Rotella gas truck vs Valvoline modern engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently (with the excellent help from this website) I picked up a 2014 Prius c. Also with the help from this website, I picked up a respectable amount of rotella gas truck and Valvoline modern engine in 0w-20 flavor.

I fully understand that I can run either of these in this engine with no problems at all. The reason I am asking is because I have two vehicles that I maintain that run on 0w-20(Prius and Mazda 3), and was wanting to run the same oil concurrently.

I have looked at the voa's on both of these, but am still pretty new at all this oil stuff and can't seem to find a clear winner. It seems as though RGT has a higher moly content (read some posts talking about tgmo also having high moly), but is also on the thicker side.

I know this is quite OCD of me, and am fully aware that both will get the job done. I was just wondering if one was better suited to the job at hand.

Well, I have both sitting on my shelf in my garage right now (thanks to autozone clearance sale), but I've been using RGT for the past 6-9 months and love it. Truck used less oil on it...high moly, low Noack. Haven't used the Valvoline yet, imagine it's fine too. It seems all these dexos approved 0w20's are similar nowadays.

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! You CANNOT run "truck oil" in a Prius!!! It'll wanna pull something!!! Let the Mazda hurt itself!!!
cheers3.gif

A while back there was a good thread on the different types of moly and from what I recall one is better in regards to not needing as much to do the same job. So the RGT is listed at 160 and Modern engine at 79 (5w30 couldn't find 0w20) but I don't recall if one is better than the other as far as protection or how you tell which one is in the oil your looking at.

As far as being OCD I wouldn't worry about that, most people here are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
A while back there was a good thread on the different types of moly and from what I recall one is better in regards to not needing as much to do the same job. So the RGT is listed at 160 and Modern engine at 79 (5w30 couldn't find 0w20) but I don't recall if one is better than the other as far as protection or how you tell which one is in the oil your looking at.

As far as being OCD I wouldn't worry about that, most people here are.

Here...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3585508/What_does_MoS2_actually_do?

Originally Posted by MoPowa
I recently (with the excellent help from this website) I picked up a 2014 Prius c. Also with the help from this website, I picked up a respectable amount of rotella gas truck and Valvoline modern engine in 0w-20 flavor.

I fully understand that I can run either of these in this engine with no problems at all. The reason I am asking is because I have two vehicles that I maintain that run on 0w-20(Prius and Mazda 3), and was wanting to run the same oil concurrently.

I have looked at the voa's on both of these, but am still pretty new at all this oil stuff and can't seem to find a clear winner. It seems as though RGT has a higher moly content (read some posts talking about tgmo also having high moly), but is also on the thicker side.

I know this is quite OCD of me, and am fully aware that both will get the job done. I was just wondering if one was better suited to the job at hand.

You don't judge the quality of an oil - for comparison purposes, based on Moly-only content.

I'm sure they will both perform the same. I, personally, like the specs on RGT better than the Valvoline. I used Valvoline for a while and was under impressed.

I am still pretty new at all this oil stuff and can't seem to find a clear winner

There won't be one.
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Apple - Apple.

Correct.

No, the RGT 0w20 is not on the thicker side, compared to other 0w20. No doubt TGMO 0w20 runs thinner than 40 degree C than all other 0w20, but at 100 degree C both RGT 0w20 and TGMO 0w20 are the same. When I compared RGT 0w20 to Mobil 1 AFE 0w20(the one most Toyota people use) there viscosity numbers were almost identical.

Go ahead use RGT 0w20 in your Prius C. Than take the bottle and put it next to the Prius emblem on your vehicle and take a picture of it. That picture will be a slap in the face to all those Prius repellant diesel pickup drivers who probably have Rotella oil in there crankcase. Because you know the Rotella name belongs to the diesel world.

Originally Posted by oldhp
NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! You CANNOT run "truck oil" in a Prius!!! It'll wanna pull something!!! Let the Mazda hurt itself!!!
cheers3.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Go ahead use RGT 0w20 in your Prius C. Than take the bottle and put it next to the Prius emblem on your vehicle and take a picture of it. That picture will be a slap in the face to all those Prius repellant diesel pickup drivers who probably have Rotella oil in there crankcase. Because you know the Rotella name belongs to the diesel world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back