2017 Hyundai Elantra- One Year/20,000 Mile Review

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: JustN89
I haven't had any issues with the AC, though I forgot to mention how bad the tires are that come standard on the Elantra. They're not noisy, but they are pretty terrible in the rain.

Nice review of your Elantra.

Why not get another Mazda3 ?

I'm looking at the Mazda3 hatchback sport model and out the door they are around $19,000 with the 2.0L engine.

The Mazda was definitely a fun car to drive- spirited 2.0L engine and great handling, but I felt like the interior was a bit bland on the lower trim levels and the Hyundai offered a longer warranty and a lot of features that I couldn't get on the Mazda3 for that price (in fact, I'm actually not even sure they had Android Auto for the Mazda3 in 2017- you could add it on but you couldn't get it with it already installed if I'm not mistaken). Obviously, that's just personal taste and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Mazda to anyone. They are fun to drive.

Great review! I love my '18 as well. For an economy car, it comes with a lot of std features and rides very nice on the highway. The suspension soaks up the bumps and keeps the car planted on windy days and when passing semis. It also idles eerily quiet for a 4-cyl. In the beginning I thought the engine had cut off at traffic lights!

I like happy endings.

The must have was cruise control for me. They initially only included that in the Popular package which put me $700 over budget. Fortunately, my dealer had a new SE when Hyundai added it to base model. Bought end of month and dealership had Hyundai cash. I am not great with business transactions (sucker), but felt I got a good deal.

Civic and Corolla would have been more expensive. The Elantra was a better fit for my needs.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Great review! I love my '18 as well. For an economy car, it comes with a lot of std features and rides very nice on the highway. The suspension soaks up the bumps and keeps the car planted on windy days and when passing semis. It also idles eerily quiet for a 4-cyl. In the beginning I thought the engine had cut off at traffic lights!

Did you get yours at the bargain prices that some have quoted?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: mclasser

Did you get yours at the bargain prices that some have quoted?

Seeing that you seem passive aggressively stuck on this for some reason, please see this link for the new Elantras at the dealership that I purchased from.

You will find that many are listed online already at 30% off MSRP, and my experience (the one time that I've been there) is that they will work with you on the price still. Who knows, maybe you can fly down there and pick up your IONIQ.

In case you don't want to follow the link, here's a screenshot of a pair of Elantras listed online at 36% off MSRP.

I too own a 2017 Elantra Value Edition, in the "Mineral Beige" color. I have 14,200 miles and it very nice. My one BIG complaint though is the painfully slow heater on cold winter days! I read that this has been a issue and dont know it I can deal with it for another cold winter!

If the heating issue cant be corrected, I may sell and purchase a NEW 2018 Civic LX sedan.

Originally Posted By: flinter
I too own a 2017 Elantra Value Edition, in the "Mineral Beige" color. I have 14,200 miles and it very nice. My one BIG complaint though is the painfully slow heater on cold winter days! I read that this has been a issue and dont know it I can deal with it for another cold winter!

If the heating issue cant be corrected, I may sell and purchase a NEW 2018 Civic LX sedan.

Well poppycock! This was my #1 choice currently on my shopping list but this is a non-starter for me. Does it depend on the engine for heater performance?

Get a scanguage and you can see the actual water temperature. I'll bet you just need a new thermostat, and if you watch the temperature change you'll see that its opening too soon, and staying open as you'll drop temperature below the closing temp when coasting on the highway.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Get a scanguage and you can see the actual water temperature. I'll bet you just need a new thermostat, and if you watch the temperature change you'll see that its opening too soon, and staying open as you'll drop temperature below the closing temp when coasting on the highway.

From perusing the elantra forums it appears to be more complicated than that. Seems that there is a serious design flaw in the setup somewhere.

So disappointed. I thought I had finally found what I wanted and could stop the research game.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

From perusing the elantra forums it appears to be more complicated than that. Seems that there is a serious design flaw in the setup somewhere.

So disappointed. I thought I had finally found what I wanted and could stop the research game.

You don't want to cover the grill with cardboard in the winter on your new car?
grin.gif

I'd think the epa would be on their case soon to fix it as running a low engine temp would effect mileage and emissions?

You don't want to cover the grill with cardboard in the winter on your new car?
grin.gif

I'd think the epa would be on their case soon to fix it as running a low engine temp would effect mileage and emissions?

I'm not sure that was even helping folks. There are videos of the water temp gauge falling all the way to low just stopping at stop lights and people driving for quite a while and still not getting hot air from the vents. Really weird issue and seems to be connected to the automatic climate control version of the elantra and not the manual controls.

I figured I would update this as we have now had the car 2 years and 37k miles.

So far, we've still avoided any real issues with this car. It's been a great car and we've gotten our money's worth so far. This thing has been the backbone of our fleet as we do everything in it. In two years, here's what I've done maintenance/repair wise (besides oil changes):

1. Engine air filter/Cabin air filter (changed at 20k miles- about time to replace those again)
2. Did an ATF drain and fill at 13k miles and plan for another at 45k
3. Replaced tires at 37k miles (In my original post, I mentioned that my tires were R15s- this was incorrect. This has 205/55/R16 tires)
4. Driver side door lock mechanism broke- replaced under warranty and no issues since

That's about it. It's not a perfect car- it's got a rattle in the door that I can hear if I listen to music too loudly (which doesn't really bother me since I rarely listen to anything that's not sports talk radio or Audible), and the OEM tires were garbage, but other than that it's been great. It has consistently returned greater-than-expected MPG (took a picture of the dash saying that we were average 50.2 MPG while driving on the highway- it's not indicative of the MPG achieved over the entire tank which was 44.9, but it was still cool to see) and the dual climate zone has been a lifesaver.

For anyone considering the Elantra, I do recommend it. I still think it's the best value in the compact market. However, if you buy one with the Nexen AH8 tires, plan on replacing them. They were horrible in the rain. We still had roughly 5-10k miles on them, but they were just terrible in any amount of rain and especially so on the highway. I put Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and so far, couldn't be happier. I have only had them for about a week now, but it's been raining here in the DFW and the difference between these two tires is night a day and before anyone says it, the OEM tires were bad in the rain from the get-go, it wasn't the mileage on them.

Here's the picture. I guess I missed my window to edit my post. Like I said, this wasn't indicative of the MPG over the entire tank and I was only going 65, but it was still cool to see with the AC blasting.

MPG.jpg

Thanks for the review I picked one up for my youngest daughter her first car used for a great price. She's extremely happy and besides a chatty engine when cold it's all good so far. Keep us posted on the new tires.

So I drove from DFW to OKC last weekend. Last Friday, I drove through torrential rain and tornado warnings with zero issue. Woke up and drove to OKC the next morning and drove through a snow storm (well, as much of a snow storm as you can get around these parts) just north of the OK/TX border and it handled that great as well. Really, couldn't have asked for better from these tires. I'll update the thread again at the 3 year mark and will update how the tires have been as well.

To the OP, I would recommend against updating the wheels on the car.

I had a base Sonata with 16 inch wheels and a comfy amount of sidewall on them. A deal came across for the optional 18 inch wheels and I went for it.

Hated the ride from day one, and about six months later hit a pothole in Houston and bent one of the wheels.

Stick with the 15's and enjoy the cheap tire replacement prices! If you want to customize this type of car, put a bumper sticker on it.

To the OP, I would recommend against updating the wheels on the car.

I had a base Sonata with 16 inch wheels and a comfy amount of sidewall on them. A deal came across for the optional 18 inch wheels and I went for it.

Hated the ride from day one, and about six months later hit a pothole in Houston and bent one of the wheels.

Stick with the 15's and enjoy the cheap tire replacement prices! If you want to customize this type of car, put a bumper sticker on it.
Thanks for this. I was actually incorrect in my original post- the car came with the 16" wheels on it, not the 15s. They've been just fine, but I wouldn't get anything bigger than a 16 on this car.

I missed updating the site last year- not much changed through 2020 as we didn't drive as much. The car is sitting at 59,937 miles currently, so I'll update it in March as we hit 4 years of ownership and just past the bumper-to-bumper warranty and go over what's been good/bad and anything we've had to have fixed.

Well, it's now 5 years of ownership on this car. I've driven it just north of 76k miles in those 5 years, roughly 16,000 miles/year. I feel like I know this car pretty well, and as they're plentiful in the used car market, I thought I'd update this and add my thoughts of the good and the bad on the AD Elantra. I had thought about creating a new thread, but I liked the idea of keeping it contained in one- kinda tracking the history of my thoughts on this car. Not that my thoughts are all that valuable. I don't know if editing the title is possible to update the years and mileage. Maybe @wwillson knows?

I'll separate the good and the bad, but just wanted to add that this car has been our primary vehicle for 5 years. We've driven it west to Yellowstone and all the way down to Florida. Through the Rockies and everywhere in between. It's never left us stranded, and been as comfortable as a compact sedan (see: econobox) can possibly be. I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds, and have driven in it for 20+ hours straight (a hellacious trip from West Yellowstone to OKC in one go). I've never gotten so much as a check engine light on this thing *knock on wood*.

The Good:

There's a lot of good to this car. A lot of it I already covered in the original post. The powertrain has been flawless, and was a big reason why I went with this car. The 6 speed auto (an in-house design for Hyun/Kia) shifts perfectly, the engine gets great gas mileage, and it's all fairly easy to service. Oil changes are gravy, especially with the fomoto drain valve installed. The trans is a sealed unit, and not the easiest to service, but it's not obnoxious either. I've either serviced it or had it serviced twice so far, once with OEM Hyundai SPIV-M fluid, and once with Amsoil. It will get Amsoil going forward.

Interior wise, it's held up really well. Electronics work well, the heated cloth seats are awesome, and the dual climate control is a lifesaver. There've been complaints about the A/C not being super cold, or the heater not getting very warm. I've had none of those issues. I've measured 43*F out of the vents on "Lo" and 104*F on "Hi". I'm not really sure how/where that compares to other cars, but I've got no complaints and I've lived in places that get pretty low temps in the winter and pretty high temps in the summer. The dashboard material has held up well over the years. It's spent most of its life parked in the sun and there's no fading anywhere. That said, I've always treated it with UV protectant, so that's probably played a role. The Apple CarPlay/Android Auto has been awesome. It is kind of funny to me that this car came with it, but my family member's 2017 Lexus ES350 didn't.

Reliability has been great. Really not much to add here, as everything I've had to do the car has been preventative. It's still fairly young at 76k miles, but it's met every expectation. My original brake pads are down to 3mm, so changing them out is in my near future. Getting 76k miles off of them is not too shabby, though. Admittedly, there's obviously a lot of highway driving, but there's been plenty of city driving as well.

The Bad:

I'm going to be pretty picky here, because truth be told, there's not much bad about the car. The dealerships are a different story, though. I hate Hyundai dealerships with a passion that burns deep.

• The car, expectedly, came with really cheap tires. Crappy things that I couldn't get off fast enough. I know I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I bring it up again because I see that a lot of the Elantras on the used market (some with similar mileage to mine now) still have the OEM tires on them. If you want to buy an Elantra and it still has the OEM tires on it, no matter the mileage, budget to replace them ASAP.
  • The "soft touch" covering on the door panel is peeling. I don't have pictures, but this is a common problem with these cars. Mine's not bad (yet), but I've seen some that get really bad. Most people get it fixed and the places that fix it sand it down and paint it. It looks great, but I've read that it feels "off", which makes sense. I haven't worried about fixing it yet.
  • The engine sounds unrefined. On top of that, it's underpowered. Traveling up and down hills on the highway (a common occurrence around these parts) will require the transmission to shift up and down constantly trying to hold 75 mph. It's tolerable, but annoying.
  • The headlights are not great. I'm needing to replace them. To do that, if you're unable to turn the housing (like I am), you need to remove the housing. To remove the housing, you need to pull out the front bumper. Ridiculously annoying.
  • I've had three door lock actuators break. Very annoying, because it turns your 4 door Elantra into a 3 Door Elantra/Veloster hybrid. This is a SUPER common problem though, and Hyundai extended the warranty on them to 10 years, unlimited mileage. All 3 times the locks have been replaced under the warranty, without issue from the dealer (an uncommon occurrence).
  • The OEM battery.. leaves a lot to be desired. It made it 3 years. I replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top and it's been solid ever since.
  • There are two types of OEM ignition coils. One type was faulty and led to a TSB, which updated the coil. My car had the pre-update coils, so I changed them out at about 60k miles. An unexpected expense, but it was really easy to get done.
  • EDIT: I remembered another "bad" to list. The headlight housing is starting to mess up. It's almost like it's delaminating or something in places. It's not awful, and it's not leaking, so I'll leave it for the time being. That said, it's on my radar of things to replace in the future.

All in all, it really has been a good car. There's been a lot of maintenance done to it, and maybe that's contributed to its performance thus far, but it's been very solid. Are there a lot of flaws to it? Absolutely. The paint is on the cheaper end, the interior materials are cheaper, it lacks a bit of refinement. That said, I didn't pay for all of those things. What I paid for was economical, reliable transportation and I got that in spades. I also think that exterior and interior wise, it looks as good or better than most of what you can find in that class of car. Overall, I'd buy it over again in a heartbeat.
IMG-1579.jpg
IMG-1580.jpg
IMG-1581.jpg
IMG-1583.jpg

Bonus under valve cover pics through the borescope (sorry it's not great quality):
Engine 1.JPG
Engine 2.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm a pretty good bargainer but getting a $21K vehicle for $14K would be pretty hard to do.....Can you tell me how to do it?....I'd pick up a Ioniq Hybrid if I could get it for 33% off sticker price....

I paid around 14,700 for my son's elantra new. You have to be willing to walk. It does help to surf their internet specials and walk in saying i want that, if you don't **** around, i'll sign right now for this price. After they agree, you reject any and all add-ons like carpet and seat treatment, floor mats, ext warranties ( its warrantied to 100k drivetrain anyway).
I agree on the willingness to walk. My wife had her MUSTANG GT stolen and we went to multiple dealers, finally ending up at a high volume ford dealer. We were walking away from a Ford Thunderbird Super coup with every option except cell phone. The owner of the dealership ran outside to stop us leaving and we made the deal. Very fast car

Back