What does MoS2 actually do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently added a can of LiquiMolly MoS2 to my engine.
I cannot say I noticed too much, possibly a tiny bit smoother, and have not tested my mpg.

What I noticed it has done though is quieten down my lifters at idle.
How does it have this effect?

And is it a good additive to use?
It seems additives in general are a bit of a hit and miss, but LiquiMolly seems to have a really good reputation and it is the only brand of additive that I will use.

I am also considering trying their oil. Currently I use Shell Helix Ultra.

You'll get some people who say they love the additive, and some people who'll say you shouldn't mess with the chemistry of the oil since the manufacturer's engineers have designed it as they see best. So really it's up to you. I've never heard of anyone having a problem that they directly related to adding some LiquidMoly to their oil. Though if you like moly, you can also look for an oil that already comes with a good dose of moly in it. The PQI America website will help you see what oils have a good amount of moly in it.

LiquiMoly MOS2 is a an older chemistry in which a suspension of solid (powdered) Molybdenum sulfide, MOS2, is suspended in an oil carrier.

It provides friction reduction as in a deck of plastic coated playing cards. Press down on the cards at an angle and they will easily slide. The friction reduction is done at the "macro" or solid particle level.

Better "soluble" moly types such as Moly Dithiocarbamates (MoDTC) and Tri-Nuclear moly (a newer form of MoDTC), work at the molecular level providing friction modification AND anti-oxidation capabilities. Most modern motor oils have this type of moly.

Last edited:
I've found that most additives are nothing but snake oil. Liqui-moly is the exception to the rule,in my humble opinion.

My old 2v had 300k on it. I put 150000 of them on. Track days,sprayed easily 500 pounds of nitrous thru it at various horsepower level.
Anyway I got tired of it spitting out plugs so I pulled it in favour of a 4v from a mach.
So it was in my garage any my inquisitive nature took over,and I read the RP vs mobil thread on the forum and my interest was piqued so I wanted to see my cams. So I removed them.
I used mos2 in that engine the entire time I owned it. So upon inspection the cams had a wear scar visible however it was barely felt dragging my fingernail across it.
So I put them on a top shelf in my garage along side a pair of comp 272s.
Fast forward 2 years I had a guy interested in the comp cams so up the ladder I go to grab them. They had a mild coat of rust on the lobes and the sides of the lobes. I called the buyer he said he didn't care and that he'd clean them up.
The stock cams were spotless.
All 4 cams sat in the same place for the same length of time yet the stocker had no rust at all.
The only explanation I could come up with is that the plating effect that mos2 does left that layer on the cam lobes preventing moisture from corroding the surface layer.
I'm no expert. I am just guessing however both pairs were used. I had even wiped down the comp pair with a rag and oil prior to setting up there. The stockers I didn't do anything preventative because I didn't care since I wasn't using nor planning on selling them.
So the only difference between them was one pair had been exposed to mos2 for a considerable amount of miles.
It's not scientific. And it could be meaningless but I thought it was interesting.
And another thing,the stockers still felt slick to the touch when I ran my fingertips across the lobes. So much so I wasn't expecting it and when I grabbed one. Felt strange.
Anyway just my experience with the stuff.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
LiquiMoly MOS2 is a an older chemistry in which a suspension of solid (powdered) Molybdenum sulfide, MOS2, is suspended in an oil carrier.

It provides friction reduction as in a deck of plastic coated playing cards. Press down on the cards at an angle and they will easily slide. The friction reduction is done at the "macro" or solid particle level.

Better "soluble" moly types such as Moly Dithiocarbamates (MoDTC) and Tri-Nuclear moly (a newer form of MoDTC), work at the molecular level providing friction modification AND anti-oxidation capabilities. Most modern motor oils have this type of moly.

MolaKule, which type of Moly does Pennzoil use, as they always VOA/UOA high in Moly?

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
I cannot say I noticed too much, possibly a tiny bit smoother, and have not tested my mpg.

It seems additives in general are a bit of a hit and miss, but LiquiMolly seems to have a really good reputation and it is the only brand of additive that I will use.

Like all additives on Bitog it has its lovers and haters. Clevy seems to be the member with the most experience actually using the product, and he's had good results using it. Opinions vary though. I had success with it for several years now in a mower. It stopped it from smoking [blue] upon start up. I've experimented quite a bit with this engine over the years and the addition of MoS2 consistently stops the engine from smoking [blue] when I start it. Just my observations from using it for a few years now.

My final thoughts. I would not use it in a vehicle that sits for long periods of time. I've seen pictures of it collecting in the bottom of an oil pan, it was there shortly after the car was started and shut down to have an oil pan replaced. In a car that is a daily driver I don't think it would be a problem.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Like all additives on Bitog it has its lovers and haters. Clevy seems to be the member with the most experience actually using the product, and he's had good results using it. Opinions vary though. I had success with it for several years now in a mower. It stopped it from smoking [blue] upon start up. I've experimented quite a bit with this engine over the years and the addition of MoS2 consistently stops the engine from smoking [blue] when I start it. Just my observations from using it for a few years now.

My final thoughts. I would not use it in a vehicle that sits for long periods of time. I've seen pictures of it collecting in the bottom of an oil pan, it was there shortly after the car was started and shut down to have an oil pan replaced. In a car that is a daily driver I don't think it would be a problem.

Good advice about using it in a car that sits. Or if the vehicle is being retired from use as a daily change the oil prior to parking it.
The mos2 has been known to settle out or coagulate over time. So in a vehicle that doesn't get driven often that may present a problem.

I wanted to add that my old 2v had little to no deposits on the ring lands. I've heard but not seen that if an engine allows oil to be burned via the rings there is a possibility that the mos2 creates deposits.
I've not seen it but I can believe it considering its a mineral.
And I've never seen deposits on my plugs either however I can certainly believe it's possible.
If a person is going to use this stuff I feel full disclose is the best route to go. So if you've got an oil burner you may want to think about it and all the potential problems that may come.
Many here who've got engines that smoke say the same thing as DP in that the smoking was reduced or eliminated but I believe this is a best case scenario.
And if a person is unsure then don't use it. Today's oils are fantastic and truth be told they will contribute to an engine that lasts longer than the vehicle it's installed in however the tinkerer in me always needs to try stuff and see what happens.
I've tried every single oil additive out there once. And only once. Because they didn't do anything that I could measure,like fuel consumption.
Mos2 has shown to me to improve many aspects of how my engines perform and their fuel consumption which is why I've bought it more than once.
Everything from slick 50 to duralube and everything in between and I've never seen any benefit whatsoever.
Mos2 is different in my honest opinion.
I will say that in my mom Dodge Caliber after adding mos2 I saw no significant fuel economy changes. I'm guessing it's because there already isn't much friction due to not as many parts as compared to a v-8, but again it's only a guess.
I'm not saying it won't improve fuel economy in smaller engines,just that I didn't see notice anything significant enough worth of commenting.
The caliber did idle much smoother though. I used a glass of water and set it on the engine before and a couple weeks after and the water in the glass vibrated far less. Not scientific however I'm not a scientist. I just wanted to see if there was any change,and there was.
Anyway a vehicle can be a very large expenditure so if using products that one isn't sure about or has concerns then be smart and don't use it. It's just that simple. I've had positive experiences with it so I continue to use it in every single fuel burning engine I own or service for friends.
I've never had nor do I anticipate having a problem however that certainly doesn't mean one won't present itself.

Classic MoS2 is like Molakule said, layers of plates that slide on each other. Layers of Mo and S up to about 29 layers deep. I don't know how thick it ends up overall.

There are some places you don't want to use MoS2.

MoS2 is 'activated' by heat and actively tries to maintain the 29 layers under high load-friction-heat. Once it's 'plated' it's pretty tough and is very slick and will work to some degree to smooth out a surface that is roughed up.

nanometers thick, even 29 layers.

MoS2 isn't heat activated though, but MoDTC or MoDTP are to form MoS2 but there also needs to be Sulfur present which usually comes from depleting ZDDP

One vehicle that would not benefit from LiquiMolly MoS2 is a wet clutch motorcycle, some of the dry clutch BMW's it might be a good thing.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/B:TRIL.0000017425.30616.8a#page-1

A good article to explain the dfference between MoS2 and graphite on the one hand, and MoDTC and MoDTP on the other.

Since MoS2 and graphite areattracted by metal, you don't need to use 5% v/v as the concentration will naturally be higher where there's less oil.

My car gets driven on weekends only, rarely on weekdays. Is this an issue?

It could be. If your looking for a moly add for a car that is not driven daily have a look at Lubegard Bio Tech Engine Protectant. They use a different moly.

Have a look at Lubegard Bio Tech Engine Protectant. They use a different moly.

Exactly what type of moly does LubeGard use?

35.gif

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Have a look at Lubegard Bio Tech Engine Protectant. They use a different moly.

Exactly what type of moly does LubeGard use?

He's spoken about it a few times IIRC. You might want to search a little more. They don't use MoS2 that much I'm sure of.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
MolaKule:

What type of molybdenum do you believe is used in this product? 1,891 seems like a high level of moly.

I think they are using a form of the ester,
Molybdenum di(2-ethylhexyl) phosphorodithioate, owing to the moly and phos content.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/B:TRIL.0000017425.30616.8a#page-1

A good article to explain the dfference between MoS2 and graphite on the one hand, and MoDTC and MoDTP on the other.

Since MoS2 and graphite areattracted by metal, you don't need to use 5% v/v as the concentration will naturally be higher where there's less oil.

Sure, it is old school. ELF molygraphite

http://www.amway.my/Shop/Product/Product.aspx/Elf-Molygraphite-10W30-Engine-Oil-4L-?itemno=256942

Good black stuff, like ARCOGRAPHITE EO?

I seen bavarian auto carries all of liquimoly products online. Bavauto carries liquimoly/redline oil and I trust both companies. I have found LM mos2 to work well but I have started to use less as using too much shows no improvement and have cut down my future additive amount to 60ml. I think it really helped during our hot summers with burn off protection and made idle a bit smoother on top of using PP/PUP. When I first used it I only used 30ml per oci and later noticed I wasn't seeing it when I drained the oil. This brought me to find a happy medium on a amount that would coat and around 90-150ml fit the bill. Even on its worst day, mos2 is still better and less harmful than anything else I have ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back