Jumping Ship To Castrol Magnatec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Valvoline advanced ( in 5W30 form) will eat its lunch. Much quicker revviing and better cold starts better fuel mileage, cleaner running on extended OCI.

Pay a bit more and get a LOT more. What's 7 bucks over 9K miles.

Don't be a penny-pincher to no benefit and lose out.

But If you like UOA for proof, should have one soon.

Between Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w-30 and Castrol Magnatec 5w-20, in my 2010 Escape, well, the engine sounds and feels exactly the same. UOA after 12K on the Valvoline was A-OK, and in a few weeks I'll have a UOA on the Magnatec. But I suspect they will both perform fine.

Have run both of these in my Soul in 5w30, and noticed the VAS quieted down the 2.0 even better than the Magnatec did. Both are also pretty close in price at my WM, so the choice between the two will likely come down to personal preference. I agree that both will most likely perform more than adequately for my use, so again, all down to preference. Will be watching for the UOA; curious to see how things compare.

Originally Posted by BucDan
What's the difference between Magnatec and GTX?

What I am wondering is what's the difference between Magnatec and Edge?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by BucDan
What's the difference between Magnatec and GTX?

Me too. I know one thing - Edge has titanium, about 100ppm in Edge Supercar 10w/60.
The whole FST technology sounds a bit unclear/marketingy to me...

I have nothing but positive reports for magnatec. I do not notice it darkening any sooner than any other oils.

There's a few differences between the two with edge being a bit beefier than Magnatec. Perhaps the most notable difference is the Calcium and Magnesium levels are inverted for Edge, there's less Titanium in Edge, but it is a thicker oil with a higher base number. Magnatec has a much higher dose of Boron.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nlife
Magnatec gets decent reviews for the ecoboost engines and seems to be good choice based on UOA's and overall price. Some folks are even running it for 9000 mile OCI's and it's holding up. Unfortunately it's not readily available in my neck of the woods so I haven't been able to try it.

If Walmart will deliver to you, I just bought a 3 pack of 5 quarts delivered for $45. Pretty happy since I have 2 Ecoboosts

Originally Posted by nlife

There's a few differences between the two with edge being a bit beefier than Magnatec. Perhaps the most notable difference is the Calcium and Magnesium levels are inverted for Edge, there's less Titanium in Edge, but it is a thicker oil with a higher base number. Magnatec has a much higher dose of Boron.

[Linked Image]

I see you're quoting my VOA for Magnatec, I knew it would be helpful!
thumbsup2.gif
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4844219/1

according to the data sheet from Castrol, Magnatec 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.15 and a NOACK of 8.9%. but they don't list that when you do a test at Blackstone, or I didn't pay for it..

Originally Posted by researcher
nlife said:
I see you're quoting my VOA for Magnatec, I knew it would be helpful!
thumbsup2.gif
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4844219/1

according to the data sheet from Castrol, Magnatec 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.15 and a NOACK of 8.9%. but they don't list that when you do a test at Blackstone, or I didn't pay for it..

Yep, I've scoured the internet looking for UOA/VOA's and have been building a spreadsheet for 5w30 oils in the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost. I've been trying to fill it in with msds and any other information I can find . It's a work in progress, but I have 10-12 oils in the sheet now. It's been pretty helpful for me so far when looking at the wall of oils available and avoiding marketing hype for factual data.

I'll update my sheet with HTHS and NOACK numbers now. Thanks for posting.

N

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back