so many filters these days (Wix XP/Napa Platinum come to mind for this also) where the filter media is significantly smaller diameter than the metal endcaps? I know it likely doesn't affect filter performance, but it just appears haphazard and shoddy. /Random thought of the day
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
... why are we seeing so many filters these days ... where the filter media is significantly smaller diameter than the metal endcaps? I know it likely doesn't affect filter performance, ...
That does reduce the effective media surface area. No-endcap designs can have larger media area within the same can (for spin-ons) or housing (for cartridges) inside diameter and length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back