F150 Cam Phasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I own a 2007 F150 with the 5.4. Everyone knows about the potential for cam phaser failure in these engines, and I'm wondering how best to prevent the issue from victimizing me. What can I do to prevent it?

I cannot comment on the 5.4 but I have some experience on the 5.0. The best stop gap, kind of keep it running method so far is changing the oil early and using a 30 weight. Using what ever house brand 5w20 synthetic would cause stalling, rough idle and check engine lights maybe 6,000km in.

Having the oil control solenoids and phasers changed did not help much. I now run 5w30. It was able to clear the latest check engine light and not stall out. It still has a weird idle.

lots of these engines had issues but remember there were well over a million sold. I had an 04 up until 2015. Was a great truck. My recommendation is first do the sending unit back by the spare tire. So cheap and they are known to be crap. I used a Dorman if I remember correctly. Was good to go. I never had an issues with the phasers or the chains. I did make sure I was preventive and changed out the solenoids. There are updated solenoids. Only other issue I can remember is the passenger side window motor. This and 5k OCI's still has mine running. Sold it to a guy I work with and he's not don anything but tires and oil changes.

The bottom half of these engines are seriously strong. If you can take care of the top half you will have a solid truck. Issue is gas mileage....it sux!

Those engines do not like extended OCI's. I agree with what fordtechmakuloco states on YouTube, change your oil every 5000 with a good synthetic and run 5w-30 not 5w-20. If I were rebuilding one I would install a Melling high volume oil pump also and use only Ford timing components. I believe the timing components have been revised 2 or 3 times by Ford since 2004. The problem starts with the factory oil pump losing pressure over time causing lower flow to the timing components.

Last edited:
I put over 100,000 miles on my 2005 5.4 without any problems. I changed oil and filter every 5000 and went up to 5w30 after warranty. Never had a problem with my fuel control module but carried a spare as insurance. I did hear a lot about the cam phasers and spark plug change out problems.

Can phaser problems with these engine are blown WAY out of proportion

Usually because of owner neglect
But gets tons of attention around here

Originally Posted by Chris142
This guy says to replace the engine. Not worth trying to fix. https://youtu.be/xcN_WcGr4BU

That guy is full of it. The timing system is a bad design, but it's far from the worst engine on the road. I don't buy American vehicles anymore, but the 5.4 can last a long time if maintained.

Originally Posted by atc250r
So I own a 2007 F150 with the 5.4. Everyone knows about the potential for cam phaser failure in these engines, and I'm wondering how best to prevent the issue from victimizing me. What can I do to prevent it?

When a question like this is asked, you get anecdotal stories like "My F-150 with the 5.4 lasted XXX,XXX miles, so you will be fine...". That does not answer the question though.

To directly answer it, my mechanic suggested use 10w-30 and nothing but 10w-30. Thats about all you can do. The cam chasers are, to some degree, a ticking time bomb. I owned a F-150 and sold it as the mileage climbed. The choice is dependent on a number of factors, so only you can decide.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by atc250r

When a question like this is asked, you get anecdotal stories like "My F-150 with the 5.4 lasted XXX,XXX miles, so you will be fine...". That does not answer the question though.

To directly answer it, my mechanic suggested use 10w-30 and nothing but 10w-30. Thats about all you can do. The cam chasers are, to some degree, a ticking time bomb. I owned a F-150 and sold it as the mileage climbed. The choice is dependent on a number of factors, so only you can decide.

Or we get people with completely different engines chiming in LOL

I ran a 2010 on nothing but xW-20 for 158,000 miles and towed heavy in various temperatures and terrain for at least 45% of those miles. I even ran extended OCIs after reaching 100K and had zero can phaser issues.

Though some engines seem to be destined to have problems no matter what, Internet amplification runs rampant in the case of problems versus no issues at all.

I would run synthetic oil in it with a non-Motorcraft or Mann+Hummel filter and change it every 10K and rest easy.

How do the phasers actually fail ? Curious as to the nature. Would MSo2 have any effect, or would that make it worse?

Has anyone tried one of the cam phaser lockout kits. They lock the phaser in the advanced position, the ecm needs a tune for this too.

Also, this truck is driven daily in Canadian winters for only a 5 mile drive to work each day, so I imagine it's in bypass most of the winter (oil doesn't reach operating temp and thin out). I do run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 in winter. I also run Amsoil EAO11 filters, changed every oil change (spring and fall, usually only 4000 miles)

The issue can definitely be caused by poor maintenance but can also be luck of the draw. Let me give you two examples:

- I recently sold my 2010 F150. I bought it with 97k and a good service history. At just under 104k, the motor crapped out due to a failed cam follower.

- My brother bought his '07 new and still owns it. It's sitting at 165k now, no issues whatsoever. The maintenance has been poor, long ocis, short trips etc. Truck runs fine, no noises etc. My brothers BIL also has an '07, not sure of miles but no failures.

My point is, take care of it and you can likely get many miles out of the truck. I personally recommend 5w30 but obviously 20 works(sounds like you are on top of the maintenance). I wouldn't stretch the OCI's too far either. There are so many of these engines on the road. And while I disagree that it is an uncommon issue, it is in the minority for the 5.4 if you look at the big picture.

Originally Posted by BrianF
I cannot comment on the 5.4 but I have some experience on the 5.0. The best stop gap, kind of keep it running method so far is changing the oil early and using a 30 weight. Using what ever house brand 5w20 synthetic would cause stalling, rough idle and check engine lights maybe 6,000km in.

Having the oil control solenoids and phasers changed did not help much. I now run 5w30. It was able to clear the latest check engine light and not stall out. It still has a weird idle.
I've never heard of any widespread issues with the 5.0 phasers, which are completely different from the 5.4.

This guy says to replace the engine. Not worth trying to fix. https://youtu.be/xcN_WcGr4BU

And he's wrong.....It all boils down to "Mechanics" wanting to swap whole components! That engine wasn't badly sludged at all & didn't have a Follower failure....As he would have certainly said something!
He has no proof that the "Small Oil Passages" clogged up.....Because they didn't!

Ford redesigned the spark plugs & cylinder heads for 2008, With his alleged level of knowledge on this engine.....Why not state this? Too busy making engine noises?

Using Idenifix/Direct Hit as further proof?? While I like Direct Hit & even subscribe to it myself.....Some of the "Confirmed Fixes" should be taken with grain of salt!

Last but certainly not least.....The Ford repair procedure for timing chains & Phasers on this engine is BS!!!!!!! They can be done EXACTLY like a 2V engine with the exception of the cam gear holding tool so the bolt can be torqued properly.

Google "F150 cam phaser failure". You can literally read horror stories for days on end if you want to. Lots of YouTube videos to see too. Some will make your toes curl. One mechanic known as "The Car Wizard" calls this engine the worst ever made. There are other issues as well, such as the plastic chain guides failing.

I chose to sell my F-150 before any issues showed up. It's 100% your choice of course!. Just educate yourself first before proceeding!

The phaser thing is the same as any "rampant issue" some people have constant issues, and other have none whatsoever. I do see them going bad, and a lot is from lack of maintenance. I am in the camp that a 5/10W30 is better for these than a 5W20, especially out of warranty. There are updated phasers and solenoids. The job itself isn't really that bad. FordTechMakuloco has a series of videos where he walks you through step by step how to do the job. I also thing the Melling high pressure/volume oil pump is a must and would do it if I owned one of these trucks.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

And he's wrong.....It all boils down to "Mechanics" wanting to swap whole components! That engine wasn't badly sludged at all & didn't have a Follower failure....As he would have certainly said something!
He has no proof that the "Small Oil Passages" clogged up.....Because they didn't!

Ford redesigned the spark plugs & cylinder heads for 2008, With his alleged level of knowledge on this engine.....Why not state this? Too busy making engine noises?

Using Idenifix/Direct Hit as further proof?? While I like Direct Hit & even subscribe to it myself.....Some of the "Confirmed Fixes" should be taken with grain of salt!

Last but certainly not least.....The Ford repair procedure for timing chains & Phasers on this engine is BS!!!!!!! They can be done EXACTLY like a 2V engine with the exception of the cam gear holding tool so the bolt can be torqued properly.

I have done many successful 5.4 cam phaser jobs (usually without even pulling the front cover), and only once did a cylinder head have to come off because it just wasn't getting enough oil to work.

I do think the 5.4 is generally a hunk of junk and I will never own one, but they do make me money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back