Turbo Durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
With a turbo pulling into a rest stop on highway you need to idle for a few minutes before turning engine off. That helps cool down turbo & engine.

This is so wrong........it's not 2010 anymore...did you comment on the car wash thread too?

There were several pages on that one of guys not knowing what they were talking about.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If they made a 2020 Hyundai Sonata with a carbed SBC, the old dudes on this board would praise it and and then immediately buy something else.

That pretty much sums up this thread. We're not living in the 1980s anymore and some of the guys here think their 15K mile/year daily commute to work and walmart and back is a race at Road America.

Buy a normal daily driver with a turbo and don't think anything more about it. Keep the maintenance updated with it like you do with any other car and you'll be fine.

Buy a car with a turbo, modify it, and drive it like you stole it and yea the chances of problems will occur like in any other car.

Last edited:
i can guarantee with 100% accuracy that an engine with out a turbo will not have a turbo or turbo related failure. That being said I greatly enjoy the performance of the 2.7 engine in my Ford F150.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
The BITOG dilemma: I want a new car with all of the stuff I like about new cars (modern looks, interior and amenities) but none of the stuff I don't like about new cars (mechanical sophistication). If you want a simple car, buy an old one.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. I've seen many of these threads, because anachronistic old codgers want a new car but don't trust turbos or DI.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ So you can wear out the tranny/axles/hubs and suspension faster? 175HP is plenty for that size vehicle on public roads.

I floor my vehicles so seldom that doing so would qualify as "an event". If I don't floor them, what did I need a more powerful engine for? Not on a car anyway, towing at highway speeds, grades and all, different story.

So, would you like to buy my pitifully slow 2.5 NA Escape? I'd be happy to sell it to you for the remainder on my loan.

I floor it 10x a day at a minimum. On public roads.

Last edited:
Our prior vehicle was a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon with the WRX engine (250HP). We drove it without any mechanical problems till 240k over 13 years with 4K conventional oil changes. It did at end end have a bunch of oil lines related to turbo leaking.

The turbo never failed.

Originally Posted by tc1446
I'm skeptical of relatively new stuff, turbo's for example
. Looking online I find a number of vehicles I'd look at available only with turbo's. Being old school, and thinking of getting a new car or small SUV, I don't need lots of HP and prefer something simple as possible. Have turbo's been used long enough to prove relatively trouble free?

What is relatively new? Audi's from 1980's had actually very reliable turbo. Diesels with turbo are must item on engines since end of 1970's.

Originally Posted by brages
205k on my 2006 turbo Volvo and still whirring right along...

How are you today Mr. Colombo?

BTW.... I recall my buddy Virgil's late 1980s Dodge Daytona turbo. He (age early 30s) burned it-up within three years of use. The oils back then were garbage in controlling heat dissipation, compared to today.

Last edited:
Turbos are a "relatively new" technology? My first turbocharged cars were a 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and a 1991 Volvo 740 Turbo. I've owned three more since then and only replaced one turbo- on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3; under warranty pursuant to a TSB caused by a batch of turbos with defective seals.
Thanks to turbocharging and DI I'm able to own a car that returns over 26 mpg in daily use yet runs the quarter in the high twelves.
As I like to say, THESE are the good old days.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by brages
205k on my 2006 turbo Volvo and still whirring right along...

How are you today Mr. Colombo?

BTW.... I recall my buddy Virgil's late 1980s Dodge Daytona turbo. He (age early 30s) burned it-up within three years of use. The oils back then were garbage in controlling heat dissipation, compared to today.

From car company that bankrupt bcs. of quality products? Many cars in 80's had turbos. Many did not fail after 3 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I owned a 13' VW GTI and sold it to my brother with 166K on it. He's a pharmacist and doesn't wanna park his new Acura MDX at work.
My wife put a ton of company paid miles on it. It's on the original turbo.
The base Ford Fusion is rated 21 city, 31 highway with 175 HP and 175 LB at 4500 RPM.
The 2.0L EcoBoost Fusion is rated 21 city, 31 highway with 245 HP on premium, 231 HP on 87 octane and 275 LB at a lower 3000 RPM.
Same fuel economy vs the base Fusion with 100 more pounds of torque, give me the more powerful engine.

That is a near exact story for my CX5 turbo. I had a 2.5 non-turbo 2015 CX5 prior, and it's worlds better with the turbo in EVERY WAY, even mpg actual. I averaged around 24mpg in my old CX5, and my current lifetime average over 26K miles in my new CX5 is 26.4mpg. It's also actually semi-fast in a 4-banger SUV sort of way, lol!

Originally Posted by MCompact
Turbos are a "relatively new" technology? My first turbocharged cars were a 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and a 1991 Volvo 740 Turbo. I've owned three more since then and only replaced one turbo- on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3; under warranty pursuant to a TSB caused by a batch of turbos with defective seals.
Thanks to turbocharging and DI I'm able to own a car that returns over 26 mpg in daily use yet runs the quarter in the high twelves.

You believe this site is bad regarding embracing what is? Start a discussion on any AT with more than 4 forward gears.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Isn't changing a turbo really not that difficult on a lot of cars?

Correct. And on the rare occasion one does fail, they're usually not even that expensive. Each turbo on a 2.7 Ford EcoBoost is UNDER $400, straight from the dealer.

The turbo on my 1.0 EcoBoost is under $400 too.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by MCompact

You believe this site is bad regarding embracing what is? Start a discussion on any AT with more than 4 forward gears.

Or no gears at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back